Dell Perc H310 flashed w/IT firmware causes Z77 system to just beep [Solved]

I purchased a pair of Dell h310's for my primary and backup home media servers.

I flashed both of them with IT firmware from Dell on my Asus  A8N-SLI board successfully.

One of them went into an x16 slot of the backup which is based on an eVGA 680i LT mobo. It works fine.

The other is going into my primary server which is based on a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard. When installed in either x16 slot and powered on, the system just beeps. The previous card is was a SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 and was working fine in this board. I have tried reflashing this card with and without both the DOS and UEFI BIOS code. The card does the same thing in either x16 slot. I just get a series of beeps and the system powers down and back up again and continues to beep.

Any ideas anyone?

I flashed both of them with IT firmware from Dell on my Asus  A8N-SLI board successfully.

One of them went into an x16 slot of the backup which is based on an eVGA 680i LT mobo. It works fine.

The other is going into my primary server which is based on a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard. When installed in either x16 slot and powered on, the system just beeps. The previous card is was a SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 and was working fine in this board. I have tried reflashing this card with and without both the DOS and UEFI BIOS code. The card does the same thing in either x16 slot. I just get a series of beeps and the system powers down and back up again and continues to beep.

Any ideas anyone?

Anyone at all?

Any ideas anyone?

Anyone at all?

Here is the solution:

I cut a sliver of black 3M electrical tape wide enough to cover signal traces on the card slot edge connector over pins B5 and B6 on one side of the edge connector. I put a bit of crazy glue on the non-gold area at the bottom of the edge connector to help hold the tape in place as the card is inserted and let it dry for a few hours.

I installed the card in the first x16 slot closest to the CPU and also have a supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 in the second x16 slot. I used the latest LSI SAS2008  win2k8 x64 drivers and the card is identified as a "Dell 6gbps SAS HBA" under device manager.

Kudos to this guy:

http://yannickdekoeijer.blogspot.com/2012/04/modding-dell-perc-6-sas-raidcontroller.html

I did not disable on-board video and am using that since this is a media server and not a workstation as well.

• 6 years later...