Status - update

got an odd situation with the new UI ... not sure a log will help either.  Using FF23 after 6h of uptime and the webui open most if not all of it the main page buttons are all greyed out and unusable.  Can't check/uncheck the parity correct box either, nothing.  BUT ... open a new tab and all is well.  I went back to the other "bad" tab, clicked on Utilities and then back to Main and all is back to normal.

Not sure what you can do with that, sorry, but consider it the first notice [shrug] in case anyone else notices the same thing.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

got an odd situation with the new UI ... not sure a log will help either.  Using FF23 after 6h of uptime and the webui open most if not all of it the main page buttons are all greyed out and unusable.  Can't check/uncheck the parity correct box either, nothing.  BUT ... open a new tab and all is well.  I went back to the other "bad" tab, clicked on Utilities and then back to Main and all is back to normal.

Not sure what you can do with that, sorry, but consider it the first notice [shrug] in case anyone else notices the same thing.

Are you running any simpleFeatures plugins (or any other plugins?).

I applaud the efforts on getting 5.0 out the door. But personally I would hate to see a half baked implementation of a plugin manager get tossed in at the last min.

I agree. 

It is FAR to late in the "rc" process to add a "half-baked" implementation of either simple-features and plugin-manager.

Please release 5.0 WITHOUT the package manager/SF skin (which apparently breaks functions in existing SF instals), and then release the package-manager/simple-features plugin as an add-on that can optionally be applied. (it can then be tweaked until it no longer is "half-baked"  (fully baked?))

I applaud the efforts on getting 5.0 out the door. But personally I would hate to see a half baked implementation of a plugin manager get tossed in at the last min.

I agree. 

It is FAR to late in the "rc" process to add a "half-baked" implementation of either simple-features and plugin-manager.

Please release 5.0 WITHOUT the package manager/SF skin (which apparently breaks functions in existing SF instals), and then release the package-manager/simple-features plugin as an add-on that can optionally be applied. (it can then be tweaked until it no longer is "half-baked"  (fully baked?))

+1    Definitely agree.  I was surprised to see this change appear at this late point in the release cycle; and quite frankly am quite satisfied with the stock GUI.    I thought RC16c was VERY close to being "final", with only a few minor issues to be resolved ==>  changing the UI certainly seems to add nothing except higher risk to the stability.

This is only a guess...... but seems reasonable enough to be mostly true.

He (Tom) released the "plugin mgr/simple features" late as an optional package (.plg file) for a reason.  If you are happy with out the extra "features", do not install it.  I have to believe when Final 5.0 comes along, it will be similar (separate .plg file if you want the functionality).  Seems that would suit everyone, right?

I, for one, applaud the efforts of Tom to try to please the masses (yes, I believe the masses want a plugin manager / simplified gui ).

Only one guy's opinion......which everyone is entitled to express.

speedbal

... I believe the masses want a plugin manager / simplified gui ...

I think the #1 thing folks want is a rock-solid, stable NAS.    Many people never even look at the GUI after they've initially configured it (set up shares, etc.) ... except to perhaps occasionally run a parity check (and many don't do that either).

I have no problem with a newer, SF-like GUI, being an OPTIONAL component with v5 => but I hate to see Tom's energy being expended on this before he completes v5.0

I agree. 

+1    Definitely agree.  I was surprised to see this change appear at this late point in the release cycle; and quite frankly am quite satisfied with the stock GUI.    I thought RC16c was VERY close to being "final", with only a few minor issues to be resolved ==>  changing the UI certainly seems to add nothing except higher risk to the stability.

Also +1 that, with all respect to speeding_ant work, think it's crazy to do such changes on an rc... at this point... after 5.0 being polished for... 2 years? ok, only gui changes... still we can't say for sure that nothing can eventually get broken, even "cosmetically" talking, mainly doing it at rush. And imo it's strange ppl waiting something to go final as-is for 2 years and then suddenly release a different thing...

