unRAID disk spindown during media play sometimes causes freeze

I don't have time to read through 5 pages of wtf.  Please provide a summary of the issue, bearing in mind:

a) in all my testing spindown works just fine.

b) I don't support any 3rd party tinkering with spindown and/or setting the drive spindown timers.

c) the unraid-driver issues spin-ups in order to implement spinup-groups, emhttp uses smartctl to spin drives down

d) if you are running in a VM try it on the native h/w before posting an issue about spindown

This is quite simple Tom, Everytime unRAID disk spindown setting is reached, in my case I have it set at 30 mins, any media that is playing has a hard freeze for a few seconds. If I disable the spindown setting the freeze does not occur. Afp, clients running plex.

As a secondary test I ran the script here and do not experience the freeze at all and the disks spin down as required.

The issue the other person has is a limitation of VMware RDM and under VMware DirectPath it is a none issue, so no not a unRAID problem in that regard.

This is quite simple Tom, Everytime unRAID disk spindown setting is reached, in my case I have it set at 30 mins, any media that is playing has a hard freeze for a few seconds. If I disable the spindown setting the freeze does not occur. Afp, clients running plex.

As a secondary test I ran the script here and do not experience the freeze at all and the disks spin down as required.

Thank you for the summary, that's information I can use.  I will try and duplicate that.

Thank you very much, because especially for movies the family looks funny at me as they are 1.5 to 3 hrs long = several hard freezes per movie. One per tv show over 30mins long.

Yes the thread went in several directions each for their own purpose. I jumped in as this was a perfect way to disable unRaids way of doing things and see what someone else daemon would behave.

In 4.6 it was necessary to put all drives connected to a SASLP-MV8 controller (and maybe others) in one spinup group to prevent movie freezes when a drive connected to the controller would spin down. Is there anything about 5 that changes that? When I first installed 5 (not sure what rc it was) spinup groups defaulted to off.