unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc15 Available

Come on, guys, it took us so many years to mount /var/log/ properly, let's please not cast shadows of doubt on it so quickly! :)

This is a good lesson in the danger of introducing any "new feature", however benign it seems, close to a release final.

Here are the directories I found from the extract

root@unRAID2:/mnt/disk1/unRAID# find bzroot-515/var/log -ls

9064    0 drwxr-xr-x  5 root    root            0 Jun 15 15:13 bzroot-515/var/log

9068    0 drwxr-xr-x  2 root    root            0 Jun 15 15:13 bzroot-515/var/log/plugins

9066    0 drwxrwxrwx  3 root    root            0 Jun 15 15:13 bzroot-515/var/log/setup

9067    0 drwxrwxrwx  2 root    root            0 Jun 15 15:13 bzroot-515/var/log/setup/tmp

9065    0 drwxrwxrwx  2 root    root            0 Jun 15 15:13 bzroot-515/var/log/samba

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, guys, it took us so many years to mount /var/log/ properly, let's please not cast shadows of doubt on it so quickly! :)

This is a good lesson in the danger of introducing any "new feature", however benign it seems, close to a release final.

Please no more new features :)

Put 5.0-rc15 into final ;) very good Release  8)

my "go" is stock and packages DID have plex in it, but i removed that. Anything on top of that would mean going back to complete stock and adding the plugins manually, which isn't particularly friendly and encouraging to update for each release.

Not suggesting that would be the permanent necessity, but would help to determine what this problem is.

It's my test system, so i'm here to help.

However i'm confused with what you are asking of me. 1) go script is stock 2) boot/packages is empty.

I still get stuck at the same place, is there something you want me to try? If i go to stock, i.e. wipe the USB and start again, won't that defeat the purpose?

my "go" is stock and packages DID have plex in it, but i removed that. Anything on top of that would mean going back to complete stock and adding the plugins manually, which isn't particularly friendly and encouraging to update for each release.

Not suggesting that would be the permanent necessity, but would help to determine what this problem is.

However i'm confused with what you are asking of me. 1) go script is stock 2) boot/packages is empty.

I still get stuck at the same place, is there something you want me to try? I i go to stock, i.e. wipe the USB and start again, won't that defeat the purpose?

The places to look are:

/boot/extra

/boot/plugins

/boot/config/plugins

No matter, I'll be releasing a -15a version soon to correct this.

I still get stuck at the same place, is there something you want me to try? I i go to stock, i.e. wipe the USB and start again, won't that defeat the purpose?

The places to look are:

/boot/extra

/boot/plugins

/boot/config/plugins

No matter, I'll be releasing a -15a version soon to correct this.

ok i see what you're getting at now...looking forward to 15a then :)

Is AFP broken in -rc15? I had to restart it to get it functioning correctly in -rc13...but I can't connect at all using my Mac via AFP with -rc15...

Works for me.  Can you post the system log?

Nevermind, it works, it just took like ~10 minutes to connect to the share for some reason.

Is AFP broken in -rc15? I had to restart it to get it functioning correctly in -rc13...but I can't connect at all using my Mac via AFP with -rc15...

Nevermind, it works, it just took like ~10 minutes to connect to the share for some reason.

Yes there is probably something not quite right with netatalk.  That particular component is down-rev from what's available now.  I will turn my attention back to both AFP and AD once '5.0' gets done.

I'm happy with RC15, but is the cache pool implemented? I have looked around but cant find any related configuration settings for this.

Thanks Tom for a GREAT work you do on this, now I looking forward to use the 64-bit release.  ;)

//Peter

Right, that feature won't make it in 5.0.

I'm happy with RC15, but is the cache pool implemented? I have looked around but cant find any related configuration settings for this.

Thanks Tom for a GREAT work you do on this, now I looking forward to use the 64-bit release.  ;)

//Peter

that's too bad. i quickly learned to love cache drive in basic edition :)

//Peter

"cache pool" is a little bit different than "cache drive", but you can have "cache drive" with a Plus key  8)

//Peter

"cache pool" is a little bit different than "cache drive", but you can have "cache drive" with a Plus key  8)

When you implement "cache pool" - will there be any performance feature built in? Maybe something like Raid 0.

i know, Plus licence is on the top of my list of things to buy, unfortunately i just moved to self employment, started new business, and money is rather tight now, so as much as i would like it, i can't justify the expense. i'll get it eventually, even if i don't neccesarly need the additional disks, just to show my gratitude for your hard work. some products are just worth supporting :)

When you implement "cache pool" - will there be any performance feature built in? Maybe something like Raid 0.

