[Solved] PERC H310 causing system not to boot

I flashed a H310 with dell HBA firmware using my test system (ASUS P5N-D, 8GB PC2 RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo) and everything went flawless. However, when I moved the RAID card over to my main system (ASUS P7P55D-E Pro, 10GB PC3 RAM, Intel Core i3), it will not even boot. Everything powers on, but it never goes to BIOS or anything. There is a feature on my motherboard called the "MemOK" light. It's an LED that lights up whenever it detects a memory issue. This light comes on every single time I try to boot with the H310 installed. If I remove the H310 and literally touch nothing else, the system starts up fine. Put the H310 back in, light comes on, system won't boot. Does anyone have any ideas?

A red MEM-OK light indicates that there is a problem with the memory causing the system to hang.  Knowing that it was working fine before adding the card (and that the card was working fine before in another system) I propose to you this possible scenario and solution:

You installed the card and the added pressure from the screwed in PCI plate is warping the motherboard, causing continuity issues to throw memory errors.

Loosen the card and see if you have better results.  If not, make some adjustments to the mounting screws on your motherboard.  If you still have problems, pop out ram sticks one at a time to see if you can find the loose connection.

I removed and re-seated both the card and the RAM multiple times, each with the same results: no booting when the H310 is installed. After the first couple times reseating the card, I stopped screwing it in and just let it sit there. I tried removing 3 sticks of RAM and running with one stick in slot B1 with the same results. I will try tonight though running with one stick at a time in each slot and post back with results.

You say you re-seated the card.  Did you by chance change slots as well?

Something else you could try would be to manually set the memory voltage, speed, and timings in the BIOS when it's powered on and working.  This would take MEM OK! out of the equation as being the issue.  Leaving them set to AUTO is, as a general rule, less ideal.

Still no luck. Followed your suggestions, still no boot. I have tried all available PCI2 x16 slots in all of my machines. Only works on the old Asus P5N-D. I tried it in a third system with an AMD board, exact same results (this board doesn't have the memOK feature though). I even have a second, non-flashed H310 that performs exactly the same as the one I flashed (except in the working system, it goes through the BIOS of the card and doesn't work with unraid). Won't boot on the two other systems.

SOLVED! Solved solved solved!

I can across this post from MHzTweaker: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28727.msg256252#msg256252.

In turn, he had posted this link: http://yannickdekoeijer.blogspot.com/2012/04/modding-dell-perc-6-sas-raidcontroller.html

Sure enough, after sticking a piece of electrical tape over pins B5 and B6, the card now boots on all of my systems. Attached is a picture. Once I had flashed the card, literally the electrical tape was the thing to get it to work. I've attached a picture of the card, and below is a link to the zip file I used to flash the card. Instructions are in the file. I'll also update the LSI controller thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4kadyukkh2w497/Flash%20Dell%20PERC%20H310%20for%20unRAID.zip

Capture.JPG.92c2e32733d6d983f35b69790afbb2ad.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

SOLVED! Solved solved solved!

I can across this post from MHzTweaker: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28727.msg256252#msg256252.

In turn, he had posted this link: http://yannickdekoeijer.blogspot.com/2012/04/modding-dell-perc-6-sas-raidcontroller.html

Sure enough, after sticking a piece of electrical tape over pins B5 and B6, the card now boots on all of my systems. Attached is a picture. Once I had flashed the card, literally the electrical tape was the thing to get it to work. I've attached a picture of the card, and below is a link to the zip file I used to flash the card. Instructions are in the file. I'll also update the LSI controller thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4kadyukkh2w497/Flash%20Dell%20PERC%20H310%20for%20unRAID.zip

any side effects of this? I've been running a perc h310 for about 2 weeks now, and just realized that i'm suffering from the memory issue (on my x58 mobo, it just disabled one dimm slot).

i stumbled on this when i was trying to see if this is compatible with the intel expander (don't know how i got a hit, but glad i did)!

• 4 weeks later...

any side effects of this? I've been running a perc h310 for about 2 weeks now, and just realized that i'm suffering from the memory issue (on my x58 mobo, it just disabled one dimm slot).

i stumbled on this when i was trying to see if this is compatible with the intel expander (don't know how i got a hit, but glad i did)!

