New forums

RobJ

I would like to suggest to Tom that he consider adding a forum specific to hard drive problems, perhaps Drive Problems or Hard Drives or ...  Hard disk issues are not specific to any version, and don't fit that well in any of the described forums, and this would help isolate them, be easier to find when drive trouble happens.

I imagine he may be adding unRAID Server 4.X shortly, to cover the rest of unRAID version 4's, until the unRAID Server 5 forum!

I do think the current forum setup has worked well, but support needs are increasing.  It looks to me as if unRAID is starting to take off, by the continual registration of new users, and by the increasing number of Guests viewing forum posts.

Unfortunately over 90% of the new registrations (over 800 new 'users') in the last month are spammers, and within the next few weeks, there will be more spammers than there are valid unRAID users.  Perhaps it is also time to add a Captcha validation or comparable, to both the forum and wiki registrations?

Rob, last time I looked at plugins for the SMF forum software, I could not find a captcha plugin.

I run other forums on SMF, and I've configured them to deny posting to the generic new user, and once I review them, I put users in a different general group that does have posting rights.

Rob, last time I looked at plugins for the SMF forum software, I could not find a captcha plugin.

Just looking at the SMF v1.1.7 change log (found near the bottom of this), and it mentions something about Captcha sounds in v1.1.5.  The v2.0beta change log doesn't seem to mention Captcha, but it does mention 'verification controls', which include images and question/answer challenges.  I don't know any more than that.

I run other forums on SMF, and I've configured them to deny posting to the generic new user, and once I review them, I put users in a different general group that does have posting rights.

If Tom were to approve that, and if there is the manpower to monitor it, that would work.  Most of these spammers are not being subtle, they are quite obvious, definitively recognizable in seconds.