unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc15 Available

This changeling confuses me

"- slack: got rid of dangling 'initconfig' link in /root"

Why has initconfig been removed as it usage is all over the wiki. The emHTTP version seems to make the GUI forget existing disks as well requiring you to reassign disk order.

I run one unraid unprotected so this is highly annoying :)

Perhaps I am having a Sunday morning brain fart?

Otherwise all good so far

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

Just installed this version using the instructions and now some of my drives say

Partition format: MBR: 4K-aligned

File sytem type: unknown

What should I do (instructions said I should post here)?

Thanks! :)

EDIT:

I realise the instructions say 'MBR: Unknown' is the error to watch out for but just making sure! I'm not that familiar with this stuff, I just follow what the instructions tell me :P

Hi,

I updated to RC15 from RC12a today, and kicked off a parity check first thing after the update.

Just now I experienced an issue where the network dropped out while I was watching a video, via Plex on a Mac which I believe uses AFP.

I jumped on another computer relatively quickly, and I wasn't able to ping the machine from 20:59 to 21:02.

So the  timing in the system log (see below) from 20:57 to 21:02 was about how long it was actually down for.

The machine didn't reboot, and the parity check has continued the whole time (currently 56.5% done and running at 98 MB/s with and est. 3:40 to go).

The motherboard is an ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M with Realtek 8111E.

I run a number of plugins (unMenu, SimpleFeatures, Plex, SABnzbd and co), so this issue could very well be my own fault.

But I haven't experienced this issue with any of the previous RCs I've run on this machine (RC10, 11, 12a, 13), and thought this could be relevant considering the changes to AFP and Realtek drivers with the newer kernel.

Here's a copy of the syslog from the point where I kicked off the parity check.

If you need anymore info, or have something for me to test please let me know.

Jun 16 14:47:45 Jupiter kernel: mdcmd (45): clear 
Jun 16 14:47:48 Jupiter kernel: mdcmd (46): check CORRECT
Jun 16 14:47:48 Jupiter kernel: md: recovery thread woken up ...
Jun 16 14:47:48 Jupiter kernel: md: recovery thread checking parity...
Jun 16 14:47:48 Jupiter kernel: md: using 2048k window, over a total of 2930266532 blocks.
Jun 16 15:01:53 Jupiter afpd[20719]: dsi_stream_read: len:0, unexpected EOF
Jun 16 17:34:04 Jupiter unmenu-status: Exiting unmenu web-server, exit status code = 141
Jun 16 17:34:04 Jupiter unmenu-status: Starting unmenu web-server
Jun 16 17:42:18 Jupiter afpd[28264]: read: No route to host
Jun 16 17:42:18 Jupiter afpd[28264]: dsi_stream_read: len:-1, No route to host
Jun 16 17:42:39 Jupiter sshd[6984]: Accepted password for root from 10.10.10.102 port 49613 ssh2
Jun 16 17:53:16 Jupiter afpd[8978]: dsi_stream_read: len:0, unexpected EOF
Jun 16 18:06:45 Jupiter afpd[14093]: bad function 7A
Jun 16 19:45:45 Jupiter afpd[28264]: afp_alarm: child timed out, entering disconnected state
Jun 16 20:43:44 Jupiter afpd[26635]: bad function 7A
Jun 16 20:46:15 Jupiter afpd[28264]: afp_alarm: child timed out, entering disconnected state
Jun 16 20:57:33 Jupiter afpd[29071]: afp_alarm: child timed out, entering disconnected state
Jun 16 20:57:33 Jupiter afpd[29071]: dsi_wrtreply: Bad file descriptor
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel: ------------[ cut here ]------------
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel: WARNING: at net/sched/sch_generic.c:255 dev_watchdog+0x10f/0x18e()
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel: Hardware name: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 (r8168): transmit queue 0 timed out
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel: Modules linked in: md_mod w83627ehf hwmon_vid sg mpt2sas ahci coretemp hwmon r8168(O) i2c_i801 i2c_core libahci scsi_transport_sas raid_class [last unloaded: md_mod]
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel: Pid: 0, comm: swapper/3 Tainted: G           O 3.9.6p-unRAID #2
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel: Call Trace:
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] warn_slowpath_common+0x77/0x8e
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] ? dev_watchdog+0x10f/0x18e
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] ? dev_watchdog+0x10f/0x18e
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] warn_slowpath_fmt+0x2e/0x30
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] dev_watchdog+0x10f/0x18e
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] ? __netdev_watchdog_up+0x52/0x52
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] call_timer_fn+0x19/0x70
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] run_timer_softirq+0x12b/0x15d
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] __do_softirq+0x94/0x151
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] ? sched_clock_idle_wakeup_event+0x11/0x13
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] irq_exit+0x33/0x6c
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] smp_apic_timer_interrupt+0x72/0x7f
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] apic_timer_interrupt+0x2d/0x34
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] ? cpuidle_wrap_enter+0x2f/0x82
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] cpuidle_enter_tk+0x12/0x14
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] ? disable_cpuidle+0xf/0xf
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] cpuidle_enter_state+0xc/0x38
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] cpuidle_idle_call+0x73/0x9b
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] cpu_idle+0x46/0x6f
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel:  [] start_secondary+0x9a/0x9c
Jun 16 21:01:58 Jupiter kernel: ---[ end trace ee4c9a40cde4e659 ]---
Jun 16 21:01:59 Jupiter kernel: r8168: eth0: link down
Jun 16 21:01:59 Jupiter dhcpcd[1134]: eth0: carrier lost
Jun 16 21:01:59 Jupiter avahi-daemon[8309]: Withdrawing address record for 10.10.10.222 on eth0.
Jun 16 21:01:59 Jupiter avahi-daemon[8309]: Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.10.10.222.
Jun 16 21:01:59 Jupiter avahi-daemon[8309]: Interface eth0.IPv4 no longer relevant for mDNS.
Jun 16 21:02:02 Jupiter kernel: r8168: eth0: link up
Jun 16 21:02:02 Jupiter dhcpcd[1134]: eth0: carrier acquired
Jun 16 21:02:02 Jupiter dhcpcd[1134]: eth0: rebinding lease of 10.10.10.222
Jun 16 21:02:02 Jupiter dhcpcd[1134]: eth0: acknowledged 10.10.10.222 from 10.10.10.254
Jun 16 21:02:02 Jupiter dhcpcd[1134]: eth0: checking for 10.10.10.222
Jun 16 21:02:07 Jupiter dhcpcd[1134]: eth0: leased 10.10.10.222 for 604800 seconds
Jun 16 21:02:07 Jupiter avahi-daemon[8309]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.10.10.222.
Jun 16 21:02:07 Jupiter avahi-daemon[8309]: New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Jun 16 21:02:07 Jupiter avahi-daemon[8309]: Registering new address record for 10.10.10.222 on eth0.IPv4.
Jun 16 21:04:46 Jupiter sshd[1871]: Accepted password for root from 10.10.10.101 port 53918 ssh2
Jun 16 21:04:54 Jupiter sshd[1871]: Received disconnect from 10.10.10.101: 11: disconnected by user

