RC 15a disks do not spin down?

mine also spin down

Jun 19 19:43:57 p5bplus kernel: mdcmd (56): spindown 8 (Routine)

Jun 19 19:46:27 p5bplus kernel: mdcmd (57): spindown 0 (Routine)

Jun 19 19:46:48 p5bplus kernel: mdcmd (58): spindown 5 (Routine)

Jun 19 19:46:48 p5bplus kernel: mdcmd (59): spindown 7 (Routine)

Jun 19 19:46:49 p5bplus kernel: mdcmd (60): spindown 9 (Routine)

I have nothing running except for the preclear of a 3t drive. I haven't touched a thing in the settings.....

It could easily be one of the PCs on your LAN scanning the shares looking to update its file list and ICON view of files.

Are you connected to a LAN with PCs or media players?

Only my desktop is connected ....all 5 disk are awake. and two of the disk are being heavily read.

Do you have any of your UnRAID shares mapped as a drive on the desktop?    And is indexing enabled on that PC?    If both of those answers are yes, that's likely what's happening.

RC15a is clearly spinning down correctly, as many of us have already noted;  so SOMETHING has to be accessing the disks ... and if you don't have any add-ons that are doing it, it must be external.

Just an update....after the preclear finished all the disks spun down. Has anyone been able to replicate the same?

I've not noticed that before; but I haven't pre-cleared any disks since RC12, so I don't know if it's a function of the new kernel, or just a one-off "glitch".    To my knowledge, the pre-clear script's activity on one out-of-the-array drive shouldn't impact the UnRAID spin-down timer ... but Tom or Joe L can probably confirm whether or not that's the case.

I've found that when preclearing a drive, I need to turn off cache_dirs in order to get all the other drives to spin down correctly. I'm still running 12a, but I've recently installed three new 2TBs and had to do this for each one. Once the preclear is complete I can turn cache_dirs back on.

I've found that when preclearing a drive, I need to turn off cache_dirs in order to get all the other drives to spin down correctly. I'm still running 12a, but I've recently installed three new 2TBs and had to do this for each one. Once the preclear is complete I can turn cache_dirs back on.

Hmmm, I'm running a preclear right now on a 3TB WD Red under RC12a.  I am also running a CrashPlan backup at the same time.  All disks except the disk containing files being backed up spun down normally.  I am also running cache_dirs.

I had the same problem with preclear , cach_dirs, and drives spinning up.  Most of my storage is large video recordings, with one share containing many small files.  I excluded the share with the small files from cache_dirs, and it fixed the problem.

I'm sure it is highly dependent on the file structure of the disks. I've got the general large video files and (relatively) smaller nested picture folders in additional to highly-nested copies of my original hard drive images which probably go 10+ levels. I have recently modified cache_dirs from its default settings of 999 to just go to 4 levels down and it seems to be behaving nicely. I haven't had a new disk to clear, however.

Just an update....after the preclear finished all the disks spun down. Has anyone been able to replicate the same?

I had the same issue, was preclearing two disks, and two of my five disks in the array didn't spin down. Only after preclear was done did they spin down. In a continuation of this the system totally hanged on my when I tried to shut down the array later. Had to do a hard power down. Could not even TTY into it. Probably not related

Running 15a