unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc15a Available

Download | Release Notes

I guess the most interesting change is the introduction of booting into "Safe Mode".  At present, all this does is cause the boot-up sequence to completely skip loading any extra packages or plugins.  Over time this might change a bit, e.g., I wanted to also disable "automatic array start" in Safe Mode but I'll leave that to a later release.

Note: be sure to copy 'syslinux.cfg' from the release zip to your flash to see a handy menu item for this.

Other changes include:

- several minor fixes in here for various drivers

- moving /var/log to a tmpfs was a bit more involved turns out, so fixed that.

- increased the kernel log buffer size to ensure all startup messages make to syslog

Barring any 'show stopper' issue this will be the last release until 5.0 'final' - no really, no kidding, well hopefully  ;D

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where exactly is this new "Safe Mode" Feature located? I just over wrote bzroot, bzimage and syslinux.cfg and then rebooted the system, but I do not see this option anywhere?

Thanks....

It's an option on the boot screen (where you select unRAID OS or Memtest for example).  What it does is include a "command line" parameter called "unraidsafemode", which at present causes '/etc/rc.d/rc.local' to directly invoke 'emhttp' without loading anything, including the 'go' script.

Great work tome booted up perfectly, i have an issue i think tho, i replaced a 1 tb disk with a 2tb disk and i selected the disk and selected rebuild the array came on line but the webui is unresponsive? since the disks are mounted I'm assuming that the rebuild is going on and the gui will become responsive once its finished?

Thanks again for the work and better communication now it is much appreciated

Great work tome booted up perfectly, i have an issue i think tho, i replaced a 1 tb disk with a 2tb disk and i selected the disk and selected rebuild the array came on line but the webui is unresponsive? since the disks are mounted I'm assuming that the rebuild is going on and the gui will become responsive once its finished?

i think this is standard behavior, the webui will become responsive again once the data begins rebuilding.

i think this is standard behavior, the webui will become responsive again once the data begins rebuilding.

Might be a bug, I'll try to reproduce.

Might be a bug, I'll try to reproduce.

This has happened to me as well during data rebuilds in the last few RCs. Not sure why I never thought to post about it. I can see the rebuild is in progress in the unmenu interface. Usually once a few percent in to the rebuild the web gui becomes responsive.

it's great that a safe mode now exits as it can be difficult to know or remember how to disable all plugins.  We just need to make it clear now that it must be invoked before posting problems in the release thread.  Can it be determined from the syslog if it has been invoked?  It would be good if there was a clear indicator in the syslog