unRAID Server Build Check - Is This Overkill?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sandy Bridge CPUs are from two generations (Sandy Bridge -> Ivy Bridge -> Haswell) before the current generation Haswell architecture. You want the Ivy Bridge based Pentium G2120 (since there are no Haswell based Pentium chips on the market yet).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116777

I think the issue here is that with the MB selected you need CPU with graphics on board, the one you sugest does not seam to have that option

Almost all desktop class Intel chips have an integrated GPU, the one I listed included. Unless you know for sure, don't speculate. A simple Google search of the model number would have returned Intel's spec site that shows it has an integrated GPU.

http://ark.intel.com/products/65527/

Living Legend, 2 things. First, what I meant about the PSU was that you should pick a better line of Corsair. Nothing wrong with Corsair but don't use the builders grade PSU. They are cheap for a reason. Go with one of the higher grade units. I personally like the HX series and have had really good results with them. Second, the G2020 is what I run in my big server no problems with it. It works perfectly for me. The only downside is that I can't use it for Plex, but I don't mind because I don't use Plex with that server. Otherwise great inexpensive chip.

Have you considered the SuperMicro X9SCM - F and an M1015? This has been a really winning combination for many users, myself included. It is a bit more pricey but it does come with built in IPMI which is great for remote administration.

Living Legend, 2 things. First, what I meant about the PSU was that you should pick a better line of Corsair. Nothing wrong with Corsair but don't use the builders grade PSU. They are cheap for a reason. Go with one of the higher grade units. I personally like the HX series and have had really good results with them. Second, the G2020 is what I run in my big server no problems with it. It works perfectly for me. The only downside is that I can't use it for Plex, but I don't mind because I don't use Plex with that server. Otherwise great inexpensive chip.

Have you considered the SuperMicro X9SCM - F and an M1015? This has been a really winning combination for many users, myself included. It is a bit more pricey but it does come with built in IPMI which is great for remote administration.

What's the problem using this for Plex?  I thought a dual core Intel would suffice?

I've heard of the SuperMicros, but not much on the M1015.  How do those work?

There's a video of an unRAID server build on youtube where she uses a SuperMicros X95CL and an Corsair HX series PSU.  It's quite a unique video because you have an attractive lady all dolled up rather than your stereotypical geek dude.  She seems to know what she's talking about though!  Some random cats roaming around too, haha:

What problem do you have with it with Plex? That chip should have no problem transcoding 1 or 2 streams of HD video.

...not sure if I read your final setup correct....some remarks though:

- you'll need more airflow for your drive(s) compared to what is available with the stock case....at least 2x front-intake fans (120mm) should go on your list.

- is this 3x 3TB disks (then you did not get your final bill maths right).

- you are missing the USB stick for unRAID

Not sure why he'll need so many fans for only 3 drives. I have an Antec 300 case with 4 array drives and one non-array drive and I cool it with a single 120mm rear-mounted fan and that fan (PWM) is off most of the time. Granted my server is in my basement but I just don't see a need to install two additional case fans if you are going to only have 3 HDDs. Now when the case is stuffed with HDDs then it may be needed but not now. All you're going to do is burn a couple more watts and make more noise.

...not sure if I read your final setup correct....some remarks though:

- you'll need more airflow for your drive(s) compared to what is available with the stock case....at least 2x front-intake fans (120mm) should go on your list.

- is this 3x 3TB disks (then you did not get your final bill maths right).

- you are missing the USB stick for unRAID

You're right, I goofed on the price.  I had ordered the stick but didn't include that either.  I also ordered a couple SATA cables.  And I did order the 2120, but for some reason I wrote it wrong.

NEWEGG ORDER:

1 x Western Digital Red WD30EFRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM $150.99

1 x ($129.99) CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready $129.99

1 x ($69.99) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL $69.99

1 x ($69.99) Intel Pentium G2120 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80637G2120 $69.99

1 x ($62.99) ASRock B75M R2.0 LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $62.99

1 x ($-15.00) DISCOUNT FOR PROMOTION CODE$-15.00

Subtotal: $468.95 ($448.95 after rebate)

AMAZON ORDER

1 x Antec Eleven Hundred Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case $ 109.99

2 x SATA Data Cable (2pk) $7.38

2 x WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD30EFRX $294.88

1 x SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ33-016G-B35 $12.27

Subtotal: $401.99

TOTAL:  $870.94

...it will depend on where the box is sitting and ambient temps.

When you do the preclear on the WD REDs, you'll see how things will work out...keep them below 40 deg. Celsius and you should be fine.

Edit:

I will also take a look at the cooling aspect of thing and see if I need to pick up a couple small fans for the hard drives.

...you maybe want the largest ones that fit, if noise is an issue...larger fans with lower rpm will be much more quieter  ;)

I have found that the best configuration is to have the front panel be the only air intake. So this means that you'll need to do one of the following to all other openings on your case:

[*]Install a fan that exhausts air from the case

[*]Block the opening to prevent any airflow (I use tape on my case, not the best looking option but it's cheap and works really well)

You want all intake airflow to travel over the drives. Seal any openings air could flow in through. You also want and exhaust to intake ratio of about 2:1. You should be OK right now with the large top fan, the 120mm in the back and the exhaust fan on the PSU. As you add more hard drives, and therefore intake fans, you may want to increase your number of exhaust fans.

I'm doing the pre-clear right now.  Nine hours into it and the discs are running between 34C-35C.  Seems good so far.

I'm starting to question using unRAID however.  I don't have the paranoia about losing my data, especially since everything I'm doing is recoverable one way or another, whether it be another download or another rip.  I guess the only thing I couldn't get back is time.  I'm going to have to reconsider if this is the best solution for me.

I'm doing the pre-clear right now.  Nine hours into it and the discs are running between 34C-35C.  Seems good so far.

I'm starting to question using unRAID however.  I don't have the paranoia about losing my data, especially since everything I'm doing is recoverable one way or another, whether it be another download or another rip.  I guess the only thing I couldn't get back is time.  I'm going to have to reconsider if this is the best solution for me.

what exactly are your issues with UnRaid that lead to this quote.

the preclear time is basically a cost of setup. not an everyday occurrence.

get an extra HDD after you done setting up , do the preclear on it (however long time it will take does not matter as this is a spare drive) and keep it as hot spare. in the system but not used.

if you want to expand array later just add it to the array and get a new HDD wash/rinse/repeat.

any solution geared towards data protection will take some time to setup.

if you want to do it properly.

preclear also test your drives to make sure they are up-to the task.

I for ones could not find anything yet that would work as good as unRaid does for the price/cost.

just the fact that it can use a mix and match mush of HDDs, and work them reliably is a great plus.

It's not really the problem with the pre-clear that led me to question using unRAID.

It's more of having to utilize an entire disk for parity.  The more I think about it, the time saved if a drive goes bad will probably be worth it.  It's partially because now I only have 3 HDDs, so one third of my potential storage is being utilized by parity.  I just haven't had the same issues as others on here with HDD going bad.  Add that to the fact that all my data is easily recovered, either by ripping it again from disc, or downloading it, and ultimately I don't have much to lose by not having a backup.......besides my time.

I'll let the pre-clear complete and probably continue with the unRAID setup unless I find a compelling reason to choose something else.  Without 6TB of data now anyway, it's not really an issue.

well since I have already done some research 2 years ago,

and did some checking recently  while trying to setup a new build  :-)

let me tell you there is not much of alternatives out there that would allow you to use all of your capacity any way. infact most of the alternatives will require for you to have more capacity over all.

if keeping the data save is not a concern, why bother with it at all .

just load something like FreeNAS(NAS4Free) and be done with it.

On a small scale losing a single drive to parity can be a burden that not everyone is willing to bear. But keep in mind that as you add disks to the array this becomes less and less of a concern. Although you have not yet had a hard drive issue, chances are good that someday you will. Currently you have 3tb disks and although you could re rip or download the content that is lost if a drive fails think about the time, effort, and headaches involved. What if you can't remember everything that was on the disk? What if some of the content is no longer available but you really wanted it?

I myself have never been a big fan of losing a disk to parity but its better than losing everything due to a failure. The added advantage of unraid is that if you had two drives die at the same time you will only lose those two drives not anwentire array. If you were running a raid5 your whole array would be gone and all your data lost.

It is personal preference but I for one am glad I have unraid especially given my current failing disk issue.