I do like Joe L. idea to release new gui as separate (still official) plugin, for now, it will please all users (the ones that want it and the ones that don't want it) and even give speeding_ant more liberty to work on it, polish it, update it, with more time, etc. If later Tom wants to integrate it on stock, think on it for 5.1 or so... don't see why it needs to be on 5.0?

I understand you may want a shiny gui to sell, maybe mainly on complete servers or pens fully ready for end user that is not an expert, if that is the case you can just integrate the separate plugin as default for these, if user doesn't want it or something.. then just needs to delete a plg file and reboot anyway.

Now that I think about it, I agree with going 5.0 final without the new GUI.

You could then start the 5.1 beta/RC process with the new GUI and package manager. If these are almost ready, there's no reason we can't have a fairly quick 5.1 final release. If they take more time, then so be it. 

There's no reason we can't have more frequent finalized updates! :)

I think the #1 thing folks want is a rock-solid, stable NAS.    Many people never even look at the GUI after they've initially configured it (set up shares, etc.) ... except to perhaps occasionally run a parity check (and many don't do that either).

I have no problem with a newer, SF-like GUI, being an OPTIONAL component with v5 => but I hate to see Tom's energy being expended on this before he completes v5.0

I'd prefer unraid to be financially viable for Tom so he keeps developing it.  If a new modern GUI attracts more sales then I'm all for him getting it in as soon as he feels he can.

I agree.  Please release 5.0 WITHOUT the package manager/SF skin (which apparently breaks functions in existing SF instals)

+1    Definitely agree.  I was surprised to see this change appear at this late point in the release cycle; and quite frankly am quite satisfied with the stock GUI.

Also +1 that, with all respect to speeding_ant work, think it's crazy to do such changes on an rc.  I do like Joe L. idea to release new gui as separate (still official) plugin

Also +1 that, there are far more important things than the GUI.

Far more important to who?  Others may not share your guys' prioritization.  Some are satisfied with the traditional GUI, many are not.

Personally, I don't have a horse in this race.  I only hope to see unraid progress one way or another.  I was anxious to see 5 final only because a few extras I like and use were waiting on it before they continued their own development/progress.  Personally I don't care whether it's called 5 final or 5rc123.  I just want unRAID to continue to develop and be a stable, modern, top flight NAS solution.

I'd prefer unraid to be financially viable for Tom so he keeps developing it.  If a new modern GUI attracts more sales then I'm all for him getting it in as soon as he feels he can.

I think this is what most are missing.  Tom#2 is pointing Tom#1 towards markets that he hasn't hit yet, and we just need to be patient and let it work out.

Its great to see the progress, and if we need another few days, weeks or months, I say let it be....

You need to keep in mind that servers have already been sold with 5 final.......   

You need to keep in mind that servers have already been sold with 5 final....... 

Have they been sold me delivered or just pre-ordered ?

I'm not aware of any statement from Tom saying 5 final has gone RTM

Have they been sold me delivered or just pre-ordered ?

I'm not aware of any statement from Tom saying 5 final has gone RTM

unless I am mistaken they were advertised as shipping with 5 final at a date that has long past and payment was being taken....

Are you running any simpleFeatures plugins (or any other plugins?).

Simple Features, no

apcupsd 3.14.3 (3.14.10 causes log screen return to top on scroll bug)

openssh_overbyrn.plg

screen-4.0.3-i468-1atv.plg

PlexMediaServer-0.9.7.28.33-f80a4a2-unRAID.txz

powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz

Yes I realize it is not ideal for me to be running plugins for troubleshooting, but this was an odd occurrence that I wasn't even sure it would happen again or what the proximate cause was. I figured it was worth noting in case someone else has it so at least we can record a pattern.

+1 to this.

lets be honest here. The folks on this forum likely already bought unraid and are not going to be buying much more.

