Corrupted Drive

Upgraded from 16c to final. Everything went smoothly. Only one small oddity. My disk 12 became read only (User shares that included that drive also became read only...)...

I verified the privileges for users were set correctly, I ran newperms, I tried to chmod it, nothing seemed to fix it...

I then resorted to the old adage: "If it ain't working, try a reboot"... Lo and behold... Disk 12 became read/write again.... All is good :). Just thought I'd post in case others are having a similar experience...

Note: Frankly, I'm not even 100% sure it is related to the upgrade because I only noticed the problem after running 5.0 Final for a few days. Nothing else was changed, so that's why assume it was the upgrade...

Whatever the case, great work Tom! It was a long road to get here, but well worth the wait :)

Upgraded from 16c to final. Everything went smoothly. Only one small oddity. My disk 12 became read only (User shares that included that drive also became read only...)...

I verified the privileges for users were set correctly, I ran newperms, I tried to chmod it, nothing seemed to fix it...

I then resorted to the old adage: "If it ain't working, try a reboot"... Lo and behold... Disk 12 became read/write again.... All is good :). Just thought I'd post in case others are having a similar experience...

Note: Frankly, I'm not even 100% sure it is related to the upgrade because I only noticed the problem after running 5.0 Final for a few days. Nothing else was changed, so that's why assume it was the upgrade...

Whatever the case, great work Tom! It was a long road to get here, but well worth the wait :)

might want to check that drive. Linux in general will remount a drive read only if there are too many errors reported.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

might want to check that drive. Linux in general will remount a drive read only if there are too many errors reported.

That occurred to me as well, and I ran a short smart test without errors, but I'll run a full one just in case...

has nothing to do with SMART, but a detected file-system-check-error will result in it being re-mounted as READ-ONLY.

Best t check the file-system with

reiserfsck --check /dev/md12

has nothing to do with SMART, but a detected file-system-check-error will result in it being re-mounted as READ-ONLY.

Best t check the file-system with

reiserfsck --check /dev/md12

Right again, Joe! I ran reiserfsck, and looks like there are some issues with the drive. Here's the error it output:

Replaying journal: Done. Reiserfs journal '/dev/md12' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 
transactions replayed Checking internal tree.. \/ 21 (of 26// 82 (of 169// 45 
(of 170-block 310444033: The level of the node (0) is not correct, (1) 
expected the problem in the internal node occured (310444033)finished \ 
Comparing bitmaps..vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmaps differs. Bad 
nodes were found, Semantic pass skipped 1 found corruptions can be fixed only 
when running with --rebuild-tree

How do you recommend I proceed?

Thanks!

[EDIT] Mods: Just realized I might be dragging this thread off track, so please feel free to move it over to support! :). My issue appears to be unrelated to this release!

I checked the other drives in my array, and looks like drive2 also needs a rebuild! I wonder how long these drives have been corrupted without my knowing...

Some thoughts:

1. Could this be a contributing factor as to why I was getting an occasional random red balled drive that passed all smart tests and rebuilt without issue?

2. Could this be why my parity checks are a bit pokier than I like? (Not terrible, but rarely over 60MB/s)

Also, can I rebuild multiple drives simultaneously or do they need to be done one at a time?

Thanks!

I checked the other drives in my array, and looks like drive2 also needs a rebuild! I wonder how long these drives have been corrupted without my knowing...

Some thoughts:

1. Could this be a contributing factor as to why I was getting an occasional random red balled drive that passed all smart tests and rebuilt without issue?

Possibly.

2. Could this be why my parity checks are a bit pokier than I like? (Not terrible, but rarely over 60MB/s)

No, but they could have a common cause. More likely due to slow drives.

Also, can I rebuild multiple drives simultaneously or do they need to be done one at a time?

Yes, but it will take longer than doing each one at a time.