Plexconnect plugin for AppleTV 2 and AppleTV 3 owners

PlexConnect V3 with certificate

This will install following on your unraid

1. plexconnect

2. screen-4.0.3-i486-1  -> same version as in unmenu needed to run plexconnect in the background

3. Python-2.7.3 -> plexconnect needs Python 2.7 please upgrade packages as SABNZBD/COUCHPOTATO V2/ Sickbeard/ Headphones (you can find updated versions on my github page but i asked influencer to pull them in his fork)

4. git-1.7.4.4-i486-1 -> necessary to pull the new plexconnect versions from the internet

it Uses the complete same framework as the UNPLUGGED plugins so you can start/stop/upgrade/upgrade plg all on the webpage

What it will NOT do:

1. change your EMHTTP port in the go script

you need to change your emhttp port in the go script as plexconnect uses port 80 and 443

only with some firewall portforwarding rules you can change that

but it is easier to just change the emhttp port

open /boot/config/go in your favorite editor (i use the edit function of winscp)

change this line

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

to

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp -p XX &

where XX is a port of your choice... be aware of all ports that are in use by all your plugins...  i used port 90 in my server...

2. make a certificate for use with the new HTTPS version of apple trailers

you have instructions here to make these and inject into your appletv

Windows:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/79540-windows-specific-instructions-for-creating-and-installing-the-ssl-cert/

Mac:

http://langui.sh/2013/08/27/appletv-ssl-plexconnect/

There is no apple client for linux to insert the certificate into your appletv

3. configure your appletv for usage with plexconnect

instructions are here though

https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect/wiki

4. install plex :) there is a plugin for that though

Install instructions for the plugin:

download first time here by clicking save as -> https://raw.github.com/sacretagent/UNplugged/master/Plexconnect_V3_with_Cert.plg

put in /boot/config/plugins

reboot or

installplg /boot/config/plugins/Plexconnect_V3_with_Cert.plg

go to settings -> on the bottom in the unplugged section -> click plexconnect

webpage will open

first set settings on the right side of the screen

- Run as user needs to be root .... has to do something with port rights... i left the option there for smarter linux people then me to make adjustments if necessary for them

- data directory is not really used in my eyes but i left it there too.... it works if you want to ....

- Port has to be 80 ... you can change it to whatever it will not affect things much... only your pid wil have a different name

the ports are taken from the settings.cfg from plexconnect this plugin doesn't make any changes to that file....

then install plexconnect

it will clone the latest version to your unraid into the install directory you set...

BEFORE your start though please COPY your Trailers.pem file into /your_install_directory/assets/certificates

start plexconect

it will start a screen session with plexconnect in the background and if both ports are free and the certificate is found plexconnect will start

for any troubleshooting look into the plexconnect.log in your installdir...

it will tell you if there are any port issues or certificate issues

I tested reboots/upgrades/plg upgrades/ start/ stops all works on my servers

I deserve NO credit for any of this as i just copy pasted plexconnect over the headphones plg file and just figured out a way to start it in the background which i sort of pinched from the ubuntu ini file ....

so only credit i deserve is my google foo  :)

plexconnect_unraid.JPG.b3f5709e285ce3b37ab34e4ea3453a0d.JPG

works like a charm for me, this is awesome.

My only feature, if possible to add I would recommend:

Don't start it unless a .perm file is found, since it is a prereq and people skip prereqs (like me) haha. Not a big addition, but if its simple and possible can solve a lot of headaches for people who are new to PlexConnect and didn't go through the whole cert process last weekend.

ive noticed on reboot/update settings are reset in plexconnect despite the fact I am using a cache drive. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

not sure which settings you are talking about ....

you mean the settings of the plugin ?

or the settings from plexconnect?

normally the settings file from plexconnect should survive a reboot for sure and an upgrade normally too as there is no cfg page in the git branch ...

settings of the plugin should be saved on the flashdrive

ive noticed on reboot/update settings are reset in plexconnect despite the fact I am using a cache drive. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

not sure which settings you are talking about ....

you mean the settings of the plugin ?

or the settings from plexconnect?

normally the settings file from plexconnect should survive a reboot for sure and an upgrade normally too as there is no cfg page in the git branch ...

settings of the plugin should be saved on the flashdrive

it is he plexconnect settings, for instance i change the OSD to show a 12h clock

HI

That is in the ATVSettings.CFG file

only one thing comes to mind inmediately.... if you have installed this on a cache drive... did you set cache only in the share?

otherwise the move will move it ...

i see my ATVSettings.Cfg file is 7 days old and i at least 2 times upgraded since then

but to be honest i think i changed the setttings for transcoding in there 2 days ago through the GUI and it seems the old settings are still in the cfg file...

so it might be a plexconnect bug too...

gonna play with that this afternoon a bit and see if it is a plexconnect bug or not....