Hey guys,

Just installed this version using the instructions and now some of my drives say

EDIT:

I realise the instructions say 'MBR: Unknown' is the error to watch out for but just making sure! I'm not that familiar with this stuff, I just follow what the instructions tell me :P

I can only assume that you upgraded your server to rc15.  What was the version you started from from?  What is the equipment installed in your server---  Motherboard, CPU, makes and models of the drives involved?  A copy of the syslog might be useful...

Hey guys,

EDIT:

#1 instruction:  STOP

Wait for Joe L or Tom to give you some detailed guidance on this.

Some useful info you could post:  What WAS the version you were running before?

Capture a screen shot of the Web GUI and post it here.

A copy of the syslog might be useful...

Actually, a copy of the syslog is almost mandatory at this point.

If any of the drives say "unknown" do NOT start the array.  Odds of them being shown as "unformatted" is high.  Odds of you accidentally losing data, equally high.

What was your prior version of unRAID (the one you migrated from?)

If however, this is brand new install, and you've never formatted those drives in the unRAID server, then the file-system has not yet been created, and the only thing you need to do is format the disks after you start the array.

So, is this a new install with new (to unRAID) disks?  Or an upgrade of an older release of unRAID to the 5.0-rc15 release?

Joe L.

Ok, I was using 5b13, I upgraded to RC15, I'm using a HP Proliant Microserver so unsure about motherboard model etc. All my drives are WD Green drives either 2Tb or 3Tb, they were all precleared before use which was about 1 yr ago.

Here is the syslog:

http://pastebin.com/KqukCrU3

I'm currently running resierfsck on md1 after starting in maitenance mode (hope this is ok).

All drives have green orbs next to them and NONE of them show as unformatted.

Which page of the Web GUI would you want a screenshot of?

Thanks for your help :)

So reiserfsck finished and no corruptions were found, but filesystem still shows as unknown...

Checking internal tree.. finished

Comparing bitmaps..finished

Checking Semantic tree:

finished

No corruptions found

There are on the filesystem:

Leaves 478886

Internal nodes 3195

Directories 1250

Other files 5406

Data block pointers 483981527 (0 of them are zero)

Safe links 0

###########

reiserfsck finished at Sun Jun 16 14:13:05 2013

Feature Request: unRAID Safe Mode option

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27960.0

Nars had an elegant simple idea to implement safe mode.

