Issues running Oracle Virtual Machine & Verares Vbox [Unraid 5.0 rc2 beta]

I apologise in advance toward my ignorance when it comes to VMs and the like. I am attempting to cobble together any knowledge that I can to get this concept up and running.

I am hoping to put together a simple means of being able to preclear drives in a Windows 8 machine running a VM Unraid.

The issues I have had so far include:

1. How to find the IP address of the Unraid VM when running to access the flash. There does not appear to be an address when I try ifconfig eth0. I have set up the Virtual Machine as:

Windows XP

Network with a Bridged Connection – Broadcom Gigabit.

2. How to add the preclear files to the existing Vbox.

------------------

The process was as follows.

Installed Oracle VM VirtualBox version 4.2.

I downloaded Unraid 5.0 rc2 Beta vbox image by Venares in:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9572.msg96289#msg96289

This vbox download does not include a .ovf file to install as an Application as suggested in this guide:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Methods_of_user_customization#Running_unRAID_inside_a_VM

Unraided’s files appear to no longer be available.

I set up a new virtual machine as XP with 1024MB of Ram and loaded Verares Vbox image.  I changed the Network connection to a Bridged Connection. Unraid is able to successfully boot to console.

I am attempting to obtain the IP address whilst the VM is running without any success. Presumably with the address I should be able to access flash to copy the preclear files across.

Once copied across I hope to attach a ‘physical’ hard drive into the process, but I figure one step at a time.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

-Alex

unRAID is based on Linux so you should setup a VM as Linux not Windows.  It may not make a difference but that would be the first thing I would change.  You can probably try a VMDK that was intended for use in ESXi,  VirtualBox will handle VMDK HDDs.  This would allow you to use a more current version of unRAID.  Or you can do like I do and setup your own VMDK version of unRAID by connecting the drive to another VM running Windows.  Also you need to select an Intel E1000 network adapter in VirtualBox for the network it is probably defaulting to something else and the Intel E1000 does work with unRAID VMs but I don't know about other types of nics that VirtualBox might provide.

BobPhoenix - Some fabulous suggestions. I was about to post that I found 'Advanced' options under the Network settings to change the Bridged Adaptor to Intel 1000 T Server. I now have access to the IP address.

I am currently upgrading via the flash folder to rc15a, installing preclear script and unmenu.

I will report with my progress, but my many thanks.

-Alex

I have progressed and everything appears up and running.

I have attached the physical drive as a .vmdk that is being picked up by the preclear script.

However, it appears that like when dealing with external HDDs the script struggles to run smartctrl with an exit status '4'.

Essentially, it says that the SMART status is unavailable and that the drive lacks SMART support.

Would this be considered a limitation of attempting to do a preclear in a VM environment or is there a -d [option] that could be added ie. 'preclear_disk.sh -A -d [option] /dev/sdx' that may resolve this issue?

-Alex

I have progressed and everything appears up and running.

I have attached the physical drive as a .vmdk that is being picked up by the preclear script.

However, it appears that like when dealing with external HDDs the script struggles to run smartctrl with an exit status '4'.

Essentially, it says that the SMART status is unavailable and that the drive lacks SMART support.

Would this be considered a limitation of attempting to do a preclear in a VM environment or is there a -d [option] that could be added ie. 'preclear_disk.sh -A -d [option] /dev/sdx' that may resolve this issue?

-Alex

Don't know if preclear has any options like that but I suspect nothing you try will get a temperature or smart report.  I have a separate box that I do my preclears on.  When not preclearing it is a Windows desktop PC.  When I want to preclear I boot from a flash drive into the free version of unRAID and preclear my drives.  Since I work now from my laptop mostly the old desktop sits turned off most of the time so I can do that - run preclears without affecting anything.  What you could do is use something like HDTunePro to get a smart report on the drive before you start the VM and another after you shutdown the VM.  Then just ignore any messages from preclear about accessing smart settings.