Need to build new unraid server- sick of my build being unstable for years

Hi-

For years I have had unRaid running on a 3G Intel P4, with 1G RAM, on an ASUS mobo (I forgot the number, but it is the one where the GigE port always dies- which it did after about a year).  I have 1 parity and 13 data drives (many SATA, and several 500G IDE PATA, for a total of about 9TB total storage.  I've had it with this build- it has been unstable since birth.

Can someone please recommend a solid motherboard with a gig port that can support multiple drives- no IDE, all SATA.  I am thinking i3 would be fine.  I am also looking for corresponding memory (probably 1G, unless more would be better), and of course a rock solid power supply.  I will be looking to populate with 2TB drives, and maybe some of the older 1TB drives I have in my current build (after pulling data from them).  And also a new boot USB thumb drive recommendation.

If you can help me, thanks!

The SuperMicro D525 board is an excellent choice UNLESS you need more "horsepower" to run plugins.  I used the D525 in my server, and am very happy with the choice.  It's a bit less expensive here than in the link above:  http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-X7SPA5

My favorite case for a "Plus" system is the Lian-Li PC-Q25B, which supports up to 7 drives and has VERY good cooling for the drives, with 5 in hot-swap bays.

If you want a more powerful CPU than the Atom, you can use this board:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131841

... with an i3/5/7 as you choose (an i3 is plenty for most plugins)

I would not, however, use that case/board/CPU combo if you're serious about using older small-capacity (1 & 2TB) drives.  It makes much more sense with 3TB or 4TB drives.  Mine has 6 3TB WD Reds ... for a protected capacity of 15TB.

By the way, the Seasonic power supply recommended above will NOT fit in the Q25B case.  There are a couple of ATX units that will fit ... but do NOT buy one larger than 5.5" long (the 3.4 x 5.9 width and height are standard).    An SFX unit is a better choice for that case.

The SuperMicro D525 board is an excellent choice UNLESS you need more "horsepower" to run plugins.  I used the D525 in my server, and am very happy with the choice.

+1......I've been using a SM D525 board for about two months and it's been working well. My usage is pretty moderate and I'm very happy with the power and noise reduction. Supermicro's IPMI is a very good remote management interface especially if you run headless.

I'm waiting for that Lian Li case to go on sale. The 'Q25B has a great set of features!

Good luck with your new build!

The SuperMicro D525 board is an excellent choice UNLESS you need more "horsepower" to run plugins.  I used the D525 in my server, and am very happy with the choice.

+1......I've been using a SM D525 board for about two months and it's been working well. My usage is pretty moderate and I'm very happy with the power and noise reduction. Supermicro's IPMI is a very good remote management interface especially if you run headless.

I'm waiting for that Lian Li case to go on sale. The 'Q25B has a great set of features!

Good luck with your new build!

I bought the PSU extender and it fits nicely in the Q25b case.

Thought I would chime in about the motherboard, I have been running:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X7SPA-H-O, Lian-li pc-q08, 6x 2TB drive, unraid 4.7 pro

which is the older board, but it ran sab,sic and couch without any issues for the last few years.

The SuperMicro Atom board is now on its 3rd verson ... they originally made it with the Atom 330;  then the D510 (what I suspect Markb has); and now the D525.

All are superb, rock-solid boards.  I built mine almost a year ago, and it's never had so much as a "hiccup."  With all the RC's that have come out in the past few months, it's probably averaged 4-6 parity checks a week as I updated the versions, "played" with the tunable disk parameters to maximize performance, etc. => and they've always been perfect.    It streams at full network speeds ... ~ 120MB/s, and does a parity check on my array (6 3TB WD Reds) in 7:41

... and is VERY efficient => with the drives spun down it draws ~ 20 watts.  [With all drives spun up and running a parity check it still only draws 48-50 watts.]

Unless you want more CPU "horsepower" to do transcoding or other CPU-intensive tasks, I wouldn't use anything else.

Thanks all for the responses- So here comes the idiot question-  Does the D525 come with Atom CPU and memory preinstalled?  It seems like it, but I have never build an "all-included MOBO," and didn't know they made them.

The Q25B case looks pretty nice (form factor wise).  I am using the old silver Coolermaster that I believe the retail unRaid systems used to be delivered on- it is build like a tank, and huge.  I thought about going rack-mount with a Norco, but everything I have heard is that they are noisy.  And my rack is in the open.  (I use unRaid for movie storage- no plugins.  Just pure dumb storage).

The Atom processor is soldered onto the motherboard, you won't be able to upgrade it or remove it.  It has SO-DIMM memory slots which is what laptops use, not desktops.  No memory comes with it so you'll have to buy that separate.

Get the  Lian-li pc-q08 case it is very quiet.

The Q08 case is nice ... but the Q25B is nicer IMHO  8)

If I wanted an optical drive, I'd use the Q08;  but for UnRAID the hot-swap bays in the Q25B far outweigh the loss of a 5.25" bay.    And it's VERY quiet [i've actually built systems with both of these cases, and they're equally good with regard to noise level].

All- thanks for the responses

Is anyone using this PS?

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-139-026&SortField=0&SummaryType=2&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2

It looks like it will fit

yes i am, and a lot of other people too, i got 8 green drives currently connected to it and its working fine, current calculations are it should support approx (depending on cpu/expansion card/mobo) 10 modern green drives.

So I got all of my components and constructed my new server.  I am having some issues getting unraid to a place where it can start.  Here is what I have done-

1) I reformatted my micro USB boot drive, copied over the 4.7 release, and copied my pro.key to the config directory

2) The box would not boot into unRaid- so I brought the micro thumb drive back to my windows pc, and ran as administrator the batch file like "make bootable"

3) Unraid boots, and my 4 drives are recognized (1 parity, 3 data)- they are listed under devices

4) I assign them, BUT NOTHING HAPPENS.  I cannot start array, as "No Array Disc Devices Have Been Assigned."  ... but this is untrue

5) Log file indicates the following:  "could not read superblock from /boot/config/super.dat

6) super.dat is not there, so I "touched" it to create one.  The size never changes, and stays at zero, no matter how may times I try to assign devices

7) Perhaps some kind of permission error?

Also,

These drives have no jumpers installed- should they?

Thanks for the assistance-

The Q08 case is nice ... but the Q25B is nicer IMHO  8)

If I wanted an optical drive, I'd use the Q08;  but for UnRAID the hot-swap bays in the Q25B far outweigh the loss of a 5.25" bay.    And it's VERY quiet [i've actually built systems with both of these cases, and they're equally good with regard to noise level].

I picked the lian li q08 for a couple reasons .  First off I cut the wire to the blue led on the fan.  It has more options/vents (top, front, bottom and sides) for cooling. I don't care about hot swap. I have the seasonic 400 watt fanless that fits fine.  I turned it towards the outside of the case since the q08 has vents on the sides.  The 6 screws on the sides suck if you're in there alot. You can fit 6 drives +1 in the 5.25 and a 2.5.  The q25 can fit 2 more 2.5.  There is plenty of room on the bottom for more.  Wish they had put a mount on the bottom like the q25. But the main reason was the $30 difference.  Both are great, it just came down to hot swap vs $30