D-316M Server Case Now Available To Order

There are plenty of cheaper options. Not sure how available Norco cases are in Europe but certainly popular with unraid builders.

I use one of these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219021

$449 for limetech's case in my opinion is way over-priced.

Unfortunately you do not get this case in Europe, at least not where I live. However, you get a similar case that seems to be a "clone" (Inter-Tech 4U-4320L) . The NORCO RPC-4020 costs $300, that would be about 225€. A comparable housing, like the Inter-Tech, costs 320€ in Europe, that would be about $425. Not easy to get an affordable case here in Europe.

There are plenty of cheaper options. Not sure how available Norco cases are in Europe but certainly popular with unraid builders.

I use one of these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219021

Unfortunately you do not get this case in Europe, at least not where I live. However, you get a similar case that seems to be a "clone" (Inter-Tech 4U-4320L) . The NORCO RPC-4020 costs $300, that would be about 225€. A comparable housing, like the Inter-Tech, costs 320€ in Europe, that would be about $425. Not easy to get an affordable case here in Europe.

http://www.xcase.co.uk/X-Case-RM-420-Hotswap-4u-p/case-rm420.htm

...in addition to the nice design, what I like with the LimeTech case as well - if I am not mistaken - is that it can house an ATX  sized PSU

From the pics in the galery, I see a seasonic PSU with 120+mm Fan...must be ATX then.

The only case I can find here (in Germany) in 3U form-factor with ATX PSU (at the back side) is the Chenbro 31300

A few years ago I purchased a couple of the Norco cases to consider offering server products built around them.  This was my conclusion: if you are building a one-off server and don't mind lack of quality of components, then go for it - the Norco cases are the cheapest out there.  But there's no way I could offer any kind of warranty using that case, and there's no way I would put that case in the hands of someone who is expecting quality for their money.

I think if you had both cases side-by-side there would be no question whatsoever which has better components and build quality.  Also our case is completely tray-less and probably 1/10'th the noise of that Norco.  Yes you get twice as many drive bays with the Norco case you cite, and in the end, if you need 20 drives, you need 20 drives.

I am looking for cheaper options for shipment, not for a different case. ;D

Did you see this: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28676.0

Yes, I did.

But this is just a small deduction on the quote for shipment to Europe.

Note that I'll have to pay customs and VAT for the amount of the total bill....this just does not make sense economically.

Send me an email  [email protected]  and tell me what country you need it shipped to and we'll see if we can figure out a way to get one in your hands.

I can personally vouch for trying to find quality products at a low price with building computers for fellow foster care providers so they can stream their foster kitten cams on Livestream. It's a pain in the ass. I reviewed dozens of products in every category, looking for parts that had mostly good feedback and didn't have a lot of feedback on DOA or soon-died parts. In the end, I could have saved $350 off the total price if I didn't care about quality but I couldn't in good faith do that.

It boils down to - you get what you pay for. You want quality - you have to pay for it.

How is the air flow with these D-316M cases? Do hard drives get sufficient cooling when there are 5 - 10 hard drives installed and running? Overall I like the look of these. They are pricy but I understand you usually get what you pay for. I don't mind spending more if they are in fact much higher quality.

How is the air flow with these D-316M cases? Do hard drives get sufficient cooling when there are 5 - 10 hard drives installed and running? Overall I like the look of these. They are pricy but I understand you usually get what you pay for. I don't mind spending more if they are in fact much higher quality.

Tom is a smart guy, i'm sure he did some QA/QC on these, specifically with HDD temps considering the important of these devices for UNRaid

• 3 weeks later...

So I am not sure if I am missing something or not.

D-316M comes with 10 3.5" bays. However, Plus key supports 7 drives while Pro key supports 24. So If I buy a Plus key with this case, I am going to be wasting 3 bays (2 if I use a cache drive). If I buy a Pro keys, then I can use all 10 bays but I am wasting 14 HDD capability.

Are you guys planning on either:

• Offering a 10 drive key?
  • Ability to use 2 cases in a "cascade" setup and be use to use the Pro key?

If not, then I do not see the pros with this case. What am I missing?

what happens when you get the optional 3.5 -> 2x 2.5" drive bay adapters to get 10x 3.5 slots and 4x 2.5 sots, (14x slots in total!).

You buy a pro license.

Yes, but the OP concerns still ring true.

Plus = 6

Pro = 24

10 or 14 are still more than 6, but significantly less than 24. A huge gap and waste of 14-10 drive slots.

what happens when you get the optional 3.5 -> 2x 2.5" drive bay adapters to get 10x 3.5 slots and 4x 2.5 sots, (14x slots in total!).

You buy a pro license.

Plus = 6

Pro = 24

10 or 14 are still more than 6, but significantly less than 24. A huge gap and waste of 14-10 drive slots.

Would it make you feel better if the Pro license was restricted to 14 slots, and a new Ultimate license level was introduced with no drive restrictions other than what the software could currently support? If so, how much more would you be willing to pay for this Ultimate license? In the past, the Pro license has expanded slots, without changing how much it costs. Perhaps that was a bad business decision?

You buy a pro license.

Plus = 6

Pro = 24

Would it make you feel better if the Pro license was restricted to 14 slots, and a new Ultimate license level was introduced with no drive restrictions other than what the software could currently support? If so, how much more would you be willing to pay for this Ultimate license? In the past, the Pro license has expanded slots, without changing how much it costs. Perhaps that was a bad business decision?

Was never upset with it at all, merely pointing it out as this was brought up.

I have a plus license myself and haven't used all the drive slots yet.