unRAID Server release 4.5-beta1 available

limetech

Download.

To keep the NFS crowd from bursting through the doors with pitchforks and torches, we are releasing 4.5-beta1 simultaneously with 4.4 (final).

This release includes NFS export ability for disk and user shares.  To use this feature, go to the Shares page.  For the disk shares, you will see a new field called "Disk shares (NFS)".  For the user shares you will see the field "Export (NFS)".  In these fields you should enter the NFS client specification string.  If the export string is left blank, then the share will not be exported via NFS.

For example, to export the share to any system, read/write, enter:

*(rw)

To export the share to 192.168.1.10 read-only, and 192.168.1.12 read/write, enter:

192.168.1.10(rw),192.168.1.12(rw)

Notice no white space in there.  Refer to the linux documentation for 'exports', e.g.,

http://linux.die.net/man/5/exports

These 'default' options are set:

async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash

In addition a 'fsid' value is set for each user share.

If there are no shares specified to be exported via NFS, then all the various NFS daemons will not be started.

Please consider NFS support to be experimental.  For example, there has been no performance tuning done whatsoever.  This is why this feature has been put into a beta release.

unRAID Server 4.5-beta1 Release Notes
=====================================

Changes from 4.4 to 4.5-beta1
-----------------------------

New feature:
- Added NFS share export controls.

Bug fix:
- Changed 'pseudo permissions' for the Flash device (hopefully got it right this time).

Changes from 4.4-beta2 to 4.4

New features:
- Added per-disk spindown controls.
- Share 'split-level' may now be a string which marks 'constrained' directories.
- Experimental PAE support (support memory up to 64GB).

Improvements:
- Upgrade to linux kernel 2.6.27.7.
- Upgrade to samba 3.2.3.
- Upgrade to slackware 12.1
- Upgrade memtest86+ to version 2.01.  Note in addition to the ususal upgrade instructions below, you must also copy 'memtest' from this releae to the root of your flash.
- Restore driver logging of disk 'import' messages to allow for better debugging.
- Changed 'pseudo permissions' for the Flash device.
- Get rid of annoying "kernel time sync status change" messages generated by ntpd.

Other:
- Get rid of smbfs, use CIFS instead.
- Auto-generate '/etc/hosts' file to add server's hostname as additional alias for 'localhost'.
- Include 'wins' as last step in tcp hostname resolution.
- Added 'wget' package.

Changes from 4.4-beta1 to 4.4-beta2
-----------------------------------

Improvement: added more spin-down delay settings (15, 30, 45 minutes, 6, 7, 8, 9 hours) and changed method of disk spin-down/spin-up:
- No longer use disk's internal spin-down timer; instead monitor I/O directly.
- A spun down drive will spin-up on demand when it recieves an I/O command (this is unchanged).
- The 'Spin Up' button in the System Management Ultility now uses a SMART command to spin up the disks.

Bug fix: if a drive took longer than 10 seconds to spin up, then a driver timeout error and subsequent SATA channel reset would appear in the system log.
[fix is to increase scsi_execute() timeout (from 10 to 30 sec) in drivers/ata/libata-scsi.c]

Bug fix: the 'Clear Statistics' button will now also clear the Cache Drive statistics.

Bug fix: fixed crash which could occur if multiple disks fail in the same stripe simultaneously.

Improvement: upgrade smartmontools package to version 5.38.

Changes from 4.3.3 to 4.4-beta1
-------------------------------

New feature: support SMP (multi-core processors).

Improvement: read performance enhancements.

Improvement: update to linux kernel 2.6.26.5.

Bug fix: fixed race condition in network initialization which would sometimes result in DHCP failure to get IP address.

Upgrade Instructions (Please Read Carefully)
============================================

If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher (including 4.2.x 'final'), please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot

If you are currently running unRAID server 4.0 or 4.1, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot
    syslinux.cfg
    menu.c32
    memtest

This can be done either by plugging the Flash into your PC or, by copying the files to the 'flash' share on your running server.  The server must then be rebooted.

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:

1. Referring to the System Management Utility 'Main' page, make a note of each disks's model/serial number; you will need this information later.

