unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc14 Available

Download | Release Notes

This release fixes a number of Open Issues.

Two things of note:

1. When you upgrade, please copy bzimage, bzroot, and syslinux.cfg from the release to your flash.  This is because the 'default' boot now includes a kernel parameter that limits the amount of memory used by linux to 4GB.  When the boot screen comes up you can hit a key and select the normal boot if your h/w platform doesn't have the "slow write" issue.  This "slow write" issue is actually fixed in the latest linux kernel, but unfortunately, the latest linux kernel also exhibits a more serious regression that can cause a system crash when you try to Stop the array.  I have posted info about this issue on the appropriate linux development mailing list, and when a patch is produced, I will resume periodic updates of the kernel to the latest release.

2. The 'Settings/NFS' page now includes a tunable parameter called (fuse_remember).  Please click on the the page title bar to bring up the help that explains what this tunable is for.  Please disregard the instructions from -rc13 that had you create a "extra.cfg" file - if you have this file, please delete it.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did found that every time I browse an hdd on web interface ( i.e. /Main/Browse?dir=/mnt/disk1 ) I do get error lines printed on console like:

/file_path.... user.LOCATION: No such attribute

Using simple features? or another webGui-changing add-on?  That may be the problem.

no, no addons at all.

Ok, there's a bug, but it happens to work on my test system  :P

Do you know 'vi'?  If so, edit the file

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/indexer/Browse.php

and change line 32 which reads:

'disk' => show_disk ? `getfattr --only-values --absolute-names -n user.LOCATION "$path"` : "" );

to

'disk' => $show_disk ? `getfattr --only-values --absolute-names -n user.LOCATION "$path"` : "" );

(add a $ in front of 'show_disk')

Then check to see if error message goes away.

So is this a good release?  ... or is there going to be a 14a to resolve the "$'s in front of variables" you noted?

Also, I have not shut down since installing RC13 (didn't want to encounter the shutdown problem) ==> are there specific instructions for the shutdown/reboot when I switch versions that will reduce the likelihood of this crashing my system?

So is this a good release?  ... or is there going to be a 14a to resolve the "$'s in front of variables" you noted?

Also, I have not shut down since installing RC13 (didn't want to encounter the shutdown problem) ==> are there specific instructions for the shutdown/reboot when I switch versions that will reduce the likelihood of this crashing my system?

The 'crash' happens during un-mount of the data disks.  By this time all data has been 'sync'ed to disk.  The worst that can happen is that upon restart the s/w will think there's been an 'unclean' shutdown and start a parity-check.  But it's ok to cancel this check because all the data is safe.

Thanks Tom.  Good to know there's no danger of data corruption from the shutdown (if I even have any issue).    I'll upgrade tomorrow ... last thing I want before hitting the sack is a problem with UnRAID !!  8)  [Don't expect one ... but Murphy does seem to have a way ...]

Does your comment "... Damn php $'s in front of variables... " have anything to do with this release?  Wasn't clear to me what that discussion was about.    Is this something that's going to result in a 14a "real soon now" to resolve it?

Does your comment "... Damn php $'s in front of variables... " have anything to do with this release?  Wasn't clear to me what that discussion was about.    Is this something that's going to result in a 14a "real soon now" to resolve it?

It's a minor nit that will be fixed in the next release.

Can we post a one liner that users can use to patch this file and save having a new release for some a triviality?

This should do it:

sed -i  " s/ show_disk / \$show_disk /" /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/indexer/Browse.php

You can put it at the end of your "config/go" script or just run it each time you reboot on the command line.  It specifically looks for show_disk proceeded by a space, so it does no harm if run multiple times or on a subsequent repaired file.

Can we post a one liner that users can use to patch this file and save having a new release for some a triviality?

This should do it:

sed -i  " s/ show_disk / \$show_disk /" /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/indexer/Browse.php

You can put it at the end of your "config/go" script or just run it each time you reboot.  It specifically looks for show_disk proceeded by a space, si it does no harm if run multiple times or on a subsequent repaired file.

Or just run it once in terminal???

EDIT: I suppose not huh?  /usr/ is in ram isn't it?  So this NEEDS to be run each boot to patch the file in ram?

This should do it:

You can put it at the end of your "config/go" script or just run it each time you reboot.  It specifically looks for show_disk proceeded by a space, si it does no harm if run multiple times or on a subsequent repaired file.

Or just run it once in terminal???

EDIT: I suppose not huh?  /usr/ is in ram isn't it?  So this NEEDS to be run each boot to patch the file in ram?

correct.

In rc14, is there a way to permanently enable RAM over 4GB without attaching a monitor? My servers run headless and I don't have a monitor in the server area.

Cheers.

Edit the syslinux.cfg file to look like the below.  Notice that "menu default" is moved to the "label unRAID OS"

section.

default menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology LLC
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
   menu default
   kernel bzimage
   append initrd=bzroot
label unRAID OS (4G RAM limit)
   kernel bzimage
   append initrd=bzroot mem=4095M 
label Memtest86+
   kernel memtest

Updated to RC14 (using the unlimited RAM option).  Stopped array and rebooted 3 or 4 times...no hangs/crashes.  Running a parity check now.

Total size: 2 TB 
Current position: 53.52 GB (3%) 
Estimated speed: 102.18 MB/sec 
Estimated finish: 318 minutes 
Sync errors corrected: 0 

I won't know if OpenELEC plays nicely with the NFS shares until I get home later but I don't expect any issues.

John

Was the cache removed from from rc14 for basic edition? it didn't show back up as a option after I upgraded. I was growing to really love that option :)

yeah it was.

tom stated here that it's rc13 only and it's coming back when cache pool feature is enabled (which i hope is coming sooner rather than later  ;))