Disk assignments in WebGui - "Not installed" entry

BTW, keep forgetting to bring this up, I used to have a disk8,9,10 a while back, once I removed them and cleared the config, I get entries "Not installed" in the webgui for the drive assignments where those drives used to be, this used to not happen back in the days when one cleared the drive configuration. You would not get "Not installed" entries in the WebGui.

So if one starts with a completely fresh unRAID installation and leaves gaps between drive assignments it is not reflected in the WebGui, if you then clear the config and remove any drives and start the array THEN you see the "Not installed" entry(s). Should not be the case right?

Screenshot displaying behaviour attached.

Wondering if anyone has done this AND running SF and see the same as well (out of curiosity).

Not_installed.jpg.facf7c046ee41f041455417408b51704.jpg

I tested the behavior on a development rig.

I stopped the array, started a new config.

assigned drives 1-3. I put drive 4 in slot 5 and now slot 4 says "Not Installed".

Frankly I don't know if this is an issue or not.

From what I remember about 4.7.

I skipped slot 6 because I had 6 ports on the motherboard.

5 were in the first supermicro removable chassis, 6 was slated for an SSD.

I had 15 data drives allocated to uNRAID.

In the old 4.7 interface, slot 6 showed up as not installed. (from what I remember 6 months ago).

So it may be an issue or may not.

I have not tried to remove the super.dat file yet.

I kind of like this behavior.  I skip drive slots on purpose in my server on purpose.  I might have 16 drives total in my setup but I have skipped disk2 and disk9 in the webGUI so that there is a visual break as far as content is organized.

I would love to 'divide' up the drives visually too, but not at the expense of loosing that drive slot  ;)

But I hear ya, it's what I tried to do with my other machine so that each controller was visually separate.

I kind of like this behavior.  I skip drive slots on purpose in my server.  I might have 16 drives total in my setup but I have skipped disk2 and disk9 in the webGUI so that there is a visual break as far as content is organized.

Confused, you would not have a visual break if thats how you initially set it up. You would then need to run a new config and re-assign your drives to get the 'visual break'. So it should either have it from the initial setup or not at all (after a new config). OR do we call this an easter egg feature?

I kind of like this behavior.  I skip drive slots on purpose in my server.  I might have 16 drives total in my setup but I have skipped disk2 and disk9 in the webGUI so that there is a visual break as far as content is organized.

Confused, you would not have a visual break if thats how you initially set it up. You would then need to run a new config and re-assign your drives to get the 'visual break'. So it should either have it from the initial setup or not at all (after a new config). OR do we call this an easter egg feature?

I just did a new config. It renames super.dat to super.old.

As soon as I added drives and 'started' the array, super.dat was created.

So this may just be the normal behavior.

In what sense is this normal LOL (I am trying to understand)?

Is it that the initial setup = super.dat writes only entries for the disks you have assigned only, and then once you new config, the code is different and it writes super.dat differently starting from your lowest drive assignment # to the highest and not leaving out the gap(s)? thereby the WebGui reads the NULL (for a lack of better words) values and display's "Not installed"?

Because if you notice in my screenshot I don't have Disk19-24 labeled as "Not install" the entries don't exist. No visual break, why not?

Would someone with 6 drives want to scroll through 18 visual breaks to get to the option buttons at the bottom of the page?

To me it still seems like whether its an initial config or 15 new config's, unraid should only display what is assigned.

Then something like SF could have an option to add rows for disk entries with no assignments thereby giving someone the option for visual breaks because they choose to, or Tom adding this himself.

I suppose you could stop your array, move drive 18 to slot 19 and see what happens.

18 should show not installed.

Then move drive 19 back to 18 to see if 19 says not installed.

The only other test for me to do would be to delete the super.dat file and reboot, then assign drives 1-3 and drive 5.

I can't do this now. my monitor is hooked up to my work computer.

I just stopped my array, did a new config.

reassigned drives 1-3, put drive 4 in slot 23.

All slots in between said not installed.

I then did a new config again.

Put drives in slots 1-4, there are no not installed slots.

I think it prunes the list at the end of last installed drive, but for drives in between first and last, it says "not installed".

This is how I remember it being for 4.7.

If the initial config vs. a later "New Config" isn't showing the "not installed" slots, than clearly something's different.

I don't recall the specifics, but I know that Joe L's pre-clear looks at TWO places to identify whether or not a disk is part of the array and should be excluded from the list of available disks for pre-clearing.

I think it's the SuperDat file and one of the .cfg files, but I don't recall for sure, and can't find the post where he details that (just did a quick scan).

If the behavior is in fact different with a "New Config" vs. the initial setup; then I suspect one of those files isn't being cleared with the "New Config" option.

FWIW, I don't see anything wrong with the way it works ... it's simple enough to not leave empty slots when doing a "New Config" if you don't like to see the "Not Installed" indications.

Starting from a fresh boot with no super.dat.

Assign drive 1-3, 7  (parity, disk1, disk2, disk 3in slot disk7).

slots 3,4,5,6 show "Not installed".

There aren't any not installed slots after slot 7 and before the flash.

This is the behavior as I remember it.

I don't believe an initial config is any different then the 'new config'

if super.dat is renamed, and I've rebooted, it means that emhttp & md driver is no longer caching and previous values.

Starting from a fresh boot with no super.dat.

Assign drive 1-3, 7  (parity, disk1, disk2, disk 3in slot disk7).

slots 3,4,5,6 show "Not installed".

There aren't any not installed slots after slot 7 and before the flash.

This is the behavior as I remember it.

I seem to recall doing the same thing when I initially set up my 4.7 system ... left a couple slots empty so all drives attached to each of my 1430SA's would be contiguous when I ultimately used the other connections (long since done).    As I noted above, I think the display is fine like that.

Arghhh... I finally found my (Dev) unRAID 5.0Beta10 VM, copied it back to the ESXi datastore, mounted the disk, put down a fresh install of beta10. Booted and forgot this is Basic no license  :'( so I can't test... I was using it for something completely different back in the days to test. There goes that idea. Sorry.

I just know I started with 2TB drives, then later moved them to higher# slots to make room for 3TB drives I started to purchase in lower# slots, with a large gap between, didnt have "Not installed". Later added (4) 160GB drives then later added 250GB drive, removed the 160GB later again and noticed the "Not installed". But don't have proof at this point to showcase this now.