Plexconnect plugin for AppleTV 2 and AppleTV 3 owners

• 2 months later...

I have a few questions.

Note: I am running the free unraid version with no cache drive

Once the plugin is visible in settings - unplugged plg and you go to install it, I do not understand the install directory section. If I install it to the default /usr/local/PlexConnect, how would I go about putting the certificate in there? "BEFORE your start though please COPY your Trailers.pem file into /your_install_directory/assets/certificates start plexconect" Also, if I install it to that directory, I get "WARNING: Your Data Directory is not persistent and WILL NOT survive a reboot. Please locate Data Directory on disk for persistency".  I do not know how to navigate to that directory.

The default install directory is into ram/memory is that correct? Wont that directory be wiped out on a reboot?

I am very new to this. Thank you.

there is a new version from the Apple Configurator in the appstore..

it is quite a bit different then the one from the screenshots in the manual to make the cert. file

as a result (and since i have no f**** clue what the hell i'm doing), it bricked my atv3  ;D

o well, just restore factory settings and we're good to go again..

think i better stick with the airplay function within plex (on ipad) for now

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok so I have been using plexConnect for several weeks now with some success but it is much slower than it seems like it should be and is kind of inconsistent.

About half of the time when i go to open up a video using plexconnect on my ATV, i just get the spinning loading icon for a long time and then it will time out.  When this happens, sometimes if I try again, it just works or sometimes I have to reboot my AppleTV for it to work.

similarly, very often when we try to load up a hulu or netflix video (or even load up the hulu or netflix app), it hangs and hangs and eventually times out.

It is happening enough that my wife is asking about switching to roku. :(

so... I know that this is a plexConnect issue because if I change the DNS setting back to default on the appleTV, Hulu and Netflix work perfectly (and much faster).

So I am wondering what is wrong with my plexConnect setup that could be causing this.

I was just looking through the settings.cfg file (posted below) and I noticed a couple of odd things.

ip_plexConnect is set to 0.0.0.0 - is this correct of should this be set to the ip of tmy unaid server that plexconnect is installed on?

ip_pms is set to 192.168.178.10 - should this be set to the ip address of my unraid server which has plex installed?  if so that is not the correct ip address (not sure where that IP came from)

[PlexConnect]

port_pms = 32400

port_webserver = 80

ip_plexconnect = 0.0.0.0

certfile = ./assets/certificates/trailers.pem

ip_dnsmaster = 192.168.5.1

loglevel = Normal

enable_dnsserver = True

logpath = .

ip_pms = 192.168.178.10

enable_plexgdm = True

hosttointercept = trailers.apple.com