Not getting IP Address From Router ( No Web Console)

I am rather new to UnRAID, this my first post. So it may be rather long as i am not sure what information is pertinent to figure out what is causing the issue.

First off i am running UnRAID 5.0 rc16c with a Pro license 

Mobo: ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 (16GB)

CPU: AMD Phenom x4 965

There is no parity drive, there are three 2TB, one 3TB, and one 1TB data drives. Also there is a 500GB cache drive with nothing on it.

Flash drive is a Kingston Data traveler (16GB) http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/personal_business?gclid=CMCWqeT6xrkCFbFDMgod0g0ASA#dtse9h

I have installed UnMenu, Simple features, plex, couch-potato, SAB, and sickbeard. None of which are configured, all drives have been precleared.

Router IP: 192.168.0.2 (DHCP)  Lease from 192.168.0.100-149

Desktop computer used to maintain server IP: 192.168.0.147

when the server was connecting to the network it was getting an IP of 192.168.0.160, PUTTY and web console both worked fine. transferred approx 6TB of data from the desktop to the server. during  mid transfer desktop was not able to locate the share. checked to see if windows still saw it on the network by going to command prompt and typing in "net view" it saw the server listed as TOWER. Next to make sure that it was getting an IP i went to the router to check that the DHCP reservation was still there and that it showed the system online. Being that it showed everything online i tried establishing a Telnet connection. I was able to get in so i had the server reboot by typing in reboot, after that it was unable to get an IP address and i could not see it on the network.

Ok, I just tried replacing (overwriting the existing) the files for UnRAID 5.0 rc16c  and the simple features on my flash drive thinking it may be a bad or corrupt file, however when i boot now all i get is a screen saying:

SYSLINUX 3.72 2008-09-25 EBIOS Copyright © 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin

however when i search based on this issue i find this thread. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=23328.0

According to  Frank1940

Since this 'fixes' your flashdrive and allows it to boot properly, it can only be assumed that there are file system errors on the flashdrive and these are not present when unRAID boots the first time.  Thus they are being created while unRAID is running.  Now if I understand how the flashdrive is used in unRAID, it basically only writes to the flashdrive on shutdown to save certain parameter settings.  (This saves the flashdrive from constant writes which would lead to its early demise.)  My guess would be that you have a bad flashdrive but you are going to be testing for this. (At least, you indicated this...)

You might also indicate if you are running any plug-in applications as a bad configuration on one of these could cause a problem.

would a complete format and rebuild of the flash drive resolve these issues? if i do that will i loos the data that i have already added to the array? any insight is greatly appreciated. Also forgot to mention if i didn't say i had created the flash drive from a windows 8 box, i am also using to maintain the server via WEB\ PUTTY. Until the issues are taken care of however i am direct connect to it.

First, I'd reformat your flash drive (be sure to label it UnRAID); copy the entire v5.0 distribution to it; and run "Makebootable" with admin privileges.

Then see if that boots okay (it should).    Then start adding your plug-ins/add-ons one-at-a-time and check after each one to confirm what's causing problems.

Be sure to save your Pro.key file before formatting the flash drive (you should have it safely backed up somewhere anyway) ... and add it to the drive after you've reformatted it.

Ok, I will try that and Post the results here. Will this compromise my data on the HDD's?

No. Just don't accidentally assign a data drive as parity, or click format if it's offered as an option. If you see an option to format a drive you know to already have data on it, STOP, collect a syslog, zip it up and post it here.

Ok i just tried formatting the drive as FAT32 and unzipping UnRAID 5.0 and putting that on the root of the drive. However after i put the drive back into the server and try to boot from it. I get and error message saying:

An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system.

I have double checked that the drive is set to boot as priority device in BIOS, in fact i disabled all other devices. Do you think this might be a bad drive? It reads fine in windows.

Ok i went back and ran "makebootable" and now i am able to boot to the drive, i logged in as root however i am still not getting an IP address as i do not see it listed under DHCP reservation. Is there a command to run on the server to force it to sync. ifconfig brings up the NIC however i do not see an IP listed. I do know about the network file in the config folder for setting static IP but i thought that was just for if you do not have DHCP running.

Ok, i believe i made some headway. i manually started the network service by following this post http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2111.0 however i could not go directly to the directory for some reason, i had to go folder by folder. ( cd /. [ls], cd etc [ls], cd rc.d)anyway after i did that and got back to root i used the reboot option then the system rebooted and i started it in safe mode.

After it was started in safe mode i checked the router to see if it got an address. It did checked to see if disks were listed and they were. Now i will try and put the key back on the drive and the plugins, i will post the results here.

Ok so far so good, install of unmenu and simple features worked. however i have to type //tower to get to simple features  when i type 192.168.0.104 it takes me to a different view. although when i type 192.168.0.104:8080 it takes me to unmenu.

once it booted up with the key i was able to add the drives and start the array and it shows the data full on the drives. however i do not see the shares tab also when i brows for the samba shares in windows it does not show the server.  Is it safe to assume that i have to recreate permissions for the array? If so how do i do so? under utils i see upgrade utilities there is an option for new config (which appears to mark the drives as new so they can be formatted i assume) then there is an option for new permissions however it says "This is a one-time action to be taken after upgrading from a pre-5.0 unRAID server release to version 5.0" so i assume its for older versions to allow ownership of files as the file structure was different.

what do i need to type in to give myself permission as i started with 5.0 rc16c and reinstalled the same thing?

• 2 months later...