unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc15a Available

Could I request that all those users that logged problems within the Unraid OS 5.X Issue List thread update their status. It looks to me like most of these issues have been resolved but its difficult to determine unless you keep up with all the RC threads. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have a few questions:

1) I use the 'enable_ahci' script in my 'go' file to ensure that one of my SATA interfaces is recognised.  I presume (but haven't tried) that safe mode will fail to enable the interface and, therefore, some of my drives will be missing in safe mde.  Is it possible to have this functionality added to the 'standard' release?

Right this will be a problem for you if you need the functionality of that script.  First perhaps disable the script and see if your controller is recognized, it's possible the it's PCI id has been added to this kernel.  Also if controller is not in "ahci" mode via bios, perhaps see if there's a way to do this via bios - probably you have already done this though.  I did add an enhancement entry for this, but this will not make it into 5.0 final:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28111.0

Tom, this needs serious thought before implementation. The method you have now ENSURES without any intervention the system boots normally. If a user is trying to enter a safe mode he/she has the ability to now do so. Cudos!

For further development several scenario's need to be fleshed out:

1. how to get out of safe mode if its created by a file flag? What happens to this file flag after safe mode is booted? remains, deleted??

2. methods to enter into safe mode for headless and non-headless (boot menu and/or webgui?).

3. methods to ensure MUST load options or scripts are run, maybe we need a mustgo.sh file so users with the previously mentioned ahci problem can be worked around. Or perhaps the go file IS called when safemode is called upon but the go file itself has section to test for safemode and run 'x' only ?

Lots to go through and i think the community is willing, able, and hoping to help you out with this.

P.S.

15a running perfecto on my sys (see sig). Running ParChk now @ 113MB/sec @2%. seems normal to me.

Agreed.  Please move your post and continue discussion here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27960.0

Could I request that all those users that logged problems within the Unraid OS 5.X Issue List thread update their status. It looks to me like most of these issues have been resolved but its difficult to determine unless you keep up with all the RC threads. Thanks

Browse that forum section on a computer. Tom marked the solved issue threads with a "Solved" icon. You can't see this in Tapatalk.

FYI, the old "ulimit" fix was for a "too many files" issue with Windows 7 ==> it was resolved in v4.7 (!!) and hasn't been needed since  :)

Not so, according to JoeL's post, here.

ah, but Tom has since upped the ulimit on rc13, therefore, it is now fixed once more.

From the rc13 release notes:

slack: default 'umask 0' and 'ulimit -n 20000' for all processes (/sbin/initscript)

Joe L.

I'm having an issue with the upgrade from RC12a to RC15a.  After copying/replacing all of the files (bzimage, bzroot, syslinux.cfg), my config will not boot.  I run a VM of unRAID using ESXi and I updated the files on both the VMDK and the USB flash drive to be sure.  It hangs after displaying "SYSLINUX 3.72 2008-09-25 EBIOS Copyright © 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin".  I have a few plugins still installed (VMtools and unmenu) which I haven't disabled, but it isn't even starting to boot.  Everything worked fine in RC12a, is there something that I did wrong?

Thanks,

Jesse

I'm having an issue with the upgrade from RC12a to RC15a.  After copying/replacing all of the files (bzimage, bzroot, syslinux.cfg), my config will not boot.  I run a VM of unRAID using ESXi and I updated the files on both the VMDK and the USB flash drive to be sure.  It hangs after displaying "SYSLINUX 3.72 2008-09-25 EBIOS Copyright © 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin".  I have a few plugins still installed (VMtools and unmenu) which I haven't disabled, but it isn't even starting to boot.  Everything worked fine in RC12a, is there something that I did wrong?

Thanks,

Jesse

After you uploaded the updated vmdk to your datastore did you reinflate it (right click unraid.vmdk and click "Inflate")? Also, are you sure you only replaced bzimage, bzroot, syslinux.cfg? If you did both of those, I would try redownloading the latest prepackaged vmdk, mounting it and replacing bzimage, bzroot, syslinux.cfg, and overwriting your existing one.

EDIT: Also, please shrink the size of your signature if you wouldn't mind. Twenty lines is way too big.

Parity check done -- took virtually the same as with RC15.  All's looking very good.

[My v5 system has probably had more parity checks in the past 6 weeks than my v4.7 system has had in 4 years !!!  In addition to a parity check with each new release, I did about 8 of them while experimenting with the tunable disk parameters to find the best set of values to get optimal parity check speeds.]

Browse that forum section on a computer. Tom marked the solved issue threads with a "Solved" icon. You can't see this in Tapatalk.