2. Shut down your server, remove the Flash and plug it into your PC.

3. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Properties.  Make sure the volume label is set to "UNRAID" (without the quotes) and click OK.  You do NOT need to format the Flash.

4. Copy the files from the new release to the root of your Flash device.

5. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Eject.  Remove the Flash, install in your server and power-up.

6. After your server has booted up, the System Management Utility 'Main' page will probably show no devices; this is OK, navigate to the 'Devices' page. Using the model/serial number information gathered in step 1, assign each of your hard drives to the correct disk slot.

7. Go back to the 'Main' page and your devices should appear correctly.  You may now Start the array.

If you are installing this release to a new Flash, please refer to instructions on our website at:

http://www.lime-technology.com/wordpress/?page_id=19

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To keep the NFS crowd from bursting through the doors with pitchforks and torches, we are releasing 4.5-beta1 simultaneously with 4.4 (final).

:D

I've just finished some tests with NFS it works PERFECTLY! Thank you Tom. Now i can play my 1:1 blu-ray images with Tvix without any stuttering. The largest image i played was a 44GB movie with continous bitrate over 40Mbps (peaks on 46Mbps). It played perfectly.

Thank you once again!

Yes, any help from the experts would be very helpful.

I can't seem to get NFS shares to work between Unraid and Windows Vista after about 3 hours of messing with it.  I've done the following:

Executed samba stop in Unraid to be sure I would be using NSF

Added 192.168.1.100(rw) to all of the NSF exports

Installed Services for NFS / Client for NFS on Vista

Installed Subsystem for Unix-based Applications on Vista

When I attempt execute the command  mount 192.168.1.3:/movies w:  I get a Network Error 53 which is Network Path not found.

I've disabled all firewalls on the Vista machine.  Am I missing any critical steps to get this up and running?

the path is actually in your case 192.168.1.3:/mnt/user/movies w:

i found using the ip didn't work as well as going //tower/mnt/user/movies... but even then i still had alot of trouble getting it to mount, and when i did get some stuff to mount, i'd open it up but then it wouldn't let me into any of the folders inside... i got the shits after a few hours and uninstalled all the unix/nfs suport :P.. thought i'd wait for others to work it all out and fine tune it

Yes, any help from the experts would be very helpful.

I can't seem to get NFS shares to work between Unraid and Windows Vista after about 3 hours of messing with it.  I've done the following:

Executed samba stop in Unraid to be sure I would be using NSF

Added 192.168.1.100(rw) to all of the NSF exports

Installed Services for NFS / Client for NFS on Vista

Installed Subsystem for Unix-based Applications on Vista

When I attempt execute the command  mount 192.168.1.3:/movies w:  I get a Network Error 53 which is Network Path not found.

I've disabled all firewalls on the Vista machine.  Am I missing any critical steps to get this up and running?

the path is actually in your case 192.168.1.3:/mnt/user/movies w:

i found using the ip didn't work as well as going //tower/mnt/user/movies... but even then i still had alot of trouble getting it to mount, and when i did get some stuff to mount, i'd open it up but then it wouldn't let me into any of the folders inside... i got the shits after a few hours and uninstalled all the unix/nfs suport :P.. thought i'd wait for others to work it all out and fine tune it

I was able to map the shares using this method, however I am also unable to access the files in the share.  Apparently SUA in Vista doesn't have the User Name Mapping feature and the only way to get this functionality is by having a server present on the network that is running Active Directory.

I was however able to change the permissions on the share, then a single folder and then a single file by giving Owner Group and Other all RWX access.  The problem is I have over 6500 files and I am not going to do this individually.

Is there any way to give full access to Owner Group and Other to all files in a share at once?  I'm not really concerned with the security implications of this.  I just want to be able to access all my files without having to set up another server running User Name Mapping.

Is there any way to give full access to Owner Group and Other to all files in a share at once?  I'm not really concerned with the security implications of this.  I just want to be able to access all my files without having to set up another server running User Name Mapping.

If you look at the file '/etc/exports' we set these default options (among others):

anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash

The intent here is to make all requests appear as though they come from root, because all the files & directories in unraid shares are created as user 'root'.  We did not test using Vista, only the "Windows services for Unix" package on XP, which appears to not have that great of a NFS client, but does appear to work.  I'll retest all this under Vista, you should not have to change the Group & World permissions to get this to working.

