Virtualizing unRAID with Xen on Arch Linux, XBMC & Windows with VGA Passthrough

Has anyone had any luck with openelec or xbmcubuntu with passthrough vga?

XBMCbuntu works. Although I am not a fan of it. Too much bloat and no PV Drivers.

i have openelec booting tftp and it boots but doesn't seem to switch over to the passthrough card.

I have the tftp booting working on a standalone machine and its working flawlessly

OpenELEC is it's own Linux Distro. Due to how they compile the Linux Kernel and not having some packages installed... It doesn't have the ability to work in a VM on KVM, Xen or ESXi.

xbmcubuntu live works great  plays video verified gpu usage through the 'O' status.

try to install xbmcubuntu and it bombs during the install saying the disk is bad (its not)

Ironic ran into the same problem today. It's an issue with the latest ISO. Many users who were trying to use it (outside of a VM) are having the same problem.

Ironic figured out the solution, use an older version and follow my post here (which johnodon told me about):

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31570.msg286363#msg286363

When I get some time, I will post a XBMC VM Appliance that boots into XBMC Frodo 12.3 (similar to openELEC) and it will also have HD Audio too should you need it.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I have had to return the board owing to some financial constraints that have just come my way. My dog has ruptured his cruciate ligament and had surgery yesterday. He's ok, but priorities for my cash have moved around somewhat!

If SM try charge me the 30% restocking fee I'll just raise a dispute on my CC.

Thanks for all your help guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jack,

Just a short update… our engineers are in contact with Intel’s engineers ref this and will update you the moment I know more.

Kind Regards,

Joseph

That's the latest, just to keep those who are interested informed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

lol I'm still hoping they'll get it resolved, as I'd really like to use this board in my next build! The bug is a deal breaker for me tho, so I've been chasing around every 3-4 weeks.

Keeping my fingers crossed Supermicro don't let me down!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Good Morning Jack,

There has been some progress overnight with an update from Intel but we have not had a chance to test this as yet – here is the solution:

- Below is a generic passthru procedure, in order to use HDMI, they just need to do the following:

Change "Default Run Level" to " Run Level 3: Multi-Command line". Enter

ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target

/etc/systemd/system/default.target

-  Use the LAN connection to establish a SSH remote session in order to keep control of Host OS (I've used tera term http://ttssh2.sourceforge.jp/index.html.en)

Let me know how you get on.

That's the response I've had this morning... the only thing I lack is a board to try it out!! Do you know anyone else who has one who can test this ironicbadger?  :)

• 10 months later...

Hello Group;

I am hoping someone has some insights..to my xen boot issue..

Tried v4.3, v4.4.1 & v4.5-git..

I am getting same error booting ..

======================

parport_pc parport_pc.956: unable to set coherent dma mask: disabling dma

======================

After this, the monitor screen goes blank & it powers down..

The this is lsmod shows no entry for paraport or paraport_pc

Am running Archbang -- 3.18.6-1-ARCH

I am desperate..

Pls advise.. Thnx a Lot