OK thanks, I didn't realise this Tapatalk limitation

Hi. Earlier I had a repeat of network issue I had a couple of times with rc15. I made a couple of posts in the announcement thread for that release post 1 & post 2

My motherboard is an ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M with Realtek 8111E.

I've attached a copy of the relevant section of the syslog.

I did some more searching on the line "NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 (r8168): transmit queue 0 timed out"

Amongst the many results that are returned, this doesn't seem to be an isolated issue and has been around for a while, I stumbled onto this post where the guy has suggested setting a kernel parameter "pcie_aspm=off"

So I then had a search through the forums for this test and found a few mentions in the announcement thread for v5-beta12.

And it seems to be caused by the Realtek drivers.

I first started using unRAID with rc11 (only a newbie I know)

In the last 6 releases (counting 12 & 12a as one, but 15 & 15a as two) I believe the Realtek drivers have changed 4 times.

So it isn't too easy to judge exactly when things have worked well for a while, and when they haven't.

But of the RCs I've run, I ran rc12a (with r8168 driver) the longest (a bit over 2 months without a reboot) and it didn't have a single issue.

So something definitely seems to be up with the currently included drivers and my NIC.

I haven't run plugin free yet, mainly because I haven't had a convenient time to do it.

But also because the issue does seem to be unrelated, there's a bit of history with it, and the Realtek drivers have changed more frequently than my plugins.

Does anyone more knowledgeable know if it's worth adding the kernel parameter? I guess it can't hurt trying it?

syslog.txt

After you uploaded the updated vmdk to your datastore did you reinflate it (right click unraid.vmdk and click "Inflate")? Also, are you sure you only replaced bzimage, bzroot, syslinux.cfg? If you did both of those, I would try redownloading the latest prepackaged vmdk, mounting it and replacing bzimage, bzroot, syslinux.cfg, and overwriting your existing one.

I did not reinflate it, so that may be the issue.  I'll try that possibly tonight after a preclear is complete on a new drive.

Also, on the flash drive, I replaced license.txt, make_bootable.bat, memtest, menu.c32, readme.txt, and syslinux.exe in addition to the 3 files mentioned.  The others shouldn't matter with the exception of the menu.c32 file which I think has the new safe mode option.  Within the VMDK, I replaced the 3 files, plus memtest and menu.c32.  Inside the VMDK are only those 5 files.

I figure I did something wrong somewhere because RC15a is working good for everyone else.  I'll try your inflate suggestion when the server is in a state to shutdown.

Thanks,

Jesse

Also, on the flash drive, I replaced license.txt, make_bootable.bat, memtest, menu.c32, readme.txt, and syslinux.exe in addition to the 3 files mentioned.  The others shouldn't matter with the exception of the menu.c32 file which I think has the new safe mode option.  Within the VMDK, I replaced the 3 files, plus memtest and menu.c32.  Inside the VMDK are only those 5 files.

The problem is caused by you replacing menu.c32, as vmdk probably have an older syslinux version "installed" and it's not compatible with latest menu.c32 binary. Anyway you don't need to update menu.c32 to get safemode option, that was added on syslinux.cfg, not on menu.c32.

Running fine on my test box again.  Haven't tried a parity check this time,  done too many of those in the last couple of weeks :)

I know the feeling.  Last month I decided to experiment with the tunable disk parameters to see if I could optimize my parity check times [motivated by pauven's testing in his low-power server thread].  Did about 8-10 parity checks in a week ... but did manage to shave about 40 minutes off the time (now runs in 7:41 ... array is 6 3TB WD Reds).

In addition, I've done a full check with each upgrade ... RC11, RC12, ... RC15a !!    The good news is they were all perfect ... my system has definitely been very well exercised this month  :)

The reiserfs patches are missing. And if you delete this post too, I'll file a report with the FSF.

I created a "issue" on the 5.X issues forum for this so it will not get forgotten.

See here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28125.msg249110#new

In the interim, the link to the patch is here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27936.msg248295;topicseen#msg248295

The link to it was mentioned previously in this thread.

Joe L.

Anyone have a way I can get back to rc12a?  This one will not sleep and resume properly.  Once it sleeps and wakes up it is not accessible and I don't have time troubleshoot.  12a worked perfectly for me. 

Cheers, Dan

On a possibly related note.  I upgraded my N40L unRAID server to V5.0rc15 and since I did that it does not shut off the display on the monitor I have it attached to.  I followed the directions for rc15 and copied the bzroot, bzimage and syslinux.cfg then rebooted the box.  I was on rc12a before which shutdown the display just fine.  I'm going to try rc15a tonight but I don't believe any of the changes from 15 to 15a would affect this.