unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc14 Available

In rc14, is there a way to permanently enable RAM over 4GB without attaching a monitor? My servers run headless and I don't have a monitor in the server area.

Cheers.

Edit the syslinux.cfg file to look like the below.  Notice that "menu default" is moved to the "label unRAID OS"

section.

default menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology LLC
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
   menu default
   kernel bzimage
   append initrd=bzroot
label unRAID OS (4G RAM limit)
   kernel bzimage
   append initrd=bzroot mem=4095M 
label Memtest86+
   kernel memtest

OR don't overwrite syslinux.cfg when you do the upgrade.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In rc14, is there a way to permanently enable RAM over 4GB without attaching a monitor? My servers run headless and I don't have a monitor in the server area.

Cheers.

Edit the syslinux.cfg file to look like the below.  Notice that "menu default" is moved to the "label unRAID OS"

section.

Muchas gracias.

Was the cache removed from from rc14 for basic edition? it didn't show back up as a option after I upgraded. I was growing to really love that option :)

See http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27803.msg245759#msg245759

I didn't see that and as I was running out of space I bought a new 3gb drive and kept the 1.5gb as another (6th) data disk. It doesn't matter for the moment but I really hope that the <?> option appears quickly so I can upgrade to a sensible level.

Was the cache removed from from rc14 for basic edition? it didn't show back up as a option after I upgraded. I was growing to really love that option :)

See http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27803.msg245759#msg245759

I didn't see that and as I was running out of space I bought a new 3gb drive and kept the 1.5gb as another (6th) data disk. It doesn't matter for the moment but I really hope that the <?> option appears quickly so I can upgrade to a sensible level.

Just buy a Plus license and you'll be at a "sensible level" ... and when final is out you'll be able to use up to 8 disks in whatever assignments you want  :)

Can we post a one liner that users can use to patch this file and save having a new release for some a triviality?

This should do it:

sed -i  " s/ show_disk / \$show_disk /" /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/indexer/Browse.php

You can put it at the end of your "config/go" script or just run it each time you reboot on the command line.  It specifically looks for show_disk proceeded by a space, so it does no harm if run multiple times or on a subsequent repaired file.

Thanks Joe.

Okay -- going to upgrade to RC14 in a bit.  If I do the following I think I (a) won't have the 4GB memory limit; and (b) won't have the "nit" messages appearing on the console ==> could one of you Linux gurus please confirm that's the case [Joe, WeeboTech, Tom, ProStuff, etc.] ?

(a)  Remove these 4 lines from the new syslinux.cfg:

menu default

kernel bzimage

(2)  Add this line (as Joe posted above) to the end of my GO script:

sed -i  " s/ show_disk / \$show_disk /" /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/indexer/Browse.php

so what happens if you had rc13 and used all 8 drives for the plus version, and now with rc14 you only get 7?

I suppose you should either (a) NOT upgrade to RC14 [just don't shut down at all until v5 is released so you avoid the shutdown issue];  or (b) upgrade to a Pro license [if you're at the 8 drive limit it's probably time to do that anyway  :) ]

Can we post a one liner that users can use to patch this file and save having a new release for some a triviality?

This should do it:

You can put it at the end of your "config/go" script or just run it each time you reboot on the command line.  It specifically looks for show_disk proceeded by a space, so it does no harm if run multiple times or on a subsequent repaired file.

Thanks Joe.

Okay -- going to upgrade to RC14 in a bit.  If I do the following I think I (a) won't have the 4GB memory limit; and (b) won't have the "nit" messages appearing on the console ==> could one of you Linux gurus please confirm that's the case [Joe, WeeboTech, Tom, ProStuff, etc.] ?

menu default

kernel bzimage

You may have to move "menu default" to the other boot option for unRAID.  (I've no idea what it will do if one is missing a "default" choice.)

so what happens if you had rc13 and used all 8 drives for the plus version, and now with rc14 you only get 7?

This is what happened to me. I spent nearly 2 hours putting in another hard drive and re-cabling and then Tom said it was a mistake. This upset me and I had a rant about the RC's going backwards which wasn't very constructive and was done in haste.  I upset Tom and he offered a refund which I took, in hindsight I wish had not reacted the way I did.

first, i'm not in this boat, but playing devil's advocate here.

what if you already added the 8th drive, now you're expected to pay more or stay at rc13 (for who knows how long)??

this needs some consideration from Tom if I'm reading this right.

I'm not in this boat either -- even though one of my systems would easily be served by a Plus license, I only buy Pro licenses when I need one.

... but my view is that (a) the number of folks who may be impacted by this specific circumstance (i.e. the number of folks "in that boat") is undoubtedly very small;  (b)  Tom's got plenty on his plate right now trying to deal with the issues the new kernel caused in RC13 ... I think the decision to revert kernels until everything's resolved was a good one;  and ©  the cost of an upgrade to Pro is very nominal -- so the "solution" for anyone in that boat is to simply bite the bullet and upgrade.    All they need to do is (a) buy the upgrade and replace their key file FIRST;  and then (b) upgrade to RC14.

This is what happened to me. I spent nearly 2 hours putting in another hard drive and re-cabling and then Tom said it was a mistake. This upset me and I had a rant about the RC's going backwards which wasn't very constructive and was done in haste.  I upset Tom and he offered a refund which I took, in hindsight I wish had not reacted the way I did.

That was certainly very generous of Tom.    Now all you need to do is buy a Pro key and you can reconstitute your system without any issue  :)

This should do it:

Thanks Joe.

menu default

kernel bzimage

For a) just move the "menu default" line from the 4G RAM limit one to the one that does not have that title.

I do this for almost all unRAID releases

That was certainly very generous of Tom.    Now all you need to do is buy a Pro key and you can reconstitute your system without any issue  :)

That's what I should have done in the first place. Too late now.

No it's not.

"Too late now." ????    Why would you say that?    Just buy a Pro key and you're good to go !

Once nice thing about the Pro keys -- and I doubt this will ever change -- is that they always get the max drives that Tom supports.  He may add an intermediate-level license (as he's indicated might happen), but I doubt he'll ever add one "above" the Pro level.

Switched to RC14 and all is well  :)

Did the mods I referred to above so it's not limited to 4GB (since I don't have that issue), and added the line Joe L suggested to my GO script so I shouldn't have the unnecessary lines on my console (no monitor currently hooked up to confirm, but the systems working fine, so I suspect it's all good).

Just kicked off a parity check to see if there's any difference in the timings from the previous one -- I'll know the answer to that in ~ 7:30  :)

Just buy a Plus license and you'll be at a "sensible level" ... and when final is out you'll be able to use up to 8 disks in whatever assignments you want  :)

I've already got a Plus key I need either the possibly new mystery one or a pro key but I really don't want to fork out $59 this month.

What is annoying is that I may have a bug and I can't confirm due to my mistake. I tried to boot RC14 using the default 4gb option and it ground to a halt while booting. This was resolved eventually by using the first unraid (no memory limit) option but that could be because I'm running a plus key with 6 data drives (me bad). For reference the machine is a virtual machine (using esxi) with 1gb of ram allocated to it.