unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc16c Available

Download | Release Notes

Finally, I think this fixes the "transport endpoint not connected" issue!  You guys who can make this happen, please pound on it to verify bug is truly fixed.  I had a method by which I could get it to fail and with -16c it's been solid.  If it does happen, it should generate a file in the root of the server file system called "/core".  Please copy this file to a disk, e.g., "cp /core /mnt/disk1" and then send me an email and we'll figure out a way for you to get it to me (it's around 40MB in size).

Turns out the problem was with linux "fuse" component.  The "transport endpoint not connected" message was getting generated because the 'shfs' (user share file system) process was getting terminated.  The next file system operation triggered the error message because there was no "endpoint" any more to receive the request.

So how was 'shfs' process getting terminated?  To figure this out I had to recompile with 'debugging' symbols, make it fail, then recover the core dump file.  Next used 'gdb' debugger to analyze the core dump and determined that an "assert" was getting triggered in fuse function "unlock_path()".  This led to a finding a similar bug report.  Investigating the 'fuse development' tree on sourceforge, I notice, hey, there's a new release available!  Looking in the ChangeLog we see:

2013-02-04  Miklos Szeredi <[email protected]>

* libfuse: fix crash in unlock_path().  Patch by Ratna Manoj

This was a tough one.  :P

Also fixed the share "free space calculation" bug introduced in -16b.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great to see this resolved.  Although I haven't personally had the bug, I've followed those who do ... and know it's been "kicking you" a good bit  :)

I presume this means v5.0 is getting CLOSE  8)

Hopefully this will free up some of your time so you can (finally) add UPS support and e-mail notifications  8) 8) 8)  ... perhaps to v5.1 !!  [My suggestion to make e-mail notification simple both for you and the users is to just implement it for <name>@gmail.com ... so everything's already done except the username.  Anyone can get a free gmail account ... and there wouldn't be any configuration hassles  :) ]

A lot of time was lost, and you are on a roll, so if it keeps going it's appreciated.

The version of netatalk in unRaid is 2.2.3.  Upgrading to 2.2.4 is easy, but from the change log:

Changes in 2.2.4

FIX: Missing UAM links

FIX: Lockup in AFP logout on Fedora 17

FIX: Reset signal handlers and alarm timer after successfull PAM authentication. Fixes a problem with AFP disconnects caused by pam_smbpass.so messing with our handlers and timer.

FIX: afpd: Fix a possible problem with sendfile on Solaris derived platforms

It doesn't look like there's anything there that would concern us.  Really what I want to do is upgrade to 3.0.x or even 3.1.x, but that will require significant testing and it would not be wise to delay a 'stable' release further.

A lot of time was lost, and you are on a roll, so if it keeps going it's appreciated.

The version of netatalk in unRaid is 2.2.3.  Upgrading to 2.2.4 is easy, but from the change log:

Changes in 2.2.4

FIX: Missing UAM links

FIX: Lockup in AFP logout on Fedora 17

FIX: Reset signal handlers and alarm timer after successfull PAM authentication. Fixes a problem with AFP disconnects caused by pam_smbpass.so messing with our handlers and timer.

FIX: afpd: Fix a possible problem with sendfile on Solaris derived platforms

It doesn't look like there's anything there that would concern us.  Really what I want to do is upgrade to 3.0.x or even 3.1.x, but that will require significant testing and it would not be wise to delay a 'stable' release further.

That is one way to look at it, or adding the last 2.x version at the very least since 3.x will be a while for us until we see it, is another.

It could end up being a good update for afp for the time being, or not, only one way to find out. Your choice in the end.

Installed RC16c and all looks fine.  Just finished doing two parity checks with 16b (one with, one without Cache_Dirs) ... and they were fine;  so now updated to RC16c, did a few transfers to confirm everything looks okay, and about to kick off another parity check.

Noticed linux kernel 3.10 has been released, dare I upgrade?  ;D

[Ducking out of the way of objects being thrown at me]

I like this quote:

"this release has been pretty typical and not particularly prone to problems,"

file that with -

“There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.” — Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp. (DEC),

“We will never make a 32 bit operating system.” — Bill Gates

“Flight by machines heavier than air is unpractical (sic) and insignificant, if not utterly impossible.” - Simon Newcomb

“The cinema is little more than a fad. It’s canned drama. What audiences really want to see is flesh and blood on the stage.” -– Charlie Chaplin

“This ‘telephone’ has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us.” — A memo at Western Union, 1878

“The world potential market for copying machines is 5000 at most.” — IBM, to the eventual founders of Xerox

“Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever.” — Thomas Edison

“Television won’t be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night.” — Darryl Zanuck

Seems that this indeed did the trick. I can now perform a backup operation to an external drive using rsync, just as it was possible in the good old days of 4.x. Thanks so much for hunting down this annoying bug. I'll test next that the Crashplan module works again as it used to as well.

Free Space on user shares still seems to behave the same as rc16b.

What I fixed was this: in calculating free space for a user share, rc16b only tallied free space on each disk where the share currently exists.  In rc16c it also includes free space on each disk where it could potentially exist based on include/exclude masks, and whether it's marked cache-only or split=0.

I think there is more work to be done however, in handling the used/free space on the cache disk.

Seems that this indeed did the trick. I can now perform a backup operation to an external drive using rsync, just as it was possible in the good old days of 4.x. Thanks so much for hunting down this annoying bug. I'll test next that the Crashplan module works again as it used to as well.

Yes indeed it was an annoying bug, thank you for the report!

Free Space on user shares still seems to behave the same as rc16b.

What I fixed was this: in calculating free space for a user share, rc16b only tallied free space on each disk where the share currently exists.  In rc16c it also includes free space on each disk where it could potentially exist based on include/exclude masks, and whether it's marked cache-only or split=0.

I think there is more work to be done however, in handling the used/free space on the cache disk.

Share Movies

Split Level = 0

Included disks = disk1-disk9 (disk1, disk2, disk3 etc...)

Excluded disks = blank

Use Cache = Yes

Free Space 5.7TB

Share Music

Split Level = 0

Included disks = disk1-disk9 (disk1, disk2, disk3 etc...)

Excluded disks = blank

Use Cache = Yes

Free Space 2.19TB

Is the issue a legacy one from it being setup in SimpleFeatures? Or is my expectation of Free Space incorrect?

Thanks

Will