Sorry for the very delayed response, I've not been browsing the forums very much. I haven't noticed any side effects, my server has been running solid ever since I've installed the h310.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this thread.  Bought two used H310's, and as expected my system wouldn't boot with either.  The tape trick fixed both, up and running now.  Flashed with the Dell firmware.

• 3 weeks later...

This is pretty much the case for any Dell PERC Card being used on a non-Dell motherboard.

No, this is not generally valid.

I have at least 2 H310 cards on different non-Dell boards running without the taping mod.

If I remember correctly, the issue is related to the PCIe slot dedicated for graphic cards.

This is pretty much the case for any Dell PERC Card being used on a non-Dell motherboard.

No, this is not generally valid.

I have at least 2 H310 cards on different non-Dell boards running without the taping mod.

If I remember correctly, the issue is related to the PCIe slot dedicated for graphic cards.

Me too.  They work on my N54L and on my Tyan S5512 MBs without problems.
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

omg I'm so glad I found this thread!! I also just bought a Dell H310 off eBay. It was preflashed to IT mode with P20 firmware as per the eBay seller's listing. I installed it into my computer (Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H) and it wouldn't POST!! It would just cycle on and off, perpetually resetting! It's my first "server grade" HBA card. I was previously using an IOCrest SI-PEX40057 (based on the Marvell 88SE9230) and the piece of crap died less than one year!! I was so scared for my data!!

Then I came across this thread after a couple google searches. Electrical tape on B5 and B6 eh??

srYy4nrl.jpg

IT WORKED!!! THANKS!!!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/6/2013 at 5:07 AM, master.h said:

Sure enough, after sticking a piece of electrical tape over pins B5 and B6

Saved me as well. Thank you very much for the post... 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

And another thank you. Bought a pre-flashed (p20, IT mode) off Amazon and the unRAID box stopped posting exactly as described above. Put it into a newish Ryzen build and everything worked as expected. Spent na afternoon trying to reflash without the boot bios assuming in desperation that was the problem. Nope. Just not enough tape.

Moved all my drives from the onboard controller to the HBA and unRAID automatically mapped them correctly on first boot and the array started up with no trouble. Thanks!!!!

• 11 months later...

Can't believe this is an issue.

My Dell HBA330 wasn't POSTing in any slot, and the board wiped my BIOS after 3 retries along with all the profiles I saved over the last few years. Eventually stumbled along to this thread from a google search.  Real pain to get a tiny bit of tape on there and not move when putting it into the slot (will come off when removing), but it did work.

Now I know why eBay is full of Dell cards..

Don't suppose setting the global options in the card's config to "bypass hook" would avoid the need for this mod?  Assuming those options even stick.

• 1 month later...

Thank you again to the magic of all of you on the internet. Moved a Dell H310 flashed to IT mode from a motherboard it was working just fine on [an Asrock H81M-HDS] to a new motherboard [Gigabyte H87-D3H] and the system would not POST with the HBA installed. Moved it to a couple other boards and they didn't boot either. Google led me to this thread, figured hey why not try it. Sure enough, tape over the 2 pins, installed the HBA, and the system booted no problem. Awesome. 

• 2 months later...

Hello, i know the thread is old, but i m facing the same issue.

I bought a SilverStone SST- ECS04 with LSISAS2308 controler (LSI 9217-8i).

I wil be used to create a raid 1 in order to install Esxi 6.7, but i am not able to see it under the POST process.

The card is installed in a Z370M-ITX/ac. so after google the issue, i see this topic, so a i tape over the 2 pins but not luck, still undetectable.

I tried in an other PC and yes, this do the trick in an other motherboard (Z170 PRO GAMING).

So, i would like to know if by chance, someone here, have an idea ?

Best regards, 

PS : sorry for my bad english :-)

I know that this is a semi-dead thread, but I just wanted to show some appreciation, and let anyone in the future know that this completely solved the issue I was having with a Dell x540-t2 10GBE NIC. When I first installed the card, I got memory errors any time I had a DIMM inserted into slot 4 on my Lenovo ThinkStation P300, additionally, while I could still boot with a stick installed in slot 3, the RAM would not show in BIOS or the OS, so it appeared that the NIC was somehow blocking an entire channel of memory. After applying this tape mod, I could boot with all 4 8GB sticks installed, post was normal and my FreeNass install picked up on all 32GB.