unRAID Server Release 5.0 i386 Available

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aside from having the ability for apps to use more memory is there any advantage to x64.

post about slackware going 64bit and why it matters: http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7502/

now with regards to unraid.. if your running 2gb of ram or less.. you deff wouldnt want a 64bit os (takes up more ram, run 32bit in 64bit requires some extra libs, etc).

now for the majority going forward, most people will want/have to run a 64bit os.. since 4gb+ ram is becoming common.. more people expect a device to do more than one thing (running apps?).. having the extra ram can always be helpful..  64bit for the masses is also mainstream.. so bugs/updates will prob come first for that as the userbase for the 32bit is shrinking. now there will probably be some pitfalls with switching.. legacy drivers? new bugs?

Thanks for the response! Guess I'm waiting for x64 since I'm running 4GB with a x64 CPU. But I'm glad Tom has released this version!

Thanks for the response! Guess I'm waiting for x64 since I'm running 4GB with a x64 CPU. But I'm glad Tom has released this version!

If you're running any of the v5RC's you should update to v5.0, as there were quite a few bug fixes along the evolutionary path to the stable release.    If you're running v4.7 and don't need > 2TB support, then it's probably a wash.

Dont wait for x64, use 5.0 as it stand now and enjoy it.

I guess I'm assuming that x64 will come out soon. I don't see a point of upgrading then doing it again for x64 (unless it's super easy and doesn't need different plugins)

If you're running any of the v5RC's you should update to v5.0, as there were quite a few bug fixes along the evolutionary path to the stable release.    If you're running v4.7 and don't need > 2TB support, then it's probably a wash.

I am running 4.7 and do need 3TB drive support. I'm hoping Tom will soon follow with the x64.

I am running 4.7 and do need 3TB drive support. I'm hoping Tom will soon follow with the x64.

I wouldn't wait for the x64 version.  If you need the > 2TB support, you should upgrade to v5.0 and get it !!

What plugins are you using that you're concerned about?

This is what I'm using:

apcupsd

cachedirs

cxxlibs-6.0.9-i486

hdparm

JRE

lsof

MC

SMART tools

I guess it's not really that much, ha guess I won't get any advantage from x64 :P

I guess I'm assuming that x64 will come out soon. I don't see a point of upgrading then doing it again for x64 (unless it's super easy and doesn't need different plugins)

Don't wait for it.  You said you need 3TB drive support so update to 5.0 and run with it until x64 comes out and is proven stable.

Congratulations Tom. Now go take a vacation, you've earned it.

Also, hats off for keeping your cool and acting like a professional, despite some of the comments of late. The majority of us understand you work your butt off and shouldn't have to babysit the forum.

Take care mate, look forward to running 5.0 on my new box in the next few weeks (hopefully) and I'll be sure to pick up another license.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ahh, finally we have a 5.0 without the rc!!!

nice job m8! it was time... or we could have suffered to more rc's like 5rc69a in 2020  ;D

runs nice and stable on my main server, the backup server i still fiddling around with subsonic and any version after rc15a  :(

anyway, great job m8!!!!

now take a break and afterwards lets shoot for 5.0-64  ;)

Not sure anyone has mentioned this yet, I haven't actually visited in a while, and I've only clicked on a few pages, but the LimeTech web page is looking slick Tom.  Great work there too.  I hope it drives more business.

FWIW, I did notice an IE10 formatting issue that went away when I went into compatibility mode (at work, can't test on FF).  this page (http://lime-technology.com/unraid-server/) at the bottom "Try It For Free section" I'm seeing the first two bullets aligned to the left of the car-moving-fast photo.