I messed with the gid and uid settings a bit but its a bit over my head at the moment and couldn't get it to function correctly.

As a temp solution I went ahead and set all the permissions to the files to 777 and that did the trick.  Everything is working perfectly now. 

i have a problem, but dont know what is causing it. ive just upgraded to 4.5 to utilise nfs. i've got 3 mac osx (10.5) boxes all connected to my unraid server via nfs, all using a media center called plex (www.plexapp.com). before i play a tvshow/movie, the directory listing is correct. after playing, the directory listing only shows the file i've finished playing. i need to go back to the welcome screen of the app to see all the files in the directory again. i've checked the forums of the media center and other people are using NFS shares fine which is what makes me think it's unraid. perhaps its something with the exports of the NFS, i haven't checked that far yet .. (had a few drinks tonight, not safe to drink+play computers)

is anyone else seeing this behaviour?

Download.

This release includes NFS export ability for disk and user shares.  To use this feature, go to the Shares page.  For the disk shares, you will see a new field called "Disk shares (NFS)".  For the user shares you will see the field "Export (NFS)".  In these fields you should enter the NFS client specification string.  If the export string is left blank, then the share will not be exported via NFS.

For example, to export the share to any system, read/write, enter:

*(rw)

To export the share to 192.168.1.10 read-only, and 192.168.1.12 read/write, enter:

192.168.1.10(rw),192.168.1.12(rw)

Notice no white space in there.  Refer to the linux documentation for 'exports', e.g.,

http://linux.die.net/man/5/exports

These 'default' options are set:

async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash

In addition a 'fsid' value is set for each user share.

If there are no shares specified to be exported via NFS, then all the various NFS daemons will not be started.

Please consider NFS support to be experimental.  For example, there has been no performance tuning done whatsoever.  This is why this feature has been put into a beta release.

unRAID Server 4.5-beta1 Release Notes
=====================================

Changes from 4.4 to 4.5-beta1

New feature:
- Added NFS share export controls.

Bug fix:
- Changed 'pseudo permissions' for the Flash device (hopefully got it right this time).

Changes from 4.4-beta2 to 4.4

New features:
- Added per-disk spindown controls.
- Share 'split-level' may now be a string which marks 'constrained' directories.
- Experimental PAE support (support memory up to 64GB).

Improvements:
- Upgrade to linux kernel 2.6.27.7.
- Upgrade to samba 3.2.3.
- Upgrade to slackware 12.1
- Upgrade memtest86+ to version 2.01.  Note in addition to the ususal upgrade instructions below, you must also copy 'memtest' from this releae to the root of your flash.
- Restore driver logging of disk 'import' messages to allow for better debugging.
- Changed 'pseudo permissions' for the Flash device.
- Get rid of annoying "kernel time sync status change" messages generated by ntpd.

Other:
- Get rid of smbfs, use CIFS instead.
- Auto-generate '/etc/hosts' file to add server's hostname as additional alias for 'localhost'.
- Include 'wins' as last step in tcp hostname resolution.
- Added 'wget' package.

Changes from 4.4-beta1 to 4.4-beta2
-----------------------------------

Improvement: added more spin-down delay settings (15, 30, 45 minutes, 6, 7, 8, 9 hours) and changed method of disk spin-down/spin-up:
- No longer use disk's internal spin-down timer; instead monitor I/O directly.
- A spun down drive will spin-up on demand when it recieves an I/O command (this is unchanged).
- The 'Spin Up' button in the System Management Ultility now uses a SMART command to spin up the disks.

Bug fix: if a drive took longer than 10 seconds to spin up, then a driver timeout error and subsequent SATA channel reset would appear in the system log.
[fix is to increase scsi_execute() timeout (from 10 to 30 sec) in drivers/ata/libata-scsi.c]

Bug fix: the 'Clear Statistics' button will now also clear the Cache Drive statistics.

Bug fix: fixed crash which could occur if multiple disks fail in the same stripe simultaneously.

Improvement: upgrade smartmontools package to version 5.38.

