unRAID Server Release 5.0 i386 Available

Download

The "new" (not really new) webGui still has some rough cosmetic edges and so I'm taking the advice of several people and releasing 5.0 'stable' with the "stock" webGui that's been in the 5.0-beta/rc series all along.  There is an upgrade utility on the Utils menu that will download the latest webGui development located on github.  As of time of this post, I have not yet done a new 'push' - that will come after this 5.0 release is available since some features depend on minor changes to the base unRAID OS code.

The full Release Notes are accessible on the download page, but here are the installation/upgrade instructions:

unRAID Server Version 5.0 Release Notes
=======================================

Installation on a New Flash Device
==================================

To make a bootable USB Flash device using Windows (XP/Vista/Win7), follow these steps:

1. Plug your USB Flash device into your Windows PC.

2. Open 'My Computer' (XP) or 'Computer' (Vista/Win7) and right-click your Flash device. Click 'Format...',
   set the volume label to UNRAID and then click 'Start'. Important: the volume label must be set exactly
   to UNRAID (all caps).

3. Click on your Flash device (to open it), click on the zip file (to open it) and drag then entire contents of
   the unRAID Server zip file to the Flash.

4. For Windows XP, click on the file 'make_bootable'.  A DOS window will open and run the 'syslinux' utility on the
   Flash.  For Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the file 'make_bootable' and select 'Run as administrator'.
   The 'syslinux' utility will write the Master Boot Record and create a small hidden file named 'ldlinux.sys' on
   the Flash device, making it bootable.

5. Once again, right-click your Flash device in 'My Computer' or 'Computer' and then click 'Eject'.  Your Flash
   device is now ready to boot into unRAID Server OS.

Upgrade Instructions
====================

Please read carefully.

Important:

- Only upgrade a server that has all disks enabled with valid parity: no missing disk(s), no disabled disk, etc.
  Verify everything is working correctly with your current release before proceeding.

- Backup the entire contents of your Flash device before upgrading.  If something goes wrong or a major problem is
  uncovered in the release this will make it easier for you to downgrade.

- Record the model, serial number, and position of each of your hard disks. Perhaps the easiest way to do this is
  to take a screen capture of the webGui Main page.

- Disable or un-install all non-stock unRAID add-ons.  After upgrading, only use add-ons that have been verified
  to work properly with this release by the add-on author.

If you are currently running any unRAID Server OS release before 4.7:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

- First upgrade your server to version 4.7 and verify your server boots properly into 4.7 and your configuration
  appears valid.

If you are currently running unRAID Server OS release 4.7:
----------------------------------------------------------

There are several ways to upgrade, however probably the easiest is to make a backup, re-format your Flash device,
install this release, and then restore your configuration from backup.  This will ensure the latest version of
all the support files, such as syslinux, memtest, etc., get installed properly.  Follow these steps:

1. Make a backup.  Plug your USB Flash device into your PC, create a 'backup' folder somewhere, e.g., on
   your desktop, and then drag the entire contents of your Flash to the backup folder.

2. Follow the instructions above for "Installation on a New Flash Device", that is, reformat the Flash, copy the
   over the contents of the zip file, and then invoke 'make_bootable'.

3. Before ejecting the Flash device, delete all the files in the 'config' directory on the Flash and replace
   them with the contents of the 'config' directory in your 'backup' folder.  This will transfer your configuration
   and license key to the new installation.  Note: do not copy over the 'plugin' folder if it exists.

4. If present, delete these files from the flash (sorry, you will need to re-enter all your users after upgrade):
   - 'config/passwd'
   - 'config/shadow'
   - 'config/smbpasswd'

5. Now eject the Flash device, re-install into your server and reboot.  Once boot-up has completed, open your
   web browser and enter "tower/" in the URL field (or if your server is named something different, use that
   name instead of 'tower').  This should bring up the "Main" page.  Note the Main page in unRAID version 5
   is called "Main", whereas in version 4.7 it's called "main.htm". This may require you to update any bookmarks.

- On the Main page, you should see array status "Stopped. Configuration valid." with all disks assigned correctly
   except for the Cache disk. If you previously had a Cache disk assigned, you will need to re-assign it manually
   and re-apply any unique configuration settings for it. Carefully examine the Identification strings for each disk
   to verify each appears in the correct position.

- Click on 'parity' and each 'data' disk link on the Main page to bring up the Device Settings page for that
   device. If you see "MBR: error", or "MBR: unknown" for any disk, DO NOT START THE ARRAY; instead post your
   finding in the Forum announcement thread for this release or send an email to [email protected].

