vmWare vCenter Server

johnodon

For all of you who are running unRAID in an ESXi VM...

Have you set up a vCenter Server?  I finally got around to doing it just for the sake of having a spearate instance to be able to patch my ESXi box via the Update Manager plugin.  While I was tooling around I decided to install the vSphere Web Client and I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised.  In my experience, web clients tend to be very shoddy and I always end up reverting back to the true client.  So far I am liking this one.

FYI for IE v10 users...

If you try to launch a Remote Console window (opens in a new window) you will get a message that the plugin is not properly installed.  You need to set that window to Compatibility View.  Chrome appears to not be imnpacted and works OOB.

Anyway, it's a nice alternative to having to install the Vsphere Client on the 3 or 4 machines I routinely use in my house.  :)

John

Yah, are you guys running the non-free version of ESXi?  My understanding is that vCenter does not work with the free version.  Well, from what I understand it will work with the free version as long as you are still in trial mode and have not entered the free license.  I would love to be wrong and be able to run vCenter at home.

5.1 is the last version the .NET client will be released, going forward it will be web only.

Is this going to be a problem for the ESX free?  Are there plans to have a web client for the next revs of ESX that does not require vcenter?

I don't see myself running vcenter at the current costs for a hobbyist setup.

Maybe it's just me...but I struggle on VMware's website to find the correct download links.  If possible can someone post VMware website links to the latest versions of:  (1) vCenter Server and (2) vSphere Web Client?  I'd like to try with my ESXi 5.1 installation.

Maybe it's just me...but I struggle on VMware's website to find the correct download links.  If possible can someone post VMware website links to the latest versions of:  (1) vCenter Server and (2) vSphere Web Client?  I'd like to try with my ESXi 5.1 installation.

I have always had the same issue.  I was able to track down the ISO that I needed via other means.

VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.1.0-947939.iso  <-- has everything you need

I think I just googled VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.1.0-947939.iso + /index and found a live link elsewhere.

John

I have always had the same issue.  I was able to track down the ISO that I needed via other means.

VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.1.0-947939.iso  <-- has everything you need

I think I just googled VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.1.0-947939.iso + /index and found a live link elsewhere.

John

John - Excellent!  Thank you.

StevenD - Thanks but I have a VMware account and for whatever reason I seem to run into the endless loop that johnodon described...maybe its a matter of knowing the file(s)/iso(s) I need.  Hopefully I'll figure it out with the info you both have given...