USB drive not booting after a reboot...

jbuszkie

I have an a7n8x deluxe MB and a generic flash drive.  From a cold power up I can boot from the USB with no issues.

but if I reboot or regular power cycle, it doesn't see the flash drive and won't boot.  My only recourse is to completly turn off the board (switch on the PS) to kill 5VSB.  Then I can boot again..  This is very annoying if I have to remote reboot.

Has anyone seen this or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Jim

Yeah..  I'm going to try another flash drive..  I might behave better..  The one I have is a freebie My wife got at a conference..

So it's kinda crappy! :D

My other thought is I believe I can change the USB ports from 5VSB powered to Regular 5V.  At least then I might be able to

power off and then  WOL power up..  I'll give that a try too..

jim

He's right, if you can't get the flash to reboot with any of the suggested fixes.  Keep the USB drive as the first boot option, and make the floppy drive the second option, so that it will make an attempt to boot from flash, but then try the floppy whenever it does not find the flash.

Of course, this is assuming that it can find the flash drive at all, with the extra boot time, after the floppy boot.  Probably not.  If no flash, then no unRAID.  (unless you are WeeboTech!)

Of course, this is assuming that it can find the flash drive at all, with the extra boot time, after the floppy boot.  Probably not.  If no flash, then no unRAID.  (unless you are WeeboTech!)

LOL, yeah reminder.. I have to get that grub4dos boot floppy online so you can boot from a floppy and load unRAID from one of your hard drives.

PS> thanks for the reminder.  ;)