5rc16c and beyond

generally a big thumbs up for all the work on unraid, but...

-was it really necessary to start the sf - unraid merge at this point? we looked finally at sth that could have been THE v5!

now the whole hassle starts again to fix the 6439 million probs resulting from the gui merge!!!!

i mean, really???

why not just release v5 and keep that for v6?

i see the potential advantages and so on. i thought we are going towards a 64bit version with the next evolution stage. i assume it will be even more cr*p to sort out from 5rc16c-SF evolution and it's now needed fixes to the next 6rc1-64 stage incl sf.

dont get me wrong, i like unraid for my media server, i appreciate sf for the extended funktionality, BUT at the moment it seems we are looking (close to a final stable version) at new unneeded experiments! therefore poss. dragging out the actual advancement to new really exciting features even longer.

really, just stop this madness (let the system software for the sake of system software fanboys daddle around for a while on there own) and move on!!!!

get working on v6 with 64bit support, integrated sf features. hell, take a week or two to work the basics out and go from there! at the moment it is no progress at all - unraid looks a little cuter, the sf functions dont work for a good part.

FOCUS! pull a f***ing line and say that is v5! we are moving on to new exiting versions. the other guys are not sleeping on unraid-like systems, more focused this days and on the way to pull ahead in advanced features!

my 2c

greets, L

Unfortunately we don't know what's going to be in v5, and what isn't.  We will have to wait.  LimeTech hasn't said that the new GUI is going to be part of it, he simply released it, and said that he's working on documentation for v5.  I don't have any idea why he did this, but maybe he made the GUI release to appease some people, get feedback and lay plans for a new GUI while he is working on documenting the v5 release.  Making official documentation that deals with other people's data is not simple.  There are numerous support requests made to the forum weekly.  Official documentation is important and necessary.

I'm not saying I don't want some sort of indication of where the progress is, I'd love that, however I'd rather get a solid 5.0, than have LimeTech pander to my wants.  This is all my speculation, and we'll have to wait for the final release to know.

Unfortunately we don't know what's going to be in v5, and what isn't.  We will have to wait.  LimeTech hasn't said that the new GUI is going to be part of it, he simply released it, and said that he's working on documentation for v5.  I don't have any idea why he did this, but maybe he made the GUI release to appease some people, get feedback and lay plans for a new GUI while he is working on documenting the v5 release.  Making official documentation that deals with other people's data is not simple.  There are numerous support requests made to the forum weekly.  Official documentation is important and necessary.

I'm not saying I don't want some sort of indication of where the progress is, I'd love that, however I'd rather get a solid 5.0, than have LimeTech pander to my wants.  This is all my speculation, and we'll have to wait for the final release to know.

basically what i said, give us a solid v5. i understand the documentation part and agree. being at 5rc16c and running solid should make a final, without further tinkering around. stop the insanity now, document it and thats it. works for me so far solid with 12 storage drives. only prob i had lately was a subsonic glitch, thats the plugin guys prob to sort out, not tom's.

i basically say, stop scr**ing around, finish v5 and lets move on to much needed new stuff - like 64bit, multiple parity drives etc.... incorporate the good features of sf in the new version properly from the beginning. with 6rc1 we will start a new long development, allowing for all this playing around.

i got myself into unraid instead of flexraid, free nas and the likes because it looked like a booming community with a straight forward development towards better, safer, flexible storage.

at the moment i am not so sure if the focus on this principles got a little lost.

i run my server in order to keep my data save, not to salivate about gui's. thats a nice side-feature. maybe for some ppl it is more about the: i installed it first on my server with no data and made it work....  or the opposite - i installed it, it doesnt work with my 99 plugins....

tom, it works! all was fine! finalize and move on!

regards, L

ps: sorry for the blow-up!!!

actually he has said that the new gui is in 5.0. https://github.com/limetech/webGui/pull/1#issuecomment-22980697

now the plugin manager aspect.. i would assume it will be too (personally I wish it was a bit more flushed out before it gets included)