Lian Li, Mini ITX build

Towards the case wall, so it doesn't interfere with the designed airflow in the case.

Don't want to start an argument but where did you get this information?  The only "official" information I could find was from the Lian-Li site where they have a picture of a PSU to be inserted into the case and the fan is facing CPU: http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q25/

Also my own logic says that you should get as much hot air away from the CPU area as possible and PSU fan will help in this. If the fan was facing the wall it would in my mind interfere with the logical air flow since some of the air coming from the front fan would have to somehow diverted to that side and not going straight through the drive cage and to the CPU area and towards the top fan.

No argument.  I suspect the reality is it doesn't make much (if any) difference, especially if you're using a supply like the CX430, where the entire cavity is essentially filled, thus already restricting airflow.

Note that the Lian-Li picture you refer to is accompanied by a note:  "... Stanrdard ATX PS/2 power supply unit with cooling fan, it can be facing the motherboard which are passive cooled. "

In other words, if you used a passively cooled motherboard (e.g. without its own heatsink fan), then you can mount the power supply in that direction.

The reality is it probably doesn't matter ... but the case is designed for exhaust air to exit through the top fan -- and I think adding a fan that opposes that flow isn't going to enhance overall cooling.

As for diverting air from the front fans  :) ==>  those fans blow directly over the drives.  Once the air leaves that point, it's almost certainly going to rise and go out the upper exhaust ... but even if it doesn't, it's already done its job r.e. flowed over the drives.    There's plenty of air intake on the bottom of the case to support the air needed for a PSU.

Finally, note that virtually all modern PSU's (including the newer version of the CX430's) have thermally controlled fans that either run VERY slow, or actually turn off, unless the PSU requires the airflow.    With a SFF UnRAID setup, a 450w PSU is unlikely to ever exceed 20-25% of its capacity ... and the fan may very well be off (or at minimum speed if it doesn't turn off) anyway.

Bottom line:  Mount it in whichever direction you want.    If you're truly concerned about having good airflow in the case, the solution isn't to optimize the direction the fan is facing => it's to not use an ATX supply at all.    Use an SFX unit, which allows FAR better airflow, regardless of which direction you mount its fan  :) :)

So I mounted the CX430M and I've decided to send it back. The size of the PSU doesn't bother me much, but the cables are long enough to fit into a much larger case. I don't like all the excess. Hopefully the Silverstone SFX has shorter cables. I'm going to crack open my desktop (which has the SFX) to compare.

As I noted before, I've used both the Silverstone SF45SF and the SF45SF-G modular version with that case.    The non-modular version is almost perfect for this case ... the cables aren't overly long;  there's plenty of room left over in the case; etc.    The ONE cable on the unit you simply don't need is a PCIe auxiliary power cable (for PCIe video cards that need auxiliary power).  I simply cut that off ~ 3/4" from where it comes out of the PSU.  Use wire snips and it will cut very neatly, and the wire itself will still be in the sheath.      ... or you can buy the modular version and simply not connect that cable.

No argument.  I suspect the reality is it doesn't make much (if any) difference, especially if you're using a supply like the CX430, where the entire cavity is essentially filled, thus already restricting airflow...

You made a lot of good points here and as I said I really don't have any hard facts on this. I will definitely try facing the fan on the wall with my other Silverstone SFX PSU based build and see how it feels.

Yes, the Q25B is a really nice case.    I've built 4 systems with it, and have two more new cases I bought last month when Newegg had a really good sale on them.

I definitely prefer using SFX power supplies, however => I've built one with a CX430, and every one since has used the Silverstone SFX units, which provide MUCH better airflow.  Here's a picture of the case with an SFX PSU:

DBInternals.jpg.e32d9080124ef6f807fe0918bf0ffdc2.jpg

I've got the upgraded server pieced together except for the PSU. I plan on ordering the Silverstone SFX, but I'm going to give ti a dry run with another PSU I have first just to make sure everything is in order. I would hate to order the PSU only to find out that something else is busted and the whole thing won't work, anyway.

Parts came in for second build. Have my wife drafting and modeling a chassis very similar what will hold 7 3.5" and 8 2.5" drives.

What do you plan to build it out of?    ... and why all the 2.5" drives?    Note that with current densities, a single 5TB 3.5" drive (available in Dec) is the equivalent of 5 2.5" drives (at 1TB each).

At those densities, you can already get VERY close with the PC-Q25B.  The bottom tray holds 2 3.5" plus 1 2.5" drive.    With an SFX supply and a custom-made spacer, you could mount one more 3.5" drive above the one on the tray.    This would provide the storage equivalent of 7 3.5" drives plus 6 2.5" drives ... with no case mods.

