My New Build using Supermicro Server from TAMs

Well I would love to report good new, but just like you I am unable to get yet another hyper adviser to work with this motherboard. I have tried ESXi (cant pass through the raid cards), I have tried XEN which is why I am on this thread, and now I cant get the network working for unraid in hyper-v. All I want is a virtual unraid without having to spend more money. :(

Good news is Unraid works great if that's all you want to do with this server. I just hate knowing I have a dual processor motherboard that is not being used to its full potential

you telling me :-)

I have jump on the wagon head first with this.

I got 2 six cores in, and 40GB of RAM (soon to be 56GB)

before I even realized that I had a problem.

so are you saying that I am out of luck with Xen too?

if so , I might have to just jump to Hyper-V with storage spaces for now.

I have too much money invested into this hardware to dump it and go for new setup. with all issues of passthrough set aside , it's a very powerful setup that would do wonders for VM server if you stick with Xen or Hyper-V on it.

ESXi is somewhat limited in free edition to take advantage of all the power of the hardware have.

PS>> untill I have confirmed my self, I still try the Xen setup to work.

I am a bit wary of going with MS for licensing and I read a lot of issues regarding management of the free Hyper-v setup if you  at least do not have Windows 8 on hand.

I gave up on XENServer as soon as you started working with ddeads and realized that the motherboard would not support what you wanted. So if you get it work PLEASE let me know. As for Hyper-v 2012 its possible to get limited control by using the windows 7 hyper-v adviser, windows 8 would be better. What I did was installed hyper-v then installed windows 8 the RTM release in virtualbox on my main pc which is good for like 180 days or something, so that I could manage it easier. It is also very easy to do everything from command line and a quick google search can usually get you everything you need to know. I believe the unRAID Hyper-V bzroot and bzimage from ddeeds would fix my network issue but as of yet I have not heard from him.

I gave up on XENServer as soon as you started working with ddeads and realized that the motherboard would not support what you wanted. So if you get it work PLEASE let me know. As for Hyper-v 2012 its possible to get limited control by using the windows 7 hyper-v adviser, windows 8 would be better. What I did was installed hyper-v then installed windows 8 the RTM release in virtualbox on my main pc which is good for like 180 days or something, so that I could manage it easier. It is also very easy to do everything from command line and a quick google search can usually get you everything you need to know. I believe the unRAID Hyper-V bzroot and bzimage from ddeeds would fix my network issue but as of yet I have not heard from him.

I gave up on XenServer, but I want to see if I can get Xen on Ubuntu working.

XenServer comes with Xen 4.1 as of now, I want to see if maybe 4.2 would have better support.

I do have a question for you though, if you a running Hyper-v  why don't you want to go with Storage Spaces in stead of UnRaid?

as this is my next step would be if all my efforts failed with make unraid in VM work.

I am currently running the free hyper-v core version of sever 2012 which does not have the storage space option, at least not that I know of. I do have a Windows standard 2012 license I got through school but its only good for a year and I want this to be a set it up and forget it setup, not something I will have to revisit a year from now. How is the 4.2 Xen coming along?

How is the 4.2 Xen coming along?

not sure yet, I have been having issues with configuring network,

after the Xen install I would loose the web connectivity.

I think I figured out what was my issue (USER ERROR :-) ) , but I did not have time to try the different config options yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok for anyone still interested in pci passing through on amd based server from TAMs. If you did not follow the other theads, I am happy to report that it posible. My setup is on ubuntu 12.04 server and xen 4.2

So far, ubuntu 13.04 with xen 4.3 does not work but that could be something silly that I am overlooking.  I will post more details later but if follow thw guaid from ddeeds posts on uraid and ubuntu xen that all it took

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

Ok for anyone still interested in pci passing through on amd based server from TAMs. If you did not follow the other theads, I am happy to report that it posible.

I wonder if the original stock single processor, dual core version as delivered by Tams would have worked??  I know it would be slower....

Ok for anyone still interested in pci passing through on amd based server from TAMs. If you did not follow the other theads, I am happy to report that it posible.

I wonder if the original stock single processor, dual core version as delivered by Tams would have worked??  I know it would be slower....

I can not answer that as  I got the quad core version to begin with.

but as far as I understand most (not too old) AMD CPUs support virtualization.

so I think it would have.

if you know the proc. version you can search AMD wiki for it.

also there is some issues with passing USB controller into VM, but I think that if you setup VM via GUI first. and attach the proper usb flash device instead of passing through whole controller it would work.

I don't have GUI VM manager yet.

I  have 2 of the following systems:

Opteron Dual Core 2212HE @ 2.0GHz

Yours was

Opteron Quad Core 2346HE @ 1.8GHz

What you ended up getting to work was:

Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz

I also have 3 of the Tam systems with Intel Xeon 5130 in them.  I am watching to see how far these can be pushed, either stock, or with minimal mods.  I know that if I completely gut the MB, CPU, RAM, PSU, RAID cards and fully replace, we can get it all to work, but that only saves the case.

I'll await your further results before diving in.... 

well first of all for AMD

check your PCB version of MB and SAS cards

if they are like mine, the MB should be version 2.0 or 2.1

and SAS cards should be version 3.x

get the BIOS update from SM and flash the BIOS to 3.5

you can doit with  usb stick. just set the bios to force emulate Flopy

or get the stick less than 530Mb in size.

this bios will auto emulate floppy if the size is less than 530MB and default to HDD if it is more.

once you done that.

check the BIOS in 2 places.

1. advanced--> north bridge there is an IOMMU option there , set it to 128MB

2. Advanced --> CPU there is an (secure virtual machine mode)SVM setting

turn it on. it is off by default.(make sure it is on for both CPUs if you use more than one.)

I got this after some trial and error :-)

also I was only able to make this work on ubuntu server 12.04 and xen 4.2

13.04+ xen 4.3  did not work

as well as xenserver and eSXi.  and yes  I have tried it again after I got it to work with ubuntu+xen setup.

I  have 2 of the following systems:

Opteron Dual Core 2212HE @ 2.0GHz

Yours was

Opteron Quad Core 2346HE @ 1.8GHz

What you ended up getting to work was:

Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz

I also have 3 of the Tam systems with Intel Xeon 5130 in them.  I am watching to see how far these can be pushed, either stock, or with minimal mods.  I know that if I completely gut the MB, CPU, RAM, PSU, RAID cards and fully replace, we can get it all to work, but that only saves the case.

I'll await your further results before diving in....  There are many of us who have these Tam systems and will benefit from your pioneering.  Thanks for posting...

• 4 months later...

OK so after reformatting Windows shows the 2.72 TB drive but when I delete Volume to create RAID set up it goes back to 2TB. My BIOS at boot also shows it as 2TB :( and so does any other application "EaseUS Partition" etc.. not sure if I need to flash the BIOS again? the version of the bios is at 1.0b