Changes from 4.3.3 to 4.4-beta1
-------------------------------

New feature: support SMP (multi-core processors).

Improvement: read performance enhancements.

Improvement: update to linux kernel 2.6.26.5.

Bug fix: fixed race condition in network initialization which would sometimes result in DHCP failure to get IP address.

Upgrade Instructions (Please Read Carefully)
============================================

If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher (including 4.2.x 'final'), please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot

If you are currently running unRAID server 4.0 or 4.1, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot
    syslinux.cfg
    menu.c32
    memtest

This can be done either by plugging the Flash into your PC or, by copying the files to the 'flash' share on your running server.  The server must then be rebooted.

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:

1. Referring to the System Management Utility 'Main' page, make a note of each disks's model/serial number; you will need this information later.

2. Shut down your server, remove the Flash and plug it into your PC.

3. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Properties.  Make sure the volume label is set to "UNRAID" (without the quotes) and click OK.  You do NOT need to format the Flash.

4. Copy the files from the new release to the root of your Flash device.

5. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Eject.  Remove the Flash, install in your server and power-up.

6. After your server has booted up, the System Management Utility 'Main' page will probably show no devices; this is OK, navigate to the 'Devices' page. Using the model/serial number information gathered in step 1, assign each of your hard drives to the correct disk slot.

7. Go back to the 'Main' page and your devices should appear correctly.  You may now Start the array.

If you are installing this release to a new Flash, please refer to instructions on our website at:

http://www.lime-technology.com/wordpress/?page_id=19

Is there a support section to match 4.4 and 4.5 beta?

just a note, OSX users will need to use the following export options:

*(rw,insecure)

otherwise the shares won't mount

And to help other Mac users, to mount the share in Finder do COMMAND-K and then enter the following:

nfs://[tower]/mnt/user/[sharename]

Replace [tower] with your own unRAID server name or IP address, and [sharename] with the name of the share you're mounting.

Now off to test if it fixes my issue with HD playback.

Cheers.

Im a bit unclear why you would need it. I can run 1080p large bitrate mkvs over samba via 2 inline switches and one of them is a $20 fast ethernet only crappy thing.

Im sure it is faster but I just wanted to say that it isnt anything like a requirement, samba works just fine.

This is why I keep insisting that people use actual bitrates, rather than amorphous "HD" or "SD" or "1080p" descriptions of media.  MKVs of HD material are generally transcoded to bitrates 1/4 to 1/10 of the bitrate of the raw VC-1 or MPEG2 source on the original media.  Some HD disks are already compressed to a moderate level H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, and thus already have lower bitrates (although higer level h.264 (level 4.1 and above) have bitrates of 200Mbps to nearly 1 Gbps).

I can take a Blu-Ray, 1080p source, transcode it to H.264, and still retain the 1080p resolution, so it is 1080p HD material, but the bitrate be so low, due to aggressive compression, that it will play without stutter on 10MB Ethernet.  You can also have uncompressed raw SD 480i material that will choke Gigabit Ethernet.

HD disks standard, for example, has multiple profiles... the HL profile spec is a max resolution of 1920x1152, and a bitrate of 80 Mbps.  But Suppose you have a raw source... you'll need up to 3 Gbps to handle it realtime (1080p60)

Clear as mud... eh?

Post your bitrates... then you are comparing apples to apples without ambiguity.

I don't need the Xbox to use NFS, but I would like to try it with Vista x64 and GigE switching to see if my copy speed between Vista and unRAID gets any better.

From what I have read, unRAID either talks NFS OR samba, meaning all devices that attach to it need to use the same protocol.  If I have this wrong and unRAID can appear on the network with BOTH NFS and Samba, then I don't need to worry about NFS and the Xbox ... is the mud clearer?

I don't need the Xbox to use NFS, but I would like to try it with Vista x64 and GigE switching to see if my copy speed between Vista and unRAID gets any better.

From what I have read, unRAID either talks NFS OR samba, meaning all devices that attach to it need to use the same protocol.  If I have this wrong and unRAID can appear on the network with BOTH NFS and Samba, then I don't need to worry about NFS and the Xbox ... is the mud clearer?

I'm fairly certain you can use both protocols at the same time.