Since this isn't an issue, or specific to this release, yet it is is something that is important and needed.

I've moved this topic to the Roadmap forum.

If you feel it should be in another place please contact me directly.

Yes we need a safe mode, no disagreement there.

Let's communicate idea's in the other thread so that it's consolidated and easier to review.

FWIW...

Partition format:    MBR: 4K-aligned

File sytem type:    unknown

All of my disks show this until I start the array...

After the array is online, they show

File sytem type:    reiserfs

FWIW...

Hmmmm you're right :P, I took a gamble and started and it seems all is well now. Weird, is it supposed to be like that??

FWIW...

Hmmmm you're right :P, I took a gamble and started and it seems all is well now. Weird, is it supposed to be like that??

I don't think so, so I'll make a copy of this post in the 5.0 issues forum.  Perhaps it can be made more clear in how (or why) "unknown" is displayed.

Joe L.

FWIW...

+1... every upgraded machine I have done from the "5bX" series to RC has exhibited the exact same behavior - MBR: 4K-aligned partition, unknown file system.

Since the wiki specifically states that MBR: unknown partition is the danger, I took the risk initially and started the array. All of the data drives had backups, so I was comfortable I could recover if needed. I've seen this over a half-dozen times now on various systems, and every time, the data drives stay intact when the array is started.

My guess is that something in the initial config phase is not correctly reading the filesystem, or is not relaying the correct string value to the GUI. Because if you take a look at the drives themselves, you can see the reiserfs partitions.

I'm not advocating starting the array if the experts tell you to wait. I'm just relaying my personal experience.

FWIW...

+1... every upgraded machine I have done from the "5bX" series to RC has exhibited the exact same behavior - MBR: 4K-aligned partition, unknown file system.

Since the wiki specifically states that MBR: unknown partition is the danger, I took the risk initially and started the array. All of the data drives had backups, so I was comfortable I could recover if needed. I've seen this over a half-dozen times now on various systems, and every time, the data drives stay intact when the array is started.

My guess is that something in the initial config phase is not correctly reading the filesystem, or is not relaying the correct string value to the GUI. Because if you take a look at the drives themselves, you can see the reiserfs partitions.

I'm not advocating starting the array if the experts tell you to wait. I'm just relaying my personal experience.

I agree, it should not say "unknown"  too easy to get a user confused. (and worried)

Hi Tom, I'm planiing on re-purchasing UnRaid when it goes final  :) Will I be able to use the same USB sticks or will I have to buy new ones?

The Wiki manual and home page clearly note that keys are tied to a USB stick (based on the GUID of that stick).    If you already have a key for that USB flash drive, you don't need another one unless you're upgrading (from Plus to Pro for example).    There's no cost to upgrade from v4 to v5 ... you just download the new release, follow the instructions, and it'll work fine with your current key.

Yes, but if I recall, he had a refund on the key he's talking about; hence I assume he's asking Tom if it can be reinstated.

Ahh yes, I remember that now.    Clearly all he has to do is supply the GUID again, unless Tom still has it on record  :)

FWIW...

I agree, it should not say "unknown"  too easy to get a user confused. (and worried)

FWIW I just stopped my array, and on the Main screen it just shows the disk details, but if you click on any of the disks, the detailed info shows exactly that:  4k-aligned with "unknown" for the file system type !!    But it Starts just fine.    I don't think v4.7 did that => but my grandkids are watching a movie at the moment, so I can't exactly Stop that array and look  8)

Parity check finished in 6:02 with no errors, 138.1 MB/s average speed.  Same duration, give or take a few seconds, as previous rc's.  So far, no issues to report with rc15.

Nice timing -- those 7200rpm drives do have some advantages  :)

By the way, next time you run a parity check, try this:  (a)  Spin up all your drives;  (b) click on Clear Statistics to reset all reads/writes/errors to zero;  ©  Do the parity test.

When it finishes, please post your read counters in this thread [Just the parity counter and the highest and lowest count for each different size drive you have]: 

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27893.0

Thanks -- just trying to collect a bit of data r.e. the variance of read counts.

Yes, those 7200 rpm Seagates are damn fast drives for spinners. That time/avg speed is even with mixed sizes (2TB and 3 TB).

Next time I'll record the reads. I didnt reset the counters before doing the parity check, but it was started right after a fresh boot. I did look at the counters after the parity check was done (as I had read your thread a day or so ago and was curious), and the counters were wildly different.