If Tom wants his business to grow he needs to continually attract NEW users. New users will be comparing various NAS solutions and (its been a few years for me) but I believe unRAID had the most "amateur" looking GUI. Not to say the product was amateur, just the GUI was left relatively old looking, which in today's tech world translates into amateur looking. The initial impression of amateurish look might prompt potential new customers to just delete it and move on.

This new GUI will certainly change that thinking and might keep potential users more interested past the install, look, delete path.

the new GUI and plugin manager are a plugin. you dont like them, dont install them.

the new GUI and plugin manager are a plugin. you dont like them, dont install them.

Exactly, but I guess most comments from users (me included) opposing to new gui being added on last minute to 5.0 suppose that new gui may not be a plugin for final (i.e. being a plugin only now for testing), and no old gui may exist or be supported at all anymore, as I don't see Tom maintaining two gui's, would be no sense.

Also the comments are not exactly against new design but against adding it last minute to 5.0, a version that was being polished for 2 years now, rc's are supposed to fix bugs only. Releasing it as-is and separate official plugin for now as Joe L. purposed would be an wise thing IMO, still screenshots and market things may be done with plugin installed, and even preinstall it on complete servers and ready to go pens. Later on 5.1 think on merge them as stock and eventually discontinue old gui.

I don't see a reason to need to madly add all features on 5.0, supposing that it will not be last unraid version, 5.1, 5.2, etc will come, and doesn't necessarily need to take years for that.

I don't see a reason to need to madly add all features on 5.0, supposing that it will not be last unraid version, 5.1, 5.2, etc will come, and doesn't necessarily need to take years for that.

nars, I agree with your posts.  Only your supposition made me laugh.  Suppose Tom plans to disappear again for a few years.  I see that you're new here. :)

nars, I agree with your posts.  Only your supposition made me laugh.  Suppose Tom plans to disappear again for a few years.  I see that you're new here. :)

Yes, I'm a bit new here, 1 year, but "did the homework" and did read a lot over the forum before starting to post, then it's like I have been there for more time but got it on a concentrated way ;D

+1 to this.

lets be honest here. The folks on this forum likely already bought unraid and are not going to be buying much more.

If Tom wants his business to grow he needs to continually attract NEW users. New users will be comparing various NAS solutions and (its been a few years for me) but I believe unRAID had the most "amateur" looking GUI. Not to say the product was amateur, just the GUI was left relatively old looking, which in today's tech world translates into amateur looking. The initial impression of amateurish look might prompt potential new customers to just delete it and move on.

This new GUI will certainly change that thinking and might keep potential users more interested past the install, look, delete path.

We all agree that unraid's ui could use a bit more polish. We all agree that unraid needs a plugin manager. There is no question about this.

Releasing unraid 5.0 without an updated ui could turn some people off sure.. but releasing 5.0 with a broken ui would probably do more harm than good. Have you ever gone to your favorite website and they did a redesign and lots of stuff doesn't work right? and in the instance of the plugin manager.. this could be a huge thing that goes sour quickly if it doesn't work well. Developers wouldn't want to waste their time / getting negative responses / stability issues / etc. Being cautious is all I ask for. I'm part of several projects and the biggest thing that keeps biting everyone in the butt is some of the most basic framework/back-end decisions made at an early level... as over the years things have been built on top of it and its quite difficult to undo some of those decisions without starting over from scratch. So, spending some extra time now could save a lot of wasted time later.

Unraid 5.0 is going to sell.. there are plenty of new features and support in it over 4.x. Lots of people will upgrade.. some wont because it still works or got burned by how long it took 5.x to come out. I personally got bit by the addition of network bonding being added so recent to 5.x that when I built my system (only a few months ago) I didn't know that I should have gotten a motherboard with dual nics. I would have loved to see a 'road map' and where Tom was on it.. so I could have made a smarter decision.

Tom, is there any plans of including the pretty much 'defacto' pre-clearing script in 5.0 final?

There are plenty of things that should be in 5.x to bring it to parity with the other similar software out there.. this really needs its own thread. Anyways, I'll save that debate for another day.