Looks like plugin installs fine... i configure data directory to /mnt/disk1/.apps/PlexConnect save then click Install but it doesn't git pull.

I run command manually I'm getting this error: git-remote-https: error while loading shared libraries: libcurl.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

UPDATE: This was on a test PC I was trying out plugin. I installed Sickbeard I was able to git pull so that took care of my error above.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been able to get plexconnect working.  when using the plugin plexconnect would not install.  After reading that another user was able to install it after sickbeard was installed I tried that.  plexconnect installed once sickbeard was installed (is this supposed to be a pre-requisate) but when I start plexconnect I get an error:

screen: error while loading shared libraries: libutempter.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

not sure what's wrong, i have tried deleting and re-installing, but the results are the same.  Is there any other packages required? my unraid version is 5.0 and the only thing I installed was plex.

Thanks

Still not working for me with the new package, getting the errror:

git-remote-https: error while loading shared librarys: libcurl.so.4:

and

cp: cannot stat '/tmp/PlexConnect/*': No such file or directory

This is after a clean unraid v5 install with plex and nothing else

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I just downloaded the plugin and when i click install > I get the message

Cloning PlexConnect

but nothing else happens after that points.  It shows not installed and there's nothing in the install directories (just the directories themselves)

any ideas?

Thanks

Hi

I just downloaded the plugin and when i click install > I get the message

Cloning PlexConnect

but nothing else happens after that points.  It shows not installed and there's nothing in the install directories (just the directories themselves)

any ideas?

Thanks

I installed Sickbeard I was able to git pull so that took care of my error above.  Same issue as dv8ed on the first page.  I think its missing the git pacakge / dependency.  Now I have a 2nd issue:

When I start PlexConnect manually, it works.  When I use the web interface it doesnt.  Manually executing the command from the plugin produces the following error:

screen: error while loading shared libraries: libutempter.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any ideas?

So to my comments above, here's what I found:

1. I solved the screens issue by installing the package available in unmenu.  I think its the same version but when I installed the unraid version I stopped having the dependency issues.  Once that was solved, i have plexconnect running like it should.  With that, you may need to check the git and screen dependencies in the plugin

2. the couchpotato plugin i found on your github, secretagent, didn't install correctly.  it wouldn't pull correctly from the couchpotato git.  I used the official influencer plugin and changes the python to 2.7.3 and i got the plugin working like it should. 

Hope that helps

• 3 weeks later...

just bought my 1 st ATV3 :D, and the new iPad Air, What have you done to enable playback of MKV and Blu Ray from the ATV?

Is this the only solution too play these movies right now?, Would be great if we could summarize the solutions you all done with unRaid & ATV3 so far to be able to play these format ?

Can Itune Server Plugin be able to play movies (mkv & Blu.Ray rip)?

//Peter

just bought my 1 st ATV3 :D, and the new iPad Air, What have you done to enable playback of MKV and Blu Ray from the ATV?

Is this the only solution too play these movies right now?, Would be great if we could summarize the solutions you all done with unRaid & ATV3 so far to be able to play these format ?

Can Itune Server Plugin be able to play movies (mkv & Blu.Ray rip)?

//Peter

Plex connect is the player part. It will play whatever you have in your plex server by transcoding it into a format supported by the appletv.

• 2 weeks later...

it works with ATV3

i have both

only issue i have with my own plugin is that when we reboot the app or upgrade the app that i need to reconfigure the settings on the plexconnect settings page...

before it was easier, all settings were saved on a file .. but they changed this with the myplex implementation

and no time with work to figure that one out for the moment

I've got a few issues:

1) How to I install python.  I've got python-2.7.3-686-5PTr.txz in the extra folder within the flash drive, and it won't install when I reboot at all.  Plexconnect plugin automatically installed python.

2)  I can access Plex Connect in my unraid server via unmenu gui, but it says, Status: NOT INSTALLED.  When I click on the install button, and doesn't doesn't install.

3) I change the ports via go file from 80 to 8008, but if I type //tower:8080, I can still access unmenu what's up with this?