Extended Attributes Fix

modifed 7-11-2013 to correctly handle directories with spaces

There was a bug fixed back in -rc13:

- shfs: fixed removexattr() for directories to look at all disks even if xattr not present on some

For those using AFP this bug may have caused extraneous extended attributes to be left on the top-level directories of your data disks (i.e., your share directories).  This may also cause the 'mover' to not complete correctly when the target directory is on one of those disks.  You might see error messages in syslog like this:

rsync: get_xattr_data: lgetxattr(".","user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.1qmk2g",0) failed: Exec format 

I have developed a script that should clean up this mess with the extended attributes on directories.

Save the attached file to the root of your flash device (same place where bzimage/bzroot are).  Next, you will need to look at each of the top-level directories on all of your disks.  For example, let's say you have /mnt/disk1/Movies directory.

From telnet session first type this:

getfattr –d /mnt/disk1/Movies

If this does not produce any messages, then the directory is clean and you can move on to the next directory.

If it does produce a list of several of those  “user.org.netatalk.supports-eas” attributes along with possibly a few errors, then you should next type this:

/boot/rmattrs /mnt/disk1/Movies

If it just returns and produces no messages, then type this:

getfattr –d /mnt/disk1/Movies

And verify that nothing is listed by this now either.

View the directory and see if everything looks ok:

vdir /mnt/disk1/Movies

If one of those steps fails, STOP and post here before proceeding!

If everything worked, then you will need to do the above procedure for each top-level directory on each data disk.  Yes this might be tedious but I’d rather do this one-by-one, than risk something going wrong with a more complex script.

For  a directory with spaces, use this syntax:

/boot/rmattrs "/mnt/disk1/TV Shows"

or

/boot/rmattrs /mnt/disk1/TV\ Shows

rmattrs

Very nice to see this.  I am messing around with it on my server which I know has some of these problems and I have discovered one issue.

Your script does not like spaces in the directory names.  Not sure if you want me to upload my fixed version or send it your direction but my modified one is working for me.

For reference I have a share called "TV Shows" that is was failing on.

Very nice to see this.  I am messing around with it on my server which I know has some of these problems and I have discovered one issue.

Your script does not like spaces in the directory names.  Not sure if you want me to upload my fixed version or send it your direction but my modified one is working for me.

On the off chance you may not have tried, did you try calling the script with the directory wrapped in quotes?

-John

I had that same issue, too, so I just removed the space on the folder per disk basis. I thought it was just me.

When I run "getfattr" I get (under RC16b):

root@Tower:~# getfattr –d /mnt/disk1/Media
getfattr: –d: No such file or directory

Is this OK?

Yes, you don't want ANY entries with "user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.xxxx" to come back.

Its important to note (Tom should add) depending on how many files you have, is how long it will take to search for extended attributes, and if it finds them, the move and move back will depend on how many files as well (if I am not mistaken).

I see this .......

root@tower:/boot# getfattr  -d /mnt/disk2/Movie
/mnt/disk2/Movie: user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.2mxSuY: Input/output error
getfattr: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
# file: mnt/disk2/Movie
user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.nW4p1q=0seWVzAA==
user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.zVDgV6=0seWVzAA==

I see this .......

# file: mnt/disk2/Movie

None of those should exist.

That is a damaged/corrupted one, running mover (provided u have a cache drive) or rync with extended attribute support script will choke to the movie user share.

[/code]

These two got written and should have been immediately removed, weren't and are read each time only confusing matters.

Tom's script will remove all three, none will come back. His script may have an issue with spaces in a share name, so I would hold until he comments back.

In your case "Movies" does not contain a space in the name and can be run again the "Movie" directory for EACH disk it resides on.

Yes, please email to me: [email protected]

Thanks!

I found some on my disk 6 [1-5 ok] root:

root@Tower:~# getfattr -d /mnt/disk6
# file: mnt/disk6
user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.5eEg2D
user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.D19lJz
user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.GczGE0
user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.J0IAGj
user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.cW7w71
user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.mU9ttc

Ran /boot/rmattrs /mnt/disk6, which then caused an OOM errors and the server fell over.

I don't know if it is the script or something else, but I'm going to try again and watch memory usage!!

Confirmed: As soon as I start the script the memory usage goes through the roof (cached memory fills up) and then everything eventually falls over.

Yep: Even at stock (as safemode doesn't allow any access to the server at all  ::))

Now I get:

root@Tower:~# getfattr -d /mnt/disk6
/mnt/disk6: user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.5eEg2D: Input/output error
/mnt/disk6: user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.D19lJz: Input/output error
# file: mnt/disk6
user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.GczGE0=0seWVzAA==
/mnt/disk6: user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.J0IAGj: Input/output error
/mnt/disk6: user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.cW7w71: Input/output error
/mnt/disk6: user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.mU9ttc: Input/output error

Disk and the data is fine, it seems.

