Whats the better deal?

Mopar_Mudder

Not baced on price per gig but on quality, I have heard theire are issues with the 1.5tb drives.

Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $139.99 (.093 per gig)

5 Year Warrenty

Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $99.99 (.099 per gig)

3 Year Warrenty

HITACHI Deskstar 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $89.99 (.089 per gig)

Don't buy the deskstar.  It's not in the same league as the WD or Seagate.  It's ridiculously hot and slow (for a 7200rpm drive).  I would lean towards the WD drive when compared to the Seagate.  There seem to have been quite a few firmware issues with the seagate drives.  They also have a 1e-14 error rate instead of 1e-15.

You don't include it but I would lean towards the Samsung Spinpoint 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM drives.  I saw the 5400 rpm version at newegg for $90 the other day.

Warning, I just read some complaints on AVSForum regarding Samsung. The poster was having difficulties getting a replacement for a failed drive. I tried searching for information on Samsung warranty and RMA and it was darned difficult to get to as opposed to both Seagate and Western Digital.

Archived