It will utilize btrfs where it's possible to set up a raid-0 and even a raid-10, so yes.

In your description of the new server, you refer to a 4-disk btrfs RAID-1 cache pool.  ["Our latest unRAID Server release supports several advanced features including a cache pool. For example, you can configure your 10 high capacity hard drives in an unRAID array, and configure 4 fast 2.5? SSD’s in a RAID-1 btrfs cache pool."

One thought & one question:

Thought:  =>  Seems like you should update the web page to remove that feature from the description, since it's not going to be true for a while  :)    [Or at least caveat that "... supports several advanced features, which, in a near-term "dot" release, will include a cache pool." ]

Question:  =>  Will the cache pool implementation permit setting up a 2-drive RAID-1 pool?  I'd love a fault-tolerant cache, but don't have room for 4 SSDs  8)    [i assume the answer to this is Yes, but am not familiar with btrfs, so don't know if that impacts the minimum number of disks.]

just loaded on my test bed unraid2 -  RC15 from RC14 - Booted fine

Mem  8 gig

cpu amd x240

RC15: PRO

Array came up quickly

Doing a parity check now -  Speed started at 112mps now steady at 101.7mps - looking very good (40 minutes into parity)

Menus are very quick to respond.

Hard drives

WD red 3tb - parity

wd red 2tb - disk1

seagate 2tb disk 2

wd ears 1.5 disk 3

wd ears 1.0 Cache drive

Various addons all working fine:

Sickbeard

Sabnzbd

Openvpn

Webserver

Apcupsd

mysql server

Airvideo

Plex

Simple Features

Subsonic

Looking great!!!

Thanks Tom and to all the troubleshooters!!

Radman

Parity check finished in 6:02 with no errors, 138.1 MB/s average speed.  Same duration, give or take a few seconds, as previous rc's.  So far, no issues to report with rc15.

Nice timing -- those 7200rpm drives do have some advantages  :)

By the way, next time you run a parity check, try this:  (a)  Spin up all your drives;  (b) click on Clear Statistics to reset all reads/writes/errors to zero;  ©  Do the parity test.

When it finishes, please post your read counters in this thread [Just the parity counter and the highest and lowest count for each different size drive you have]: 

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27893.0

Thanks -- just trying to collect a bit of data r.e. the variance of read counts.

Running rc15 on my test machine (lab) and all seems well!  System seems faster, but I lack previously logged parity check times because rc13 was having those shutdown issues.  The best I have is 50621sec (rc11a) vs 40922sec (rc15) ... so that's a substantial improvement!

Otherwise, copying files to the server are fast at ~40MB/s.  This is largely a stock system with only unMenu running.  I'll try a test with my main server soon.

Thanks Tom!!

A bit late in the day but:-

1) this release with the new syslinux.cfg booted first time without any issues.

2) I can stop the array with emhttp dying on me.

3) parity checks are the same speed as 13.

While it doesn't mean much for me this is as robust as 12 and exhibits neither of the problems I saw with rc13 and rc14.

Many thanks.

Yes there is probably something not quite right with netatalk.  That particular component is down-rev from what's available now.  I will turn my attention back to both AFP and AD once '5.0' gets done.

For me, it has always taken a while to access unraid via AFP from my MBP and hackintosh running OS X Lion, and sometimes frustratingly so. But I noticed that rc13 connected quicker. And now rc15 connects quicker than before, especially once the the drives spin up. I'm happy with the performance boost.  And no array crashes when stopping. Awesome, awesome.

Just curious if anyone knows why  the realtek kernel drivers would need to be

replaced in rc15(3.9.6) since they seemed to work in rc13(3.9.3) ?

FROM CHANGELOG:

"

Changes from 5.0-rc14 to 5.0-rc15

---------------------------------

- linux: use kernel 3.9.6-patched (patched with reiserfs sync superblock fix)

- linux: replace stock r8169 driver with Realtek r8168-8.036.00

"

Just curious if anyone knows why  the realtek kernel drivers would need to be

replaced in rc15(3.9.6) since they seemed to work in rc13(3.9.3) ?

FROM CHANGELOG:

"

Changes from 5.0-rc14 to 5.0-rc15

---------------------------------

- linux: use kernel 3.9.6-patched (patched with reiserfs sync superblock fix)

- linux: replace stock r8169 driver with Realtek r8168-8.036.00

"

There were reports of WOL (Wake-On-Lan) not working with stock linux drivers.  :-\