Status - update

It's a few years old and likely has an error margin but eh, take it as you will. I would also assume that as the younger generation gets older, the numbers will drop.

If that statistic was true, that would mean that about 850 members of this forum are browsing here without Javascript.  What is your point?  Cut them off?  Some people have very low patience for web pages that take forever to display, and that require tons of memory, not to mention crap like cross-site scripting, tracking, popups, and so forth.  It has occured to some people that they can set up a system which is not so easy to infect, and which does not crash and burn four times a week.  It's a revolutionary thought, I know, but computers can be used for things other than just reinstalling the os over and over again.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a revolutionary thought, I know, but computers can be used for things other than just reinstalling the os over and over again.

Correct, that's why I use a Mac (hackintosh actually). If you have to reinstall your OS because you browse websites, your operating system is rubbish. Linux as a desktop OS is just as secure if you do things right...

Some good discussion in this thread but it's starting to degenerate so I'm going to freeze it here.

Re: javascript-enabled webGui - well yes it is. Some minimal javascript has always been required for proper operation of certain parts of the webGui, for example, in adding a new user share, and there are other places. Do we absolutely need jquery and associated plugins? Probably not but to enhance the user experience and to implement certain current and future functionality, it will be necessary.

Re: plugin manager. Yes it's a work in process - really a proof of concept. Yes I know about the security vulnerabilities, which is one reason I've held off making an "official" plugin manager. Is the wiki the best consolidation point for listing all community-written plugins? Maybe, maybe not. That particular page can be easily locked down so that only certain people can modify it.

Ok, well lots more to talk about.  Look for a couple more topics in the next few minutes.