unRAID Server Release 5.0 i386 Available

I am trying to get the FTP working with multiple users.  I can get one user to work, but when I add a second user to the "FTP User(s)" I can no longer log in.  I entered the names with a space between them, but no go.

Anyone been able to get multiple FTP users to work?

UPDATE: I got it to work by editing the vsftpd.user_list file on the flash drive and putting each user on a separate line.  When they are on a single line with a space between them, it doesn't work.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not a whole lot to add, stock unraid, upgraded 18 hours ago, nobody in my family has complained so I consider that a win.

Party check has never really changed from 4.7 to 5-rc16c to 5 final

Duration: 9 hours, 49 minutes, 58 seconds. Average speed: 84.8 MB/sec

I am trying to get the FTP working with multiple users.  I can get one user to work, but when I add a second user to the "FTP User(s)" I can no longer log in.  I entered the names with a space between them, but no go.

Anyone been able to get multiple FTP users to work?

UPDATE: I got it to work by editing the vsftpd.user_list file on the flash drive and putting each user on a separate line.  When they are on a single line with a space between them, it doesn't work.

Are you using 5.0 final?  AFAIK this problem was only present on rc11 and fixed on rc11a ( http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25609.msg222966#msg222966 ), and I did just tested now on 5.0 final and can't reproduce it, i.e. if I insert "aaa bbb" as FTP user(s) and then look at vsftpd.user_list I can see:

aaa
bbb

then spaces are replaced by new lines, as they should.

Also not sure if Simplefeatures or any other plugin that "hacks" webgui could somehow break this, may be worth checking, if you are using it...

Ah yes.  SF is breaking this.  I am holding off just a bit waiting for the new webgui and SF web server to be completed and I will then move to that one.  I'm still using the SF web server and can't move on just yet.

Till then, problem solved.  Thanks for the information.

Quick note to add another data point for 5.0.

I recently updated from RC11 to 5.0, by simply replacing 'bzimage' and 'bzroot', and found no surprises.

I ran a parity check before and after the upgrade, with both reporting no problems and average speed of ~75 MB/s.

System:

MB:      Asus M4A78-VM  (http://www.asus.com.au/product.aspx?P_ID=daNjn5iQIh14MVvN)

CPU:      AMD SEMPRON LE-1200 CPU, 2.1GHz (45W)

RAM:      2GB (2x1GB) Corsair DDR2 PC-6400/800

PSU:      Corsair VX-450 450W ATX Power Supply

PCI SATA:  Adaptec 1430SA - PCI E x4 (installed in M4A78 16x "graphics" slot)

Disks:    10 (2x3TB, 4x2TB, 4x1.5TB, mostly green)

Hmm....I've tried every method of upgrading recommended from RC11 with no luck (format thumb drive, load 5.0, and paste config folder; copy/paste bzimage and bzroot to RC11) No luck. I see the boot screen and starts to boot but all I get is continuous HDD activity after that so I reverted back to RC11 and run a parity check. Have not tried safe mode yet.  I'll also remove my cache drive. I think it's on the way out. It's green balled but has an issue formatting. After it formats, the status states it but after a reboot, it is not. I'm not a heavy enough user to use a cache anyway. 

Any tips if those methods don't work?

Hmm....I've tried every method of upgrading recommended from RC11 with no luck (format thumb drive, load 5.0, and paste config folder; copy/paste bzimage and bzroot to RC11)

I didnt follow the "method of upgrading recommended from RC11".

I followed the method for "If you are currently running unRAID Server OS release 5.0-rc16c:"

i.e simply replace 'bzimage' and 'bzroot' and reboot.

4.7 to 5.0 upgrader here. Couldn't have been easier. Parity check seems marginally slower. Finally replaced my old parity disk with a 3TB one. Now to add a few more TB to the array. I like the new GUI. All-in-all Tom did a fantastic job, thanks.

Bring on the plug-in manager!!

You SHOULD NOT reformat or start over unless you really want to re-install everything.

This is from the first page in the thread - can you clarify please?:

If you are currently running unRAID Server OS release 5.0-rc16c:

----------------------------------------------------------------

- Copy over 'bzimage', 'bzroot', and 'readme.txt' from the release zip file to your Flash and then reboot your server.

If you are currently running an earlier unRAID Server OS 5.0-beta or 5.0-rc release:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Probably the best thing to do is backup your Flash, reformat, re-install, restore 'config' directory, and

then reboot.

coming from rc5

whats the best thing to do now?

Format flash, and do clean install?

What about apps..?

So i back up my flash

format

clean install

Then what?

I copy the old config directory over? or can i just leave it with a clean install?

(want to install all addons from start again anyway)

Should i move my plugins from /boot/plugins to /boot/config/plugins?

You SHOULD NOT reformat or start over unless you really want to re-install everything.

hey guys, I need to swap a drive out for a larger one.  I guess there is no gui for preclear yet, so I assume I would just run preclear_disk.sh at the command line.  Is that currently the best way to preclear a drive with stock v5?

BTW - have disabled all of my plugins for now, except APC UPS.

Otherwise, use Screen.

Can you explain this?

Install UnMenu, then install Screen.    This lets you log into the UnRAID console from your PC.  It's different than using Telnet, as a Telnet sessions ends when you disconnect => so, for example, if you start a pre-clear and then close a Telnet session, you've just killed the pre-clear.  But if you do it from Screen, you can exit you session, and then log back in later and check the status, as it will still be active.

The best way to do pre-clears, however, is from an attached console (if you have one) on your UnRAID system.

Otherwise, use Screen.

Can you explain this?

Screen allows you to start a remote terminal session run some commands (like a preclear) disconnected the remote session and reconnect to the session at a later time. The preclear will continue to run in the background.

Sent from a phone, sorry for any typos

Install UnMenu, then install Screen.    This lets you log into the UnRAID console from your PC.  It's different than using Telnet, as a Telnet sessions ends when you disconnect ...

Thanks so much for explaining this!  I've used UnMenu for a while but haven't discovered Screen yet.

Ideally someone should not have to install unmenu when all they need is screen.

Here is a simple unRAID v5 compliant way to install it. Copy and paste this into the command line. You only need do it once this installs it permanantly. You dont have to do anyting with your go file. If you want to reboot you can even skip the last two lines.

mkdir -p /boot/extra

wget -P /boot/extra http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-13.1/slackware/a/utempter-1.1.4-i486-1.txz

wget -P /boot/extra http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-13.1/slackware/ap/screen-4.0.3-i486-1.txz

installpkg /boot/extra/utempter-1.1.4-i486-1.txz

installpkg /boot/extra/screen-4.0.3-i486-1.txz

Ideally screen should be part od the base install. It is after all a linux package and a good to have for anyone.

I am not sure. I think that is a good idea but equally I dont. Base install stuff should ONLY be if every one needs it or if it is needed for officially supported features. Screen doesnt yet fall into that.

On the other hand I agree it is a super useful tool.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

You have no idea how much that app pisses me off. Cheap google ranking bumping at the expense of spamming forums. I literally dont care that you used Tapatalk on your SGH whatever. rant over .. not your fault :)

You have no idea how much that app pisses me off. Cheap google ranking bumping at the expense of spamming forums. I literally dont care that you used Tapatalk on your SGH whatever. rant over .. not your fault :)

Agreed - I LOATHE Tapatalk.  Thanks for the instructions on screen, will do it after posting this.

Anyway - I upgraded from 4.7 to 5.0 final last night.

I had done a parity check before and after the upgrade.  It is an 8.5 TB array.  Parity time IMPROVED by 3 mins and 21 sec with V5 final.

No errors found in either.

I install my AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 card later today...