Solution?

You are supposed to run it on the top level folders on the disk, not the disk itself.

By top level folders, you mean user shares (if they're being used)?  Just want to make sure I did it right (and not wrong as per my problem above).

ex. I have 13 drives, and I used "getfattr -d /mnt/disk#/Movies" (where # was 1-12), and they all reported "user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.J0IAGj: Input/output error" and a few "Removing leading '/' from absolute path names"

Then I ran "/boot/rmattrs /mnt/disk#/Movies" for each of the drives (since they all reported errors), and not testing again with getfattr -d nothing shows up.  Is this the right practice?

Ill run it on my user shares now!

Note that the instructions tell you to run it on the disk shares (rather than the user shares) and one folder at a time.  How important this is I am not sure, but I guess there must be a reason Tom specified doing at that level of granularity.

e.g.

User Share = "TV SHows" / Disks Included = disk1-4

Disk1 Top level directory = "TV SHows"

Disk2 Top level directory = "TV SHows" (user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.xxx)

Disk3 Top level directory = "TV SHows"

Disk4 Top level directory = "TV SHows"

So you would run:

getfattr –d /mnt/disk1/TV\ Shows/

getfattr –d /mnt/disk2/TV\ Shows/

getfattr –d /mnt/disk3/TV\ Shows/

getfattr –d /mnt/disk4/TV\ Shows/

You would notice that when you got to disk #2 the command outputted you had an "user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.xxx"

So now you would run: /boot/rmattrs "/mnt/disk2/TV Shows"

Now verify the apple eas extended attribute is now gone: getfattr –d /mnt/disk2/TV\ Shows/

Don't run against User Share nor a Disk itself, run "getfattr –d" against the top level directory on EACH disk, to see whether it contains a eas extended attribute. If it finds one or more, run Tom's script to have them removed them.

The script is actually creating a new directory (e.g. TV Shows~temp) on the disk, moving all the data from your current (e.g. TV Shows) directory you selected to run against and then deletes the original (e.g. TV Shows) directory (Because the apple eas extended attribute is tied to the top level directory). Then re-names the temp (e.g. TV Shows~temp) directory to the original name (e.g. TV Shows). So you have to follow the directions if you don't want to lose data; hence why Tom want you to go one by one and stop immediately if something went wrong.

Hope I don't get a shellacking but you could speed up the process of FINDING if you have apple eas extended attributes by running

getfattr –dR /mnt/user (if you have a cache drive)

getfattr –dR /mnt/user0 (if you don't have a cache drive)

So it would scan all in one shot for you and should any come back you should note the DISK & Top Level Directory it references the apple eas extend attribute resides on, so you know which disk and top level directory to run the "rmattrs" against.

Note as an example the following is not an apple eas extended attribute, it is a file extended attribute and IS correct:

uninstall_flash_player_osx.dmg
user.com.apple.metadata:kMDItemDownloadedDate=0sYnBsaXN0MDChATNBtRZGToOIIggKAAAAAAAAAQEAAAAAAAAAAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABM=
user.com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms=0sYnBsaXN0MDCiAQJfEFdodHRwOi8vZnBkb3dubG9hZC5tYWNyb21lZGlhLmNvbS9nZXQvZmxhc2hwbGF5ZXIvY3VycmVudC91bmluc3RhbGxfZmxhc2hfcGxheWVyX29zeC5kbWdfEElodHRwOi8vaGVscHguYWRvYmUuY29tL2ZsYXNoLXBsYXllci9rYi91bmluc3RhbGwtZmxhc2gtcGxheWVyLW1hYy1vcy5odG1sCAtlAAAAAAAAAQEAAAAAAAAAAwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALE=
user.com.apple.quarantine="0001;4f660ece;Safari;605F0A3D-7CE8-4202-A649-C2A42459336C|com.apple.Safari"

Hope I don't get a shellacking but you could speed up the process of FINDING if you have apple eas extended attributes by running

getfattr –dR /mnt/user (if you have a cache drive)

getfattr –dR /mnt/user0 (if you don't have a cache drive)

So it would scan all in one shot for you and should any come back you should note the DISK & Top Level Directory it references the apple eas extend attribute resides on, so you know which disk and top level directory to run the "rmattrs" against.

I'm not sure this is correct. Maybe I'm not using the right flags/options, but my results did not indicate which disk the file resided on -- just referenced the absolute User Share path.