Cache drive not automatically spinning down?

hdparm -S 3 /dev/sdX

I will later test, if that setting survives a reboot - if yes, I am fine with that :-)

Just to give the feedback - it DID survive a warm reboot - so once I set it with command above all is fine. I forgot to test cold boot - but actually it is now working fine, so I can live with it like that - worst case would be to add the manual setting to go script ...

Don't use the in-drive spindown timers for any array disk or cache disk.  unraid uses "hdparm -S0" to spin-up drives so it will get overridden.  unraid manages all drive spinup/spindown and the in-drive timers are not used.

I know I am a noob so forgive me, but could you just set it so that from installation it sets the cache drive to spin down to say 1 hour? this would save a lot of this confusion since most ppl come here asking why their cache drive wont spin down and often its because they don't know they have to go and manually set it to do it.

Edit: Well from response below, maybe I just remembered incorrectly. Nvm then...

Completely vanilla unRaid, 10 discs + parity + cache, all WD Greens (8 running off on board SATA, 4 off SuperMicro 8 port SATA card).  No plugins, no extra software.

Set a spare drive as Cache, did not change any spin settings, left at default.

Cache drive does not spin down.

If I hit the spin down all drives button, it spins down.  Once I write to unRAID, it spins up again and stays up.

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing on my network that would make writes to the unRAID server without my instruction, and when I browse the cache drive it's empty.

Completely vanilla unRaid, 10 discs + parity + cache, all WD Greens (8 running off on board SATA, 4 off SuperMicro 8 port SATA card).  No plugins, no extra software.

Set a spare drive as Cache, did not change any spin settings, left at default.

Cache drive does not spin down.

If I hit the spin down all drives button, it spins down.  Once I write to unRAID, it spins up again and stays up.

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing on my network that would make writes to the unRAID server without my instruction, and when I browse the cache drive it's empty.

Please capture the system log at a point where all your other drives have spun down but cache drive did not, and also send me your "config/disk.cfg" file off your flash.  You can post here or send to me [email protected]

I wouldn't want my cache drive to spin down.  Who cares if one drive is always on to provide instant write access?

If this is being seen as a bug I would like an option to prevent the cache from spinning down.

Each drive has an individual spin-down control, so you can have it always spinning if you want.

browse the cache

Please capture the system log at a point where all your other drives have spun down but cache drive did not, and also send me your "config/disk.cfg" file off your flash.  You can post here or send to me [email protected]

As requested, please find attached

EDIT: Fixed the quote, and to add that I rebooted and waited for all other drives to spin down

Click on 'cache' link on Main page.  Under 'cache settings' what does it show for "Spin down delay"?

I wouldn't want my cache drive to spin down.  Who cares if one drive is always on to provide instant write access?

If this is being seen as a bug I would like an option to prevent the cache from spinning down.

That is not an issue, you already have that option... you can set the cache-drive spin-down to "never"

Joe L.