Rebuilt failed disk - now 50% of drives show as unformatted

Yesterday I had to rebuild a failed drive. Nothing unusual happened during this process, everything worked as it was supposed to. Now 50% of my drives are showing as unformatted (no blue dots though). The syslog is showing all sorts of REISERFS warnings like this:

REISERFS warning (device md22): sh-2021 reiserfs_fill_super: can not find reiserfs on md22

Jul 23 06:40:47 Tower emhttp: shcmd (117): set -o pipefail ; mount -t reiserfs -o user_xattr,acl,noatime,nodiratime /dev/md23 /mnt/disk23 |& logger

Jul 23 06:40:47 Tower logger: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md23,

Jul 23 06:40:47 Tower logger:        missing codepage or helper program, or other error

Jul 23 06:40:47 Tower logger:        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

Jul 23 06:40:47 Tower logger:        dmesg | tail  or so

I've followed the instructions on this page: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Check_Disk_Filesystems and am told that no superblock is found and to run with the --rebuild-sb option. Obviously this is pretty drastic so I'm waiting on some advice.

I also checked the USB drive and found all sorts of errors and missing files. Using a backup I made that good again but the situation remains the same on the server.

I've got no idea what happened or how to fix it. At this stage I've done nothing other than a reiserfsck check (it wouldn't run) on a drive and repair the USB drive.

WTF.jpg

log.zip

Seek help from Tom at lime-tech.  ( [email protected] )

Odds are your USB corruption included the config/super.dat file, and that your newly created super.dat file is pointing to the wrong sectors on the disks to find the file-system.

DO NOT FORMAT ANY DISK.  DO NOT RUN the fix-sb reiserfsck command unless you are absolutely certain which sector the superblock is supposed to be on, AND have corrected the partitioning in the MBR on the disks, and also know the correct answers to the prompts you will need to answer. (the correct answers are not all the defaults)

You could easily lose lots of data if you make the wrong move here.    DO NOT run a parity check. (it would clobber your parity if the disks partitioning are pointing to the wrong sectors)

Get Tom involved...  Be prepared to assist with the results of the following commands for any disk showing as "unformatted"  (it simply means it could not be mounted, as the file-system is not where it thinks it might be)

fdisk -lu /dev/sdX

and

dd if=/dev/sdX count=195 | od -c -A d |  sed  30q

for each of your drives.

see this thread for a similar situation as yours

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15791.0

Joe L.