Please help! Disabled Disk

I was running a parity check today and before it finished i found that it took a crap and stopped abruptly, disabling disk2. Can someone please check attached syslog?

i am in the process of changing out the SATA cable now and will update with SMART report...

some background if it helps:

feb 2013 - drive in disk2 went bad, was able to add it back to the array by unassigning, rebooting and assigning again

apr 26 2013 - disk2 failed again, replaced drive with a new one and rebuilt.. parity was good (link)

aug 01 2013 - power outage.. errors in back to back parity checks... ran memtest overnight, all clear.. was testing drives and put everything back together and was getting clean parity checks all around (3 back to back checks) (link)

today.. during another parity check today, disk2 took a poop. i did notice that the parity check was taking longer than normal. swapped sata cable out for another one

syslog-2013-08-09.zip

Statistics for /dev/sdg WDC_WD20EARX-00PASB0_WD-WCAZAL574391
smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sdg
smartctl 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0
Serial Number:    WD-WCAZAL574391
Firmware Version: 51.0AB51
User Capacity:    2,000,398,934,016 bytes
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is:    Fri Aug  9 01:52:08 2013 EDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x82)	Offline data collection activity
				was completed without error.
				Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0)	The previous self-test routine completed
				without error or no self-test has ever 
				been run.
Total time to complete Offline 
data collection: 		 (37800) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: 			 (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
				Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
				Suspend Offline collection upon new
				command.
				Offline surface scan supported.
				Self-test supported.
				Conveyance Self-test supported.
				Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)	Saves SMART data before entering
				power-saving mode.
				Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01)	Error logging supported.
				General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine 
recommended polling time: 	 (   2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time: 	 ( 255) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time: 	 (   5) minutes.
SCT capabilities: 	       (0x3035)	SCT Status supported.
				SCT Feature Control supported.
				SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   178   177   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       6091
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       300
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   097   097   000    Old_age   Always       -       2483
10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       21
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       7
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       2777
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   115   112   000    Old_age   Always       -       35
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

in the syslog it says:

Aug  9 01:10:53 Tower kernel: ata3: SError: { RecovData RecovComm UnrecovData Persist Proto HostInt PHYRdyChg PHYInt CommWake 10B8B Dispar BadCRC Handshk LinkSeq TrStaTrns UnrecFIS DevExch }

does not look good at all. every error under the sun  :'( but the SMART looks okay right? don't have much experience decyphering those but I do not see anything that stands out..

For now I swapped the SATA cable and turned on to get SMART report.. i tried unassigning the disk but decided to not go any further until i am able to get some assistance. at this point i stopped the array and powered off.

I'm not sure if I should do Trust My Array or not. It failed DURING the last parity check (showing errors). but the previous parity check that i completed was good.. 0 errors.

i'm assuming since the last parity check failed and i was showing something like 245 errors that the parity is BAD and i should not rebuild the drive.

i was thinking of doing new config and reassigning my drives again and rebuild parity based on that?

i'm confused if i should trust the parity or trust my disk.. the failure occured DURING a parity check so i'm not sure if maybe i'm screwed either way?

i've decided to do a new config via the utils menu and and assign my drives to original config and rebuild parity. i didn't think my parity was good due to failing during the last check, and also my parity wasn't 100% in working order due to the power outage a few days ago.

i believe this is the right thing to do because i had does this previously with a couple drives at a time rebuilding parity every time to check which drive was bad. i have (hopefully) corrected that issue by swapping out the sata cable.

and i believe if this is the wrong way to go about it there's no way to back out now, lol. there's nothing on my server i won't be able to get again, although it will take me some time.

wish me luck