Apple switching to SMB2 as default file sharing protocol in OS X 10.9

So Apple is going to switching to using SMB2 as the default file sharing protocol in OS X 10.9. AFP will still be used for talking to older Macs or when working with Time Machine, for the time being. If they eventually enable Time Machine over SMB we could be looking at the solution to some major headaches.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/11/apple-shifts-from-afp-file-sharing-to-smb2-in-os-x-109-mavericks

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it's a slow migration. AFP will have to be supported for the next few years...  Apple still haven't fixed issues with their SMBX service, which is heinously unreliable. Most of their applications still don't support SMB properly, including Finder and iTunes.

At least the latest Netatalk gets rid of the appleDouble db files from shares. It would be wise to continue keeping AFP on unRAID for at least the foreseeable future.

I've been using Time Machine Over SMB. ;)

http://www.jamesbadger.ca/2012/09/12/mountain-lion-time-machine-over-afp-auto-mount-edition/

I just connect to the share I created for Time Machine and launch Time Machine manually. When I'm don'e I eject each connection and walk away.

So far I've done both my iMac and my MacBook Pro. I've backed them both up at least 4 times in the last few days.

The only problem I had was creating the Sparse.Bundle file on the share, but created the Sparse.bundle file on each Mac and then just copied it over to the share and connected to it.

So far no file corruption. lol

Hmmm, Interesting. I'll watch SMB, but I think when I was using it long time ago mine kept getting screwed up. I wonder if its just a SMB thing, but I originally blamed it on my "network, time machine disconnecting, and lord knows what."

Hmmmm, maybe I should reconsider my mount and go with AFP instead.