Failed Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB Drive ??

JarDo

You could try replacing the cable.

Retesting using the long test does not seem like a productive idea, since what makes it a *long* test is a complete surface scan, and that is not likely to cause freezes, especially if it had already succeeded.  I would just run a series of short tests.

If you can't pinpoint any other issues, you might want to also try an overnight memory test.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a question -what exactly are the symptoms of the problems with these Seagates?  Not failure, but the drive pause issue with streaming media.  While watching Gods and Generals in HD off of one of these drives, my whole unraid server locked up - could not access any shares or the web interface, nor telnet.  Had to hard reboot.

After, the parity check showed no errors.  Second time it locked up like this in three weeks.  Not sure if this is the drive issue -- if the drive "pauses" for 30 seconds like many owners have complained, would this totally freeze unraid requiring a reboot or would the drive just be unavailable for a minute?  Question is should I be looking at the drive or some other possible issue with Unraid?  I've got 4 of these monster 1.5's in the box as well as a 1TB and 3 750s.  PS is an Antec 500 and the box didn't seem that hot, although the drive serving the media (holding Gods...) was at about 38 degrees. 

Thanks!

How long did you wait before rebooting?  What was on the console screen?  My apologies, but it is not clear to me if you checked to see if the unRAID server had truly crashed or just lost network connectivity.

I can't answer your question about those drives, as I don't have one, but it doesn't sound right at all, that a drive could cause a hard freeze.  You really need to either get a syslog at the console, or get a pic (using a digital camera) of what is on the console screen.

Thanks for the response. 

I waited maybe 10-15 minutes.  Never appeared to come back. 

Next time it happens, I'll see what I can get.  I did try - tried to telnet in to get the log -- but nothing was responsive.  The video signal goes to sleep after some period of time and the only way to bring it back is with a keystroke, and I can't hook up a keyboard w/o pulling it out of the rack.  I'll make sure to have that all set next time so I can see what's on screen.  You're right - I hadn't considered it could be just a network issue. 

Thanks.