NewEgg - Western Digital RED 3 TB - With promo code

Good deal, but I don't trust NewEgg's packaging.  Look at the reviews for this drive at NewEgg vs Amazon, who double boxes its shipments.

I've got 3 drives enroute from Amazon -- I agree they package their drives VERY well.    Last month I ordered 7 drives from Newegg (3TB WD Reds and 4TB Seagate NAS units).  This is the box they arrived in !!

Newegg_Box_with_4TB_Drives_-_2.jpg.8cf7c07be08c40e80eaecb603d88084e.jpg

My disks from Newegg are always wrapped in the large size bubble wrap. About 2-3 times around each disk independently, then those are placed into a larger box full of packing peanuts. Like this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/DJS3/PIC-0144.jpg

Obviously, sending the disks in their original plastic isolators and another separate box is best, but the bubble wrap+peanuts is pretty close.

I have had my disks arrive in varying types of packaging from neweggs. In some instances they are in foam carriers wrapped in bubble wrap. Other times double boxed. Really I never know how they will arrive. But I have had 5 DOA drives from them in the past and each of those drives arrived with boxes intact and additional drives with them. The additional drives were just fine. So I don't know that it is always neweggs packaging but who knows maybe it is. Either way this was an awesome price. Got my two drives for 245 total. Best price I have paid so far.

The drives in that severely damaged box were actually packed well.    They were in 1/2 of a Styrofoam drive container which was thoroughly wrapped with bubble wrap.  The problem was that this whole "assembly" was FAR smaller than the box they put it in -- and there was essentially nothing in the box to keep it in place ... i.e. no packing peanuts to fill up the box.  There was a bit of crumpled brown paper that had apparently put in the box first, but this didn't come close to filling the box;  so the drive "package" was clearly bounced around a LOT (and hard) as the box was in shipment and being nearly demolished by other packages hitting it.

I think it was fairly lucky that 4 of the 7 drives were completely fine -- passed both a pre-clear pass (actually 3 of them ... I usually only do 2, but in this case was a bit more thorough) and the manufacturer's diagnostics with no errors.

It's exactly what I don't like about Newegg....They are extremely inconsistent with regards to hard drive packaging. With regards to differences of warehouses' policies about packaging and shipping, it seems that not all of them are on the same page with regards to what is considered normal with shipping obviously fragile items...And the fact UPS enjoys kicking packages like a soccer ball doesn't help....

Be sure you get into your order details and report the "packaging" they did. Maybe the FCs will start doing a better job on items like this.

Reporting this to Amazon was the first thing I did.

Pillow-packs deflate far too often.    I much prefer Styrofoam peanuts !!

... but unfortunately we don't get any say on how the drives are packaged.

I thought amazon usually had these plastic carriers they used, or am I remembering wrong?

harddrive_shipping_goodbox.jpg

Be sure you get into your order details and report the "packaging" they did. Maybe the FCs will start doing a better job on items like this.

Reporting this to Amazon was the first thing I did.

Pillow-packs deflate far too often.    I much prefer Styrofoam peanuts !!

... but unfortunately we don't get any say on how the drives are packaged.

I thought amazon usually had these plastic carriers they used, or am I remembering wrong?

harddrive_shipping_goodbox.jpg

I got many drives packed that way from Newegg and some from Amazon.  But by far the largest total was without.

I had a similar experience to TripKnot a couple months back with an order from amazon. OTOH, I have a closet with ~20 OEM disk boxes with isolators that show a different experience can be had.

For me, newegg always packs bare disks in their anti-static bag, wrapped in bubble wrap, then set inside a box full of packing peanuts. Amazon usually ships an OEM box, placed inside another box.

For me, newegg always packs bare disks in their anti-static bag, wrapped in bubble wrap, then set inside a box full of packing peanuts.

I've had many drives arrive like that from Newegg ... but not always.    Have a look at the box I got last month with 7 drives worth over $1300 inside it  [i should have taken a picture of the interior ... it had a bubble-wrapped bundle with virtually NO additional packing around it (a bit of crushed brown paper) => so the bundle of drives simply bounced all around the box during transit while the box was being crushed.  The outside of the box is shown in Reply #7 in this thread.

Are those poorly packed drives from "Amazon" actually from Amazon, or from a reseller on Amazon? 

I ask because I have been buying from Amazon rather than Newegg because Amazon always ships drives to me in an OEM-type box with plastic carriers inside of another box with air bags.  Maybe I've been lucky, but Amazon packaging has been 100% in the last few years for me.

Are those poorly packed drives from "Amazon" actually from Amazon, or from a reseller on Amazon? 

I ask because I have been buying from Amazon rather than Newegg because Amazon always ships drives to me in an OEM-type box with plastic carriers inside of another box with air bags.  Maybe I've been lucky, but Amazon packaging has been 100% in the last few years for me.

You're right, I just checked and it was a reseller whereas all my previous drives had been Amazon direct.  I usually am better about checking for that.  It was Fulfilled by Amazon though and came in Amazon packaging.  Either way my packaging complaint against Amazon is valid.  Whether direct or Fulfilled,  Amazon is responsible and handles customer service / returns.  Source: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=106096011

All Amazon.com standard shipping rates and policies apply to these items

Amazon also handles all customer service and product returns for "Fulfilled by Amazon" items.

Is it possible Amazon has different packing policies for their merchandise vs their Fulfilled merchandise despite stating otherwise?

According to my source, there is no difference in third party vs. amazon as the seller when both shipped by amazon. Literally the same person could package both 3p or amazon sold disks.

The recommendation is to submit packaging feedback on every badly packaged disk. I recommend an extra preclear cycle if the packaging is subpar.