Pricing structure: adding another tier between Plus and Pro

Is it possible to consider adding another tier between Plus and Pro? Say 12 drives?

Personally I wouldn't go beyond 10 drives plus parity and cache and would build another server before going beyond this amount. Both due to the physical size, heat restrictions and personal comfort of drive failure.

Tom has already said that he's THINKING about another level -- but I'm sure any decision on that won't be made until he's finished v5.0  :)

... and he also made it clear that it's not necessarily going to happen -- so you may simply need to buy a pair of Pro licenses.

It's not a deal breaker for me, the time is near for my current setup expanding past my plus licence so if it has to be a Pro licence then so be it

Just such a big range of users between 6 drives and 24. Lets see if Tom considers it then

Note that the cost of a Plus -> Pro upgrade is good for upgrading TWO Plus licenses.

So if you upgrade your license, you can, in the future, get another Pro license for the price of a Plus license  :)

I doubt any intermediate license is going to be priced where it works out much better than that anyway.

Note that the cost of a Plus -> Pro upgrade is good for upgrading TWO Plus licenses.

So if you upgrade your license, you can, in the future, get another Pro license for the price of a Plus license  :)

I doubt any intermediate license is going to be priced where it works out much better than that anyway.

I had not read that correctly until you pointed it out, and as I did not consider the benefits of a second / backup licence at the time, it will work out just as well for me as any intermediate price.

In not saying for a second it's deliberate, but its a bit of a catch when you're starting out with unRAID as you think 6 drives will be enough and you will never need 24. Yet we all know afterwards we need more.

I will probably be proven wrong, but I think 12 drives is a more common range than 24 and 6

if you upgrade your license, you can, in the future, get another Pro license for the price of a Plus license

That wasn't how I read it on the unRAID site.

I recently upgraded my Plus key to Pro and was wondering about getting a second as I'm potentially building another server in the near future. To me it says you're upgrading your existing license - not guaranteeing an upgrade of a second key to be bought some time in the future. So if I'd bought the 2-pack I could upgrade both, but having only bought one I was only entitled to the single key upgrade.

Maybe we can get some concrete confirmation - I'd be very interested to hear Tom's take on this as I'm still considering a second key and would purchase a second Pro key at the Plus price.

if you upgrade your license, you can, in the future, get another Pro license for the price of a Plus license

That wasn't how I read it on the unRAID site.

I recently upgraded my Plus key to Pro and was wondering about getting a second as I'm potentially building another server in the near future. To me it says you're upgrading your existing license - not guaranteeing an upgrade of a second key to be bought some time in the future. So if I'd bought the 2-pack I could upgrade both, but having only bought one I was only entitled to the single key upgrade.

Maybe we can get some concrete confirmation - I'd be very interested to hear Tom's take on this as I'm still considering a second key and would purchase a second Pro key at the Plus price.

If you've purchased the upgrade, you can upgrade a 2nd license at your leisure -- I know folks who have done this.    You can't now "purchase a second Pro key at the Plus price" => but you can purchase a Plus key and use the 2nd upgrade  :)    Same result ... just different semantics and process.

The upgrade works basically the same as when you buy a 2-pack of licenses => you don't have to use the 2nd right away ... you can wait until you have a 2nd flash drive, and then provide the GUI to apply the license.

TomM won't be able to chime in on this discussion until early next week, but I've been noting all of the recent license discussions/requests so he and I can review when he gets back. 

Thanks.

TomH

As suspected...Tom released 5.0 so he can take a vacation!

Unfortunately not.  He's on a burn-out drive to collect some furniture from his dad's house, which the family is selling as his dad passed away several months ago.

• 3 weeks later...

There's been a bit of discussion about this on other threads, and it seems unlikely that there is going to be an additional license tier.    Limetech is offering a Pro license at a VERY good price in conjunction with the purchase of one of their servers;  but for roll-your-own systems you need to either limit the drive count to the Plus level, or just spring for a Pro license.

You can take the "sting" out of the cost of a Pro license by taking advantage of the 2-pack ... that drops the per/license cost to $75, and provides you with either a backup key or an extra key for a 2nd UnRAID system  (perhaps to backup your primary one).

Are there any plans following release of 5.0 to look at the license structure?

I'm going to be on the cusp of a plus/pro license (8 drives) once I populate my server and would be great to know what is planned before I take the plunge!

Cheers,

Phil

Hi PhilUK,

As RobJ pointed out in a different thread on this topic:

Originally, the Pro was 12 drives (Basic=3, Plus=6, Pro=12, all nicely spaced).  But as always, there were users begging Tom for just one more, or two more.  So with v4, he went to 14 drives, and sometime later he allowed 16 drives, then 20 drives with the first v5 releases.

As the number of drives increased in the array, Tom thought about introducing "Ultimate", but that many tiers rubbed him the wrong way, so he just kept on extending Pro for the same price.  So, some may think that they are paying for wasted slots, but the fact is that Tom never increased the price or created Ultimate.  He and I discussed this about two weeks ago and everything is staying the same.

TomH