Hidden Shares Question

Is there a posibility to only hide a private share to those who don't have access? I dont want the share to be visible to anybody on the network, but as I have read/write access or someone other has read access it would be nice if those two users could see the share allthough its hidden.

Otherwise some combinations of hide and private make no sence to me:

Why would someone want to hide a share when its readable by all who now the name?

Why would someone want to show a share to everybody when not everybody can access it (private)?

Thanks for your answers :-)

This is how Samba works. Credentials are not requested until the share is accessed, so there is no way to know who should see it until an attempt is made.

You could map the hidden shares to a local drive letter, which would make them always visible via that drive letter.

This is how Samba works. Credentials are not requested until the share is accessed, so there is no way to know who should see it until an attempt is made.

You could map the hidden shares to a local drive letter, which would make them always visible via that drive letter.

Thank you very much for the clarification! I did not know this.

This is how Samba works.

I think technically the answer is that's how SMB (Server Message Block) works -- and Samba is just one of many implementations of it.

Wasn't meaning to nit-pick -- but wanted to specify it wasn't a "Samba" limitation....

All SMB can do is either "advertise or not advertise" (in via the SMB 'browser' function) -- there's no mechanism to 'advertise only to certain folks' as it's a broadcast advertisement to all devices.