unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc15a Available

Anyone have a way I can get back to rc12a?  This one will not sleep and resume properly.  Once it sleeps and wakes up it is not accessible and I don't have time troubleshoot.  12a worked perfectly for me. 

Cheers, Dan

On a possibly related note.  I upgraded my N40L unRAID server to V5.0rc15 and since I did that it does not shut off the display on the monitor I have it attached to.  I followed the directions for rc15 and copied the bzroot, bzimage and syslinux.cfg then rebooted the box.  I was on rc12a before which shutdown the display just fine.  I'm going to try rc15a tonight but I don't believe any of the changes from 15 to 15a would affect this.

Hmmm...now that you mention that I am seeing the same thing with my unRAID VM with RC15a.  Doesn't really bother me but it definitely didn't do it before...at least with RC13 as far as I can remember.

John

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have a way I can get back to rc12a?  This one will not sleep and resume properly.  Once it sleeps and wakes up it is not accessible and I don't have time troubleshoot.  12a worked perfectly for me. 

Cheers, Dan

Make sure when you put it to sleep you wait a couple of minutes for it to fully sleep. Also when you bring it up, be sure to not try to access webgui for a few minutes and see if this helps. Can you retest and let us know having done this? I had a similar problem with RC14 or RC15 the other day where I had to wait a while for webgui to respond, although it may have been a fluke.

EDIT: More info. When my server did this it was still accessible via telnet and emhttp process was running ok. If I recall correctly I think eventually one of the plugins either unmenu or simplefeatures DID come up, and the other did not. I rebooted and tried to sleep and resume again this time giving more time for things to come up without immediately trying to access, and it worked ok.

Cheers, Dan

Make sure when you put it to sleep you wait a couple of minutes for it to fully sleep. Also when you bring it up, be sure to not try to access webgui for a few minutes and see if this helps. Can you retest and let us know having done this? I had a similar problem with RC14 or RC15 the other day where I had to wait a while for webgui to respond, although it may have been a fluke.

Since dstroot stated he did not have time to troubleshoot, I am not sure he will be willing or able to try this. However, as RC15a is close to becoming final... it might be worth it to try to troubleshoot. Otherwise the final version will be lacking a feature that you 2 seem to want to use.

My unRAID server is hooked into my VGA port on my TV (& I rarely ever switch to that input to view the screen). Typically I just connect via web, telnet or ssh (treat it as running headless) & I do not put mine to sleep. Everything I use is running smoothly.

Cheers, Dan

On a possibly related note.  I upgraded my N40L unRAID server to V5.0rc15 and since I did that it does not shut off the display on the monitor I have it attached to.  I followed the directions for rc15 and copied the bzroot, bzimage and syslinux.cfg then rebooted the box.  I was on rc12a before which shutdown the display just fine.  I'm going to try rc15a tonight but I don't believe any of the changes from 15 to 15a would affect this.

Right, I turned off blanking of the console vga display a release or two ago so that any kernel crash info displayed there can still be viewed.

Cheers, Dan

Right, I turned off blanking of the console vga display a release or two ago so that any kernel crash info displayed there can still be viewed.

OK.  Thanks.  Then not a bug.

I turned off blanking of the console vga display a release or two ago so that any kernel crash info displayed there can still be viewed.

Seems like a good idea actually.  Nice to be able to turn on the monitor on the UnRAID server and see if anything's gone awry ... if it was blanked, all we'd see is a blank display.

Cheers, Dan

Hmmm...now that you mention that I am seeing the same thing with my unRAID VM with RC15a.  Doesn't really bother me but it definitely didn't do it before...at least with RC13 as far as I can remember.

John

I noticed this as well. My monitor is staying on. But I see it's been this way the last few releases. I've had to just unplug the monitor.

Otherwise rc15a has been working fine on both my unRAID setups. i maxed out the drives on my unRAID1 and tonight I should max out the drives on my unRAID2 once I remove another drive from my WHS.

Here's the change in /etc/rc.d/rc.M

# Screen blanks after 15 minutes idle time, and powers down in one hour
# if the kernel supports APM or ACPI power management:
#/bin/setterm -blank 15 -powersave powerdown -powerdown 60

# Never blank the console screen - so we can see at least something upon crash
/bin/setterm -blank 0

If you want your monitor to blank after 15 minutes type this, or put in your 'go' file:

/bin/setterm -blank 15

The Upgrade Instrucitons for release 5.0-rc8a and older do not say anything about copying the syslinux.cfg file to the flash drive. Am I correct to asusme that is only because the instrucitons have not been updated and I really do need to copy it?

If you're using beta's/rc's you should be always updating every time a new one comes out and only revert back to immediately previous release if there's some "show stopper" issue for you - after describing the issue here  ;)

To answer your question though, yes, copy all three.

The Upgrade Instrucitons for release 5.0-rc8a and older do not say anything about copying the syslinux.cfg file to the flash drive. Am I correct to asusme that is only because the instrucitons have not been updated and I really do need to copy it?

The syslinux.cfg file should be copied regardless of what you are upgrading from.  If you do not copy it then you will not have the new safe mode boot as one of the options.

I'm not really into posting my results regarding new releases but this time it's quite different.

I've been running unraid since beta 14, and RC8 on my new server.

I did not seem to be affected by slow parity checks (75MB/S average, appr. 10hrs) or transfers (65MB/S average), but since upgrading to rc15a my parity speed has gone up to 108MB/S last check( taking 7h45 mins) and transfers seem to be up about 10MB/S too.

So all in all i'm quite happy with this release :)

Good work TOM

I noticed this as well. My monitor is staying on. But I see it's been this way the last few releases. I've had to just unplug the monitor.
Is the power button on your monitor broken?

The button is hard to get to since it's behind a support for the shelves that holds the monitor and unRAID enclosures.

Here's the change in /etc/rc.d/rc.M

# Screen blanks after 15 minutes idle time, and powers down in one hour
# if the kernel supports APM or ACPI power management:
#/bin/setterm -blank 15 -powersave powerdown -powerdown 60

# Never blank the console screen - so we can see at least something upon crash
/bin/setterm -blank 0

If you want your monitor to blank after 15 minutes type this, or put in your 'go' file:

/bin/setterm -blank 15

Thank you.  Will do that.

Upgraded from 12a to 15a on a VM and lost access to the SF webgui so I went back to 12a all was good.

So on my N36L i tried the upgrade which didnt have SF webgui installed, all was good until I installed SF webgui and then I could not get to the GUI or the falsh drive through windows explorer, anyone else had this issue?

Lee

Upgraded from 12a to 15a on a VM and lost access to the SF webgui so I went back to 12a all was good.

So on my N36L i tried the upgrade which didnt have SF webgui installed, all was good until I installed SF webgui and then I could not get to the GUI or the falsh drive through windows explorer, anyone else had this issue?

Lee

Get updated version of SF.  one or more of your plugins is probably out-dated.

It is my understanding rc16 will be out soon (a handful of us are running rc16 in a limited trial), so wait a bit any try again with it after updating your SF installation.

Joe L.

Lee

It is my understanding rc16 will be out soon (a handful of us are running rc16 in a limited trial), so wait a bit any try again with it after updating your SF installation.

Joe L.

Why do we need an RC16?

Lee

Joe L.

Why do we need an RC16?

RC16 is needed specifically because of this bug:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28142.0

rc16 mentioned here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28142.msg249817#msg249817

i hope rc16 doesn't re-introduce or meddle with the NFS issue. my systems and VMs have been rock solid now since i changed the nfs setting. I no longer have to explain to the wife why the server is out or down or not available, etc etc.