Why has initconfig been removed as it usage is all over the wiki. The emHTTP version seems to make the GUI forget existing disks as well requiring you to reassign disk order.

The 'initconfig' script used to in /usr/local/sbin with a symlink in /root called 'initconfig'.  So after logging into shell session (as root) if you typed 'initconfig' it would exeucte that script in /usr/local/sbin.  Very early on in v5 development I got rid of that script in /usr/local/sbin and instead there is a app in the webgui called 'New config' under the Utils tab.  But I noticed the symlink was still there (pointing to a now-nonexistent file) so I got rid of it.

summary: don't use initconfig, use webGui 'New config'.

The 'initconfig' script used to in /usr/local/sbin with a symlink in /root called 'initconfig'.  So after logging into shell session (as root) if you typed 'initconfig' it would exeucte that script in /usr/local/sbin.  Very early on in v5 development I got rid of that script in /usr/local/sbin and instead there is a app in the webgui called 'New config' under the Utils tab.  But I noticed the symlink was still there (pointing to a now-nonexistent file) so I got rid of it.

summary: don't use initconfig, use webGui 'New config'.

Tom I am beginning to think it was only in a dream where the initconfig command line didnt cause emHTTP to forget about every disk allocation. I was sure it used to be that way but now I am not so sure.

Bottom line though if you array isn't protected I cannot see the point of requiring initconfig to swap disks about.

Interesting side note I thought I'd point out in regards to rc15.  I built my server back in November 2012 and started with rc8a.  The only releases I have skipped are rc13 and rc14.

Anyway, I have noticed since day one that my load average (as reported by top via cli or unMenu sysinfo top processes) has always been what I considered very high even though the server was effectively idling.  It was always up around 2.00 or higher, even though CPU utilization was very low (1% or less).  I always just chalked it up to the plugins I was running keeping things busy, Plex for instance always seems to be doing something.  At one point I permanently turned off Plex's DLNA server as I don't use DLNA, and the load average settled down to around 1.20.  If I stopped all of the plugins I run load average would fall to 0.00 - 0.02.

Once I loaded rc15 though, load average is where you would think it should be on an idling server.  It now typically sits around 0.00 - 0.02 when the server is idle, even with all plugins running.  I assume this is a side effect of the newer kernel?  Perhaps the older kernels reported load average incorrectly, or something about the older kernels kept load average high with the particular plugins I run?

Time again to remind everyone of the Announcement Board Rules, specifically:

The Announcement Board is used to announce the availability of new unRAID OS releases, and the reporting and discussion of bugs and/or features specific to the announced release only.  Any off-topic posts may be deleted or moved without warning.

Just because in the past I haven't taken the time to strictly enforce this doesn't mean the rule no longer applies.  Usually I give some warning, either a post, or a PM, but not always.  So if your off-topic post seems to be missing, look in "The Bilge" or "The Bouncer".  If it's there it got removed because it's off-topic.  Don't get mad, don't get indignant.  If it's that important, re-post in another forum, send it to me in PM, or email.

my "go" is stock and packages DID have plex in it, but i removed that. Anything on top of that would mean going back to complete stock and adding the plugins manually, which isn't particularly friendly and encouraging to update for each release.

Not suggesting that would be the permanent necessity, but would help to determine what this problem is.

It's my test system, so i'm here to help.

However i'm confused with what you are asking of me. 1) go script is stock 2) boot/packages is empty.

I still get stuck at the same place, is there something you want me to try? I i go to stock, i.e. wipe the USB and start again, won't that defeat the purpose?

The places to look are:

/boot/extra

/boot/plugins

/boot/config/plugins

No matter, I'll be releasing a -15a version soon to correct this.

Installed rc14 and my system with 2GB wouldn't boot. I didn't figure it out until I was going to install rc15.  Thanks to the awesome forums here, was able to quickly read through the posts and figure out what was going on. Installed rc15 and was running in to the same problem that @Ockingshay was running into.

I didn't have any files in /boot/extra but have SF installed and it was in /boot/plugins.  Removed /boot/plugins and the system booted to the login prompt[terminal]

@limetech - This is my test system so I can help verify your fix for this issue when it's ready.

J

my parity check seems a little slower compared to rc12a and rc14; i'm averaging about 66MB/s. it was at 85 i think at rc12a;

otherwise, seems better than the others..

sacretagent - i'd hesitate to have tom touch anything else at this point.. we're so close, i think we can actually see a 5.0 final soon! there's always 5.1 :-)

Hi tom

can you repair one more thing before this goes to final ?

the "TRUST ARRAY" procedure

this doesn't work properly for a long time now and it would be nice for it to work properly again...

maybe a mod can transfer this to issues forum ?

Sorry, what is the "trust array" procedure?