Other discussion about PAE

optiman

with unraid currently a 32bit OS, why would you even install more than 4gb of ram?  Can Unix 32bit use more than 4?  If not, I would uninstall the extra and run only 4gb.  That is what I'm running and I don't run out of memory.

I was planning to wait for 64bit and then go with more ram so I could run more plugins.

I'm a windows guy, so I may have all of this wrong.

with unraid currently a 32bit OS, why would you even install more than 4gb of ram?  Can Unix 32bit use more than 4?  If not, I would uninstall the extra and run only 4gb.  That is what I'm running and I don't run out of memory.

I was planning to wait for 64bit and then go with more ram so I could run more plugins.

I'm a Windows guy as well ... but I do know that Linux does a good job of managing physical address extension (PAE) on systems that support it.    PAE is how Windows server OS's can manage far more than 4GB of RAM on 32-bit servers [both Server 2003 and Server 2008 support up to 64GB in the 32-bit versions].    Microsoft intentionally did not include PAE support in their client OS's ... although there are several add-ons that provided ways to use more RAM ... notably a couple of commercial RAMDisk utilities that would use PAE to implement RAMDisks with memory above 4GB.

Bottom line:  The Linux kernel supports PAE, so that's why folks often install > 4GB

I'm a Windows guy as well ... but I do know that Linux does a good job of managing physical address extension (PAE) on systems that support it.    PAE is how Windows server OS's can manage far more than 4GB of RAM on 32-bit servers [both Server 2003 and Server 2008 support up to 64GB in the 32-bit versions].    Microsoft intentionally did not include PAE support in their client OS's ... although there are several add-ons that provided ways to use more RAM ... notably a couple of commercial RAMDisk utilities that would use PAE to implement RAMDisks with memory above 4GB.

Bottom line:  The Linux kernel supports PAE, so that's why folks often install > 4GB

==>You don't know Windows to well either.<==

Certain 32-bit versions of Windows Server running on x86-based systems can use PAE to access up to 64 GB or 128 GB of physical memory, depending on the physical address size of the processor.

System Support for PAE

PAE is supported only on the following 32-bit versions of Windows running on x86-based systems:

Windows 7 (32 bit only)

Windows Server 2008 (32-bit only)

Windows Vista (32-bit only)

Windows Server 2003 (32-bit only)

Windows XP (32-bit only)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366796(v=vs.85).aspx

PAE is HW dependent as well, not just the OS supporting it.

==>You don't know Windows to well either.<==

I'm not going to argue the point ... but I will note that I've been a Microsoft MVP in Windows for a long time.

PAE allows more than just the address extension registers that allow addressing > 4GB of RAM.  It is also used to enable hardware DEP (Data Execution Prevention) ... which is what it's used for exclusively on the 32-bit consumer OS's [XP, Vista, and Windows 7].    Microsoft has NOT used it to extend the amount of RAM these OS's support => they've only done that for the server OS's.  And of course any of this is only possible on "systems that support it" (as I noted above) => without that hardware support no system can implement the PAE feature set.

The max memory supported by the various OS's, for both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) editions, is shown here [Note that NO consumer OS supports more than 4GB in the x32 version]:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

As I noted earlier, on systems that support PAE, the addressing features are indeed implemented on all of the OS's ... so a 3rd party utility can support more memory ... but the OS does NOT for the consumer OS's [XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 ]

I'm not going to argue the point ... but ...

==> No you can't, and NO but's <===

... I will note that I've been a Microsoft MVP in Windows for a long time.

Here we go again, you left out how long you have been doing this for...

Look its real simple, your comment help him how much ZERO, no one is saying its an unRAID issue, he's having a problem help or don't comment just to post. If some info is missing ask him for it, he was asked to remove ram he did, but it didn't help him. Move his post elsewhere and let someone help him.