Virtualizing unRAID with Xen on Arch Linux, XBMC & Windows with VGA Passthrough

Thanks Grumpy - got that fixed, got my eno1 bridged...

question on that eno1 before the bridge is set to static 192.168.0.3

after the bridge activates eno1 no longer has a ip, and per the example I was following - xenbr0 gets a dhcp of 182.168.0.138.  Can I set that to static of the .3 and keep everything happy?

eno1 should not show an ip and you need to disable it from getting on at boot.

Login in as root and do the following

1. Change ip=static for eno1 to static=no

nano /etc/netctl/eno1

2. Disable eno1 from starting at boot.

sudo netctl disable eno1 (or whatever you called it)

3. Just to make sure... Go see if you netctl@en01 in the following two directories:

/etc/systemd/system 
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants 

If you see anything netctl@en01... delete them. However, leave the xenbr0 stuff alone.

4. Edit your xenbr0 and change it to static.

nano /etc/netctl/xenbr0 (or whatever you called it)

Example below of what a static would look like
Description="xenbr0 bridge connection"
Interface=xenbr0
Connection=bridge
BindsToInterfaces=(eno1) #<--- Have that match the name of your NIC
IP=static
Address=('192.168.1.1/24') #<--- Customize for your system
Gateway='192.168.1.254' #<--- Customize for your system
DNS=('192.168.1.254') #<--- Customize for your system

5. Then disable netctl xenbr0

netctl disable xenbr0

6. Enable with new settings

netctl enable xenbr0

7. Reboot for changes to take effect

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, next quirk

here is the unRAID.cfg I am using

on_xend_stop  = 'shutdown'
on_xend_start = 'start'
name = 'unRAID'
vcpus = '1'
memory = '1024'
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:a1:b2:cc,bridge=xenbr0' ]
kernel = "/home/mykroft/unRAID/bzimage"
ramdisk = "/home/mykroft/unRAID/bzroot"
extra = "console=hvc0"
acpi = 1
apic = 1
pci = [ '00:1f.2','02:00.0','03:00.0' ]

and upon trying to create I get the following:

[root@tcsserver unRAID]# xl create unRAID.cfg
Parsing config from unRAID.cfg
xc: error: elf_xen_note_check: ERROR: Will only load images built for the generic loader or Linux images: Invalid kernel
libxl: error: libxl_dom.c:384:libxl__build_pv: xc_dom_parse_image failed: No such file or directory
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:900:domcreate_rebuild_done: cannot (re-)build domain: -3

Is there something special/specific I need to create the unRAID VM?

Thanks again

Myk

Is there something special/specific I need to create the unRAID VM?

1. Where did you get the bzroot and bzimage from?

2. Login as root and post the following here:

xl info

3. If you get errors on 2 above...

sudo systemctl enable xenstored.service
sudo systemctl enable xenconsoled.service
sudo systemctl enable xendomains.service

4. Reboot

WOOT!  I have a running unRAID system.  Thank you much guys

Only thing left to do is figure out which USB interface to passthru. 

The SSD running everything is using the usb connector on the MB that the unRAID stick used to be in.  Have a usb to 2.5 Sata adapter cable.  Looking for 3rd 8 port card in a box somewhere, so I dont have to passthru the stata from the MB and can plug it in direct and use the usb connector on the MB again for the unRAID stick.

This is so neat - happy as a pig in mud :)

Myk

ok, small quirk - not major - but would like to get it working again

have my unRAIDU running - but temps are no longer working, if I boot to orig unRAID flash they work

upon looking at the go script where the module is loaded I get the following:

root@Tower:/boot/config# modprobe w83627ehf
FATAL: Error inserting w83627ehf (/lib/modules/3.9.6p-unRAID/kernel/drivers/hwmon/w83627ehf.ko): No such device[code]

but again it works and displays temps just fine if I boot orig unraid instead of the vm version...

any ideas what to look for?

Myk

have my unRAIDU running - but temps are no longer working, if I boot to orig unRAID flash they work

FATAL: Error inserting w83627ehf (/lib/modules/3.9.6p-unRAID/kernel/drivers/hwmon/w83627ehf.ko): No such device

but again it works and displays temps just fine if I boot orig unraid instead of the vm version...

I know what the issue is.

I am waiting for the next version of unRAID to come out and I will fix it then.

FATAL: Error inserting w83627ehf (/lib/modules/3.9.6p-unRAID/kernel/drivers/hwmon/w83627ehf.ko): No such device

I know what the issue is.

I am waiting for the next version of unRAID to come out and I will fix it then.

What is it? You clever dog.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What is it? You clever dog.

It was something I did.

When I rsync the kernel modules into the bzroot... That hwmon module gets deleted. Haven't looked into it but I suspect Tom drops a version of of that hwmon into his bzroot and why it gets deleted with my rsync command.

Easy Fix... Just waiting on the next release.

If we are lucky, in the next release Tom will include the KVM and Xen Guest Drivers.

Also I dont dare reboot now, as my installed kernel image is gone

It's bug. Well not really a bug. The Arch ISO isn't up to date with the new grub that installs. Arch Downloads the latest packages when it installs. Since they release an ISOs every month, the ISO you are using doesn't know a new setting in the new grub package. The fix will be in the new ISO on 01/14.

The solution until then...

echo GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=y >> /etc/default/grub

then...

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

You should be good to go.

FYI to all, this still appears to be needed...I used old media and pacman -Syu, so I am not sure if it makes a difference if you use the new media, but I don't think so.  Grumpy can confirm.

So I just emailed Supermicro on this issue as here is bag of sh*t response I got after having spent £240 on a motherboard of theirs.

This is a desktop boards, and it is not designed for Xen or other virtualization applications, only for desktop OS. Therefore compatibility is unknown.

What utter crap. I'm so pissed right now. Will never buy from them again, what a ludicrous statement. Why support vt-d if you don't support it?

Wow, thats pretty crappy.

I was looking at that board myself for my new build but will now stay far away.

Being in the UK myself I know what a PITA to get hold of and how expensive Supermicro stuff is here  :(

Think I'll wait till the Asrock C226 WS is in stock somewhere.

Sorry you had to find out the hard way Ironic.

I was getting ready to buy that very same motherboard when i read DanaG's comment @ Hardforum regarding the impossibility of EFI booting the host from the ASMedia SATA controller (i wanted to passthrough the Intel controller to a VM).

I feel your pain, but i'm kinda glad i waited for a definite report regarding vt-d working properly or not.

Back to square one i guess. All i wanted was a mobo with vt-d working, IPMI/VPro and 2 SATA controllers so i could passthrough one of them to a VM if needed.

Is this that much to ask? ::)

I was getting ready to buy that very same motherboard when i read DanaG's comment @ Hardforum regarding the impossibility of EFI booting the host from the ASMedia SATA controller (i wanted to passthrough the Intel controller to a VM).

I feel your pain, but i'm kinda glad i waited for a definite report regarding vt-d working properly or not.

Back to square one i guess. All i wanted was a mobo with vt-d working, IPMI/VPro and 2 SATA controllers so i could passthrough one of them to a VM if needed.

Is this that much to ask? ::)

It apparently is, I was so excited about this board as well. If they're going to charge me 30% restocking fee I'll just keep it and hopefully it gets fixed in a BIOS update or something.

vPro works great, vt-d works great (apart from the audio issue) and the build quality and extra touches (like a power button mounted to the mobo itself) make for a really nice package. Just the one showstopper issue for me that ruins it. Sigh.

There are no other full ATX boards that I've found which meet this requirement set you outlined above. As you say, is it really too much to ask!?