Parity upgrade instructions?

I am not sure if there are detailed instructions (I expect there are in the wiki), but the steps are very simple:

• Run a parity check on your current drives - you do not want to do an upgrade of the parity drive if you have any issues with your data disks.  Also make sure that no data disks are red-balled..
  • Stop the array and unassign the parity drive so the array is temporarily unprotected.
  • Swap the old parity drive for the new one (this may involve stopping/starting your server if it does not support hot-swapping of drives.
  • Put the old parity drive somewhere safe for a while (this is your protection against a data drive failing while doing the swap to the new parity drive).
  • Assign the new parity drive.  Start the array to create parity on the new drive.
  • In theory when this completes you are finished - but you might want to do a NOCORRECT parity check to confirm everything is OK. 
  • At this point you can re-use your old parity drive as you will no longer need it as insurance as your array is once again protected.

I'd like to ask a clarification question here - mainly because I will be doing this very soon myself.

Is the unassignment of the parity drive necessary?? It's been a long, long time since I changed mine, but all I remember doing is just swapping out the old one for the new one and unRAID realised the change and rebuilt parity. Still...my memory is flawed :(

Is the unassignment of the parity drive necessary?

It wasn't with v4.7, but I'm not sure about v5.    I know you do need to do it if the drive's been red-balled; but I don't think it's necessary if you simply swap the drives.    I'd just shut down; swap the drives; and restart and see if it automatically starts the rebuild.    If not, you can simply do the stop/unassign/start/stop/assign/start sequence then  :)

• 1 month later...

Since the old parity drive has been rather well "tested" in daily use as a parity drive, you can skip the pre-read and post-read parts of the pre-clear cycle -- but it's still a good idea to use pre-clear to prep the disk, so it will only take a few minutes to add it to the array, instead of the many hours it would take to clear it.

Just use the -n option with the pre-clear command.

i.e. to pre-clear disk sdx, use:

preclear_disk.sh -n /dev/sdx

That will take about 1/4th as long as a full pre-clear cycle.

After you've added it to the array and formatted it, you should do a correcting parity check just to confirm all is well.