Got a down drive and far away

Hey all I am away from my installation and I just received an email that I have a bad drive.  I can access it via web and telnet.  Are there any things I can try to figure out if this drive is really dead remotely or try to wake her back up?

Thanks,

Neil

I hope you have telnet access through a VPN, otherwise, your server is a prime target for every script-kiddie in the world.

You can type

smartctl -a /dev/sdX

and see if it returns a smart report.

You can type

hdparm -i /dev/sdX

and see if it responds. 

If the drive is disabled, it is because a WRITE to it failed.  It is guaranteed to have incorrect contents.  It must be re-constructed to be corrected.

If the disk does not respond to the two commands given above, it might have actually died, or, it could as easily be a loose or intermittent cable, drive tray, power supply splitter, etc.  You would need to power down and re-seat the connections on its cables.

It is VPN available only thank you for your concern.  I tried and I get no such device so I am thinking it is dead as a doornail.  Too bad.  I guess I will run crippled.  Currently I can't get to the web site because it seems to have crashed.  I am running R5 - I know it is old but I haven't needed to update but will after I resolve this problem and hopefully it will be a bit more solid of a web interface.

Thanks,

Neil