SubSonic not finding new stuff

guygg

Here's an interesting issue that I didn't initially think had anything to do with unRAID, but now I'm wondering if it actually might. I've had problems with SubSonic versions since 4.7 finding any new media after the initial full scan. I originally had SubSonic running on the unRAID box itself. I now have it running on a Windows 7 machine as a front end to the shares on the unRAID box. Same problem in both situations. I have since also switched to the custom MadSonic branch build of the platform, which also continues to have the same problem.

I did a follow-up post to a topic on the SubSonic forum to a user who had the identical problem as me a while back, to see if they'd had any luck getting it fixed. He hadn't mentioned unRAID being involved at all in his original post. It was kinda surprising for me to find out that he did, in fact, use unRAID as well. I figure that's just too huge a coincidence to ignore. So, anyone have any theory as to what might be the culprit? I know it's not much to go on, but perhaps somebody with some experience of SubSonic on unRAID might have run into this and already know the answer. Here's the SubSonic forum topic:

http://forum.subsonic.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12272

Thanks!

hi m8,

while i was not the mystery guy on the subsonic forum, i complained there multiple times about the same issue! i used subsonic before i got to unraid on several pc's (using win7, ubuntu in several editions) as well as, subsonic unraid plugin (original and the jangjong "fork" - which i prefer due to less probs/ more probs solved).

my experience is in general (unraid/ non-unraid) that it updates all the files just fine - means, everything is actually accounted for after subsonic update. it just does not show as newly added files.

by itself a major annoyance!

so far, thats "subjective findings" without real hard evidence... it seems to show more results when i add less files at a time under recently added. it also seems to show files during the process (if you renew the window) which are later disappeared. at the same time you will notice drastic memory use changes - so i think thats part of the issue.

now, i have a fairly big collection of music (about 630k files/ 9tb). my java memory is set to 2500mb, which seems absurdly high but works to the point that i dont have any out of memory errors anymore at this point. on the other hand it seems to crash subsonic with any higher settings (maybe you can shed some light on that?). i go to 2600mb  - result crash during update (i have plenty of ram, so there should be no shortage + running barely any other unraid apps - usually about 3gb plus of available ram).

also, while we are at it, did you notice/ have the prob as well - that you cant update album covers in subsonic!? it finds them, you can go to the save process, but the whole procedure does jacksh*t?

greets, L

ps: if no more interest here, pm me - would like to keep in touch with ppl having the same issue for solutions!

• 7 years later...

This seems to happen to me every so often.  After comparing and messing around with permissions to no avail, I've found something that seems to do the trick.
Here are the steps I take -

• In the location where the undiscovered music is located, I re-name the sub-folder that wasn't being scanned.
  • I create a new folder with the original name and populate it with the contents of the renamed folder.
  • Then I trigger a manual re-scan.

I'm responding to this post to also help my bad memory in case it happens a long time from now!