- If everything looks ok, click Start to bring the array on-line.  Note: there is a new configuration setting on
   the Disk Settings page called "Enable auto start".  If you set this to "Yes", then upon next server boot, if the
   array is valid, then it will be automatically Started (this is the old behavior).

IF YOUR ARRAY DOES NOT START, or if anything goes wrong or unexpected, DO NOT PROCEED, instead send email to
   [email protected].  None of this should happen, but especially, if you see a Format button, or your
   key is not recognized, seek assistance.

- Go to Utils/New Permissions and execute that utility to change file ownership and permission settings.  This is
   a one-time action necessary for proper operation of the 5.0 security model.

- Go to Users page and re-enter all of your users.  If you plan on using SMB and/or AFP with either Secure or
   Private security mode, you must enter at least one user because the 'root' user name is no longer permitted for
   network share authentication.  If all your shares are Public, you may not need to add any users.

- Finally, if you have been using add-ons, there is a wiki page with further information:
   http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Migrating_from_unRAID_4.7_to_unRAID_5.0

If you are currently running unRAID Server OS release 5.0-rc16c:
----------------------------------------------------------------

- Copy over 'bzimage', 'bzroot', and 'readme.txt' from the release zip file to your Flash and then reboot your server.

If you are currently running an earlier unRAID Server OS 5.0-beta or 5.0-rc release:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Probably the best thing to do is backup your Flash, reformat, re-install, restore 'config' directory, and
  then reboot.

unRAID Server Version 5.0 Change Log
====================================

Changes from 5.0-rc16c to 5.0 'stable'
--------------------------------------
- emhttp: return correct MIME type for javascript (application/javascript)
- emhttp: get rid of "Welcome" page, make "Main" the default start page
- emhttp: added Release Notes page under Utils/Upgrade menu
- emhttp: added Upgrade webGui page under Utils/Upgrade menu
- mover: include rsync 'O' option in order to prevent directory modification time update
- shfs: fix bug where latest directory mtime not being returned
- slack: remove /var/log tmpfs entry in /etc/fstab since this is done in rc.S

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is i368 only. I'm a bit confused, is there going to be a x64? Not sure if this is the right version to use.

Thanks!

Right, all unRAID OS versions have been "i386" so far.  This is here for when the x86_64 version is released so we can distinguish them.

Edit: I should add, "i386" is just the linux designation for the 32-bit x86 kernel.  The unRAID OS "i386" kernel is built with PAE enabled and support for up to 8 cores.

Upgraded from RC15 to 5.0 Final without wiping the flash drive as suggested. No issues so far in case anyone was wondering. I think he put that in there just in case many people are running out of date plugins and whatnot? Will post if I run into any issues.

Good to know, I am on RC8a and hoping this is the case as well.  Dont feel like reformating the flash drive

Upgraded from RC15 to 5.0 Final without wiping the flash drive as suggested. No issues so far in case anyone was wondering. I think he put that in there just in case many people are running out of date plugins and whatnot? Will post if I run into any issues.

Good to know, I am on RC8a and hoping this is the case as well.  Dont feel like reformating the flash drive

Let us know how it goes. Lazy me is still on 8a as well.

Let us know how it goes. Lazy me is still on 8a as well.

4.7 checking in here ;-)

I'm running 4.7 as well with a bunch of plug-ins. I'll do the upgrade this weekend and post back with results. I'm sure others will do it before me but I just want to make sure I have enough time.

Great news, Tom!

Just a reminder for all of those upgrading from UnRAID v4.7 or earlier, there are a few things that can surprise you when you upgrade, such as:

* system may not boot (may need to run make_bootable.bat)

* no network connection

* changed URL for web management page

* PuTTY screen has strange characters

* users gone

* some plugins may not work correctly

* possibly other gotchas too

Discussion of these can be found (in addition to the installation notes in Tom's post above) in Migrating from unRAID 4.7 to unRAID 5.0, which I strongly recommend.

I noticed a little typo in the release notes:

If you are currently running unRAID Server OS release 5.0-rc16a:

----------------------------------------------------------------

- Copy over 'bzimage' and 'bzroot' from the release zip file to your Flash and then reboot your server.

I assume from Tom's original post it should be rc16c.

ANYWAY..............

To paraphrase some of the Apollo 11 moon landing chatter....

......you got a bunch of guys about to turn blue here. We're breathing again. Thanks a lot!

That's one small step.........  ;D