UK heatwave - everyone's unraid servers still ticking along nicely?

binhex

hi all, just thought i would find out how people in the UK unraid servers are coping with the heatwave, mine is still sitting pretty at current disk spinup temp of 28 Celsius, which is pretty impressive seeing as im not using aircon. At what air temp would you consider turning your server off until the heat subsides?

hi all, just thought i would find out how people in the UK unraid servers are coping with the heatwave, mine is still sitting pretty at current disk spinup temp of 28 Celsius, which is pretty impressive seeing as im not using aircon. At what air temp would you consider turning your server off until the heat subsides?

From what I have gathered:

<20 C = Probably too cold

20-35 C = Good

40 C = Consider buying better fans

45 C = Probably best to shut down computer

>50 C = Bad

From what I researched, we don't have very many "good" tests done on hard drives so no one can say for certain what temps are preferred. Google's test was one of the better ones I found but it still showed varied results.

yeah my server sits in the garage and temps actually are extremely good in summer time, winter is a different story with my disk temps getting down to around 5 C, which i know is pretty low, however its gone through one winter with no issues so for now its staying in there :-).

The way things are in Cambridgeshire right now, I think I am more likely to expire than my server...    :P

Ambient about 32 (no a/c here).  Drives averaging about 36 (reports via MyMain in unMenu with drives spun down).  If we had another 5 - 10 degrees then I would think about shutting down the server, but it's fine at the moment.

The way things are in Cambridgeshire right now, I think I am more likely to expire than my server...    :P

Ambient about 32 (no a/c here).  Drives averaging about 36 (reports via MyMain in unMenu with drives spun down).  If we had another 5 - 10 degrees then I would think about shutting down the server, but it's fine at the moment.

that a coincidence, im in Cambridgeshire too :-), yeah its damn hot thats for sure, i reckon i could keep the system running with another 10 degrees on top of what it is now, would bring my disk temp's to around 40 C then.

I have a nice air conditioner in the bedroom, so it's icy cold for me.

My two Microservers are sweating a bit in the living room, which gets very hot in the afternoon.

Currently, the CPU is at 44.5 C.

The 5900rpm cache drive, which is always spinning, is at 35 C.

My two 4TB 7200rpm Hitachi drives get hot when unpacking NZBs. I saw them at 42 C today, but that's nothing to worry about.

I have blackout treatments for the windows, and they are on in the afternoon, which keeps the temps down a bit, then the windows are opened at night to let air through.

I'm in the US, but my system lives in a house with Central Heating/Cooling.

Best $10,000 investment I've ever made. ;)

now thats devotion  ;D

Well the house needed it, but the server just gets to live in it. ;)

Our heating system was junk so we needed to upgrade it and figured might as well put in AC since we had things ripped apart anyways and financing was involved too.

Sorry for going all off topic on everybody lol

From what I recall about temperature and hard drives (can't find that report) is that hard drives are pretty tolerant.  To kill a hard drive quickly you have to go to extremes.  Since hard drives last for many years typically, it's hard to judge what the the threshold is.

There was a study completed a long time ago that determined hard drives are happiest between 20 and 30oC.  Start going outside of that range and your rate of failure starts to increase long term.  So, a few days of 30oC+ is likely not going to cause any impact to the life of the drive.  30oC+ all day every day is a different story.

That one report of hitting +5oC?  Ouch!  That will definitely shorten the life of the drive as it's well outside of the comfort zone.  People used to think that making a computer room 18oC helped increase the life of hardware, but it actually hurts them and a huge wast of energy in most climates.

I would gather if the hard drive is spun down the effects of temperature on the life of the drive is minimal as well.

You are lucky there in the UK with the "heatwave", last week with it we did hit 42ºC here in Lisbon, fortunately at night it did go down to acceptable values... and with all closed during day I was able to keep max 30ºC inside without AC :)  surely no problem with my unraid server but it is (yet) a very small server... and green hdd's, low power cpu, etc...

It's funny that I know what temp Celsius hard drives should be at but because I'm used to Fahrenheit I have no idea what the difference between 42 and 30 degrees Celsius actually feels like. When I first started using unRAID I thought to myself, what you can't change the temp reading to Fahrenheit! After I read around a bit I just accepted the fact that learning  Celsius on hard drives would be easier.

Hello from hot muggy kent lol, got the can of compressed air out at the weekend and gave the server and its fans a good clean as noticed the temps creaping up, also installed a new 2tb  whilst in here and pre cleared it,,

Also turned up my exhaust fan to medium, drives now back to threre happy 28-34

There was a study completed a long time ago that determined hard drives are happiest between 20 and 30oC.  Start going outside of that range and your rate of failure starts to increase long term.  So, a few days of 30oC+ is likely not going to cause any impact to the life of the drive.  30oC+ all day every day is a different story.

That one report of hitting +5oC?  Ouch!  That will definitely shorten the life of the drive as it's well outside of the comfort zone.  People used to think that making a computer room 18oC helped increase the life of hardware, but it actually hurts them and a huge wast of energy in most climates.

I would gather if the hard drive is spun down the effects of temperature on the life of the drive is minimal as well.

20 is "too low". 30 is not hot.  See if you can work out what the graph in this report means (I can't, as I have no idea what "Probability density" means!): http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/research.google.com/en//archive/disk_failures.pdf

20 is "too low". 30 is not hot.  See if you can work out what the graph in this report means (I can't, as I have no idea what "Probability density" means!): http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/research.google.com/en//archive/disk_failures.pdf

20 is certainly on the low side for a running drive. Google lumped all drives between 15 and 30 in a single group and that group has higher than average failure rates. The sweet spot for drives seems to be between 38 and 40. Most drives that failed within 3 years were operating over 40.

• 4 weeks later...

My server is in the cupboard under the stairs and during the Winter my drives rarely exceed 32c. In our heatwave I found things heading up towards 38c. So I just opened the cupboard door, and things returned to normal in the low 30s. That's in an Antec 902 case.