Not saying it's not a neat idea ... but unless you have an aluminum fabrication capability, it's hard to imagine how you'll build one that comes even close to the Lian-Li quality.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you plan to build it out of and why all the 2.5" drives?

First, you're absolutely dead on with the quality of Lian Li's PC-Q25B. It is an outstanding case. I am really impressed with it. I bought multiple more of that model and another that is similar but less drive space and has a 5.25" slot for cdrom. The latter model is to build out some small footprint desktops for a friend. Picked up an extra to build my wife a proper PC so she isn't always using her massive Precision series Dell laptop or the Wyse zero client at home.

I'm going to continue using the Q25 because it rocks for small builds. I still have my 15bay (3) 5:3 supermicro cage Helios and a Norco 12 bay 2U.

All that to say I have plenty of storage space and mostly just enjoy tinkering with more as a hobby or some form of twisted expensive addiction.

I intend on having so many SSDs because I currently have, literally, I can snap a photo later when I go into the back home office... (8) 500GB Samsung 830s, (11) 256GB Samsung 840 pros, (5) Samsung 120/128GB Evo (new, just came in forget size), (10) 240GB Mushkin Chronos drives, an an assortment of lightly used/tested drives from 8GB to 500GB. The previous counts are just new in box.

I have so many because I keep doing massive SSD db cache builds similar to fusion io, but on my own. I end up having drives for spares, warranty, etc and always order if there is a good deal. So 8 SSD gives me a good array of just SSD for some massive disk IO tests.

Have to remember I run the Usenet index and always test new builds at home and in the DC. I also have other apps I develop that require even high io. My biggest database is doing about 3M iops right now with combo of SSD cache, SSD array for archive and 15k rpm drives.

As far as fabrication goes, between some friends I can have just about anything fabricated, machined, etc. I just got some new stuff in I had her design for my bitcoin asic rigs to better increase hot/cold on the smaller footprint that is more efficient than doing it in our APC inflow cabinets.

I'm a geek.. always tinkering.. but more extreme I guess. With my health being as crappy as it's been for a few months now (headed to Mayo in Rochester this Saturday) I am working from home and get bored.

I also volunteer with a local school's program, Tulsa Engineering and Sciences Program for middle school through high school students, to help build robots from FLL (Lego league) through larger non kit. They need some storage and the schools can't fork out or wont, so I am building them a 7x2TB array with raid 6 and 120GB ssd cache. Again, Lian li.

As far as Psu I stopped using Cx430 after first build and went SFX. Much better, you're right with that. Might do some fan swapping to some Scythe gentle typhoons maybe.

All that ranting.. in short.. why not? I get bored/distracted easily.

Well I fired up my build (based on this general design) tonight, and it looks like it works! The processor is a Core i5-2500K so I'm going to try my hand at some virtualbox (once the cache drive is installed, of course)!  :)

Nice. Good to hear. Performing well?

It's cool to have access to fabrication facilities -- I used to know a really superb machinist with a lot of top-notch equipment, but he's unfortunately passed away and I don't know anyone else with those skills.

In addition to the PC-Q25B, I really like the PC-Q28B, which is a very good case for a desktop, as it supports an optical drive plus 4 3.5" internal units.    I'm thinking about using this one for a new system for my wife.

It's cool to have access to fabrication facilities -- I used to know a really superb machinist with a lot of top-notch equipment, but he's unfortunately passed away and I don't know anyone else with those skills.

In addition to the PC-Q25B, I really like the PC-Q28B, which is a very good case for a desktop, as it supports an optical drive plus 4 3.5" internal units.    I'm thinking about using this one for a new system for my wife.

Do it. Let me know how it builds.  Send me some photos. I need to put a mid range quaddro in her desktop. Like keeping her with a smile. She has been happy I've been feeling modestly better and feeling out a bit these last two days. I ordered Ubiquiti edgemax routers and Ubiquiti UniFI access points for five of my friends for being so supportive. Now infer to support setting them up :)

I'll let you know what I get.

While I do think the PC-Q28B is an excellent choice for a desktop case; I AM toying with the idea of building one in the following case just for the "SLICK" factor  :)

It doesn't hold nearly the drives of a PC-Q28B -- it only holds a single 3.5" drive and a slimline optical drive => but with a nice 2TB hybrid drive and an i7-4770 it would be a screaming little system that could REALLY "chug along" quite nicely  :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112393

• 5 months later...

It fits perfectly (as noted by trurl above).      Note that if your supplier has them, there's a newer 300w Silverstone SFX unit that's an even better choice, as it will be operating in its more efficient range at the lower power levels a mini-ITX